D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 240 55.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 195 44.8%

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Without a supernatural explanation nothing sets folk hero apart than their reputation in areas where word of their reputation has not spread.
I don't agree. A supernatural explanation is ONE path to explain it (with various branches of its own), but so is... frankly, "Rustic Charm". There's just something about them - be it Charisma, humility, a certain look, the right sort of manners, a personal commonality, an innate understanding of commoner culture, traditions, idioms, superstition, or upbringing - that speaks to SOMEONE in the area they are in (it doesn't have to speak to everyone in the area) that they have a high chance of meeting a person that will bed/hide/help them when they are in need. If they're not in need, then it doesn't matter, does it?

see

Pedantic Grognard
5e continues the alignment languages, albeit they evolve into Celestial, Infernal, and Abyssal.
Not really. There's a serious conceptual difference between "Every single being in the universe who is Lawful Good speaks the Lawful Good alignment tongue, which they didn't have to learn and which they cease to be able to speak if they change alignment, and the only non-Lawful Good beings who can learn to speak it are assassins, who have that special abaility as a class feature" and "All the inhabitants of the Upper Planes speak a single language, which anyone who can learn languages can learn."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Not really. There's a serious conceptual difference between "Every single being in the universe who is Lawful Good speaks the Lawful Good alignment tongue, which they didn't have to learn and which they cease to be able to speak if they change alignment, and the only non-Lawful Good beings who can learn to speak it are assassins, who have that special abaility as a class feature" and "All the inhabitants of the Upper Planes speak a single language, which anyone who can learn languages can learn."
Both are weird. But languages have always been weird in D&D, and the pidgin that is "common" is there to make 90% of anyone's concern about language moot anyhow.

Oofta

Legend
I don't agree. A supernatural explanation is ONE path to explain it (with various branches of its own), but so is... frankly, "Rustic Charm". There's just something about them - be it Charisma, humility, a certain look, the right sort of manners, a personal commonality, an innate understanding of commoner culture, traditions, idioms, superstition, or upbringing - that speaks to SOMEONE in the area they are in (it doesn't have to speak to everyone in the area) that they have a high chance of meeting a person that will bed/hide/help them when they are in need. If they're not in need, then it doesn't matter, does it?

The description of the background, the examples they give make it clear. A commoner did something awesome, word of it spread and now he's a folk hero. Without that word of their awesomeness, he's just an everyday Joe like 90% of the population and PCs that selected most of the other backgrounds.

Other than the background feature text, nothing other than their reputation sets them apart. Without that reputation there's no justification for the background feature.

But I'm done arguing about this. Have a good one.

Someone with a criminal background will know more about how criminals work and think, will likely have advantage on checks or I'll just give them info I wouldn't provide other characters.
Although this does take the flavor out of the background features, maybe that is where the compromise is. A nice, tagged line that simply says: "Since the world of D&D is eclectic and broad and varied, these background features may not work in all situations. Therefore, the DM can instead interpret the feature to grant advantage on skill checks that might be appropriate to the background."

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Thinking about it, I realize that Backgrounds seem to be written with the idea that they're an archetypal role in a movie or something. Like your character is cast as a the "wise man" or "brash young hero" or "smuggler with a heart of gold" and the narrative treats you as such wherever you go.

It's really avante garde for D&D, something you'd normally find in an Indie game like Hong Kong Action Theatre.

Oofta

Legend
Although this does take the flavor out of the background features, maybe that is where the compromise is. A nice, tagged line that simply says: "Since the world of D&D is eclectic and broad and varied, these background features may not work in all situations. Therefore, the DM can instead interpret the feature to grant advantage on skill checks that might be appropriate to the background."
That's why I currently work with the players to make a background and figure out these details. If they want anything more than just proficiencies of course. I think the 2024 edition will do a better job from the previews.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That, honestly would be a better way (IMO) to word a "Background Feature" in the first place: "You get Advantage on ability checks when... [a short list of things appropriate to your background] and when dealing with NPCs who are sympathetic to your background".

Will NPCs give you free room and board or help you hide or whatever? If it's appropriate and you roll successfully on whatever check your DM asks of you.

Remove ads