D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 245 54.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 206 45.7%

Faolyn

(she/her)
From my point of view, the mechanics are there to play out the fiction in a practical and hopefully verisimilitudinous way. It doesn't shape the fiction, it contours to it.
Problem is, everybody's table plays differently--and even at a table, each player may play differently. There's no possible way one mechanic can play out the fiction for everyone.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
That's the fundamental difference in opinion this disagreement is about. People simply see the relationship of the mechanics and fiction differently. Whether we use mechanics to represent the fiction, or whether we invent fiction to justify the mechanics. I don't think anyone is going to change their position on that, it simply is an different way of thinking things.
I think that the problems in so many of the background feature wordings goes a step further than just mechanics violating fiction. When they violate the fiction, they go on to violate Player/GM roles at the table too by giving players the idea that they can lock the GM out of filling the GM's role while the feature violates the fiction.

Faolyn

(she/her)
When it comes to oozes, it might be better to decide they are actually a type of slime mold and not a giant amoeba. Slime molds have tops and bottoms, at least when they're fruiting.

Faolyn

(she/her)
how is that supposed to work…

Player: I use my feature to send a message to my contact
DM: I’d rather you not use it
Or as I've said:

Player: I use my feature to send a message to my contact.

DM: You're a thousand miles away from your home city/on another continent/on a completely different plane of existence. How do you get in contact with them?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Problem is, everybody's table plays differently--and even at a table, each player may play differently. There's no possible way one mechanic can play out the fiction for everyone.
But a particular game generally has a point of view on that subject (though they may not clearly state it in the text). 4e, for example, seemed to me to fall on the "mechanics first" side more than other editions if D&D. How a game falls on the spectrum affects the playing of it.

mamba

Legend
Or as I've said:

Player: I use my feature to send a message to my contact.

DM: You're a thousand miles away from your home city/on another continent/on a completely different plane of existence. How do you get in contact with them?
I thought that was the one you wanted to avoid

Remove ads