D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 245 54.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 207 45.8%

Yeah
It feels like you and I might just picture oozes and tripping and prone differently? I will take my momentary edition victory for this (that the 5e creators agree with me) as balancing out the places I don't like and they agree with you. <Insert deflated "Yay" sound in the background.>

View attachment 359662View attachment 359663
Correct. I usually imagine it as having 2 forms. A slimy form and a yelly like form.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
@Gimby
I'm happy to rag on things I think are silly in 3.5 (or any other edition) too - and trippable oozes are on my list.

My efforts to find a thread to necro and complain that 3.5 allows oozes to be tripped has been thwarted by the 3.5 FAQ:

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Yeah

Correct. I usually imagine it as having 2 forms. A slimy form and a yelly like form.

On the other hand, I have an image in my head of the green slime being a creature that walked upright to chase folks. Is there some art somewhere like that that in an old edition, or am I hallucinating things like an AI?

Vaalingrade

Legend
@Gimby

My efforts to find a thread to necro and complain that 3.5 allows oozes to be tripped has been thwarted by the 3.5 FAQ:

Ah, 3x's patented 'reality is unrealistic' schtick. Tell me you've never interacted with a snake without telling my you've never interacted with a snake (or a balloon).

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Ah, 3x's patented 'reality is unrealistic' schtick. Tell me you've never interacted with a snake without telling my you've never interacted with a snake (or a balloon).

Ah, I would certainly allow a player to try and roll the snake over a few times in something akin to tripping. (I still don't think the powers that be would like me necroing up an old thread to do it in).

So anyway, I will certainly concede the point to you about discombobulating legless things with an up and down (or equivalent) locomotive orientation. [5e, in regards to snakes at least, seems to agree.]

Faolyn

(she/her)
I thought the whole point of CaGI was to force the opponent to move in ways it might not want or intend to; i.e. toward you so you could smack it one.
Ah; I was looking at the wrong ability. There's also a Come and Get Me ability. I'm sure that caused absolutely no problems at the table.

OK, yeah, that looks not-mundane, although I could easily imagine it in a mundane way.

Stormonu

Legend
On the other hand, I have an image in my head of the green slime being a creature that walked upright to chase folks. Is there some art somewhere like that that in an old edition, or am I hallucinating things like an AI?
Well, considering that green slime turns whatever it touches into green slime, I could see a version either where a humanoid is being transformed slowly enough to be a zombie-like, decomposing form dripping with green slime but still intact enough to be moving about on two legs. Or a case where the mind (soul) of the transformed individual is somehow able to "remember" its old self enough to mimic a bipedal form.

This needs to be statted up as a monster ... Green Slime Zombie and Green Slime Revanant.

Remove ads