D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 245 54.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 206 45.7%

soviet

Hero
That's the fundamental difference in opinion this disagreement is about. People simply see the relationship of the mechanics and fiction differently. Whether we use mechanics to represent the fiction, or whether we invent fiction to justify the mechanics. I don't think anyone is going to change their position on that, it simply is an different way of thinking things.

This goes hand in hand with who is empowered to invent 'the fiction' and who isn't. What's clear with the background traits is that some people are happy for players to invent fiction ('my characters knows a guy') and some aren't.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
More seriously, I'd like to know how one can possibly knock a 10x10' cube of jelly on its side without getting stuck to or absorbed by it in the process.....
Pick up a gelatinous cube with telekinesis. Lift it in the air. Drop it. By the rules it should be prone after falling.

gban007

Adventurer
Nvm, I think I'm mixing up editions, would need to see if 4e had similar det up like 5e where ranged attackers have disadvantage against prone, but if can't be prone in 5e and only 5e has a disadvantage for attacking prone, then is moot.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
What gets stranger for me with the cube, is if knocked prone, and so flipped on one side- I can see argument that maybe the cube is disoriented, but why do people more than 5 foot away suddenly have disadvantage on their attack rolls against the same cube profile?
Because the 10' cube isn't dodging as well ... ?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Have edited sorry, but for initial comment - attackers have disadvantage, but if cube isn't dodging as well shouldn't they have advantage instead?
I misread your post and thought you said advantage.

In any case I was kind of wondering if the huge gelatinous cube ever tried dodge, or if it was just hard to strike a damaging blow in a mass of gel.

Remove ads