• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yea... Every time they did it I would load up the world map & remind them of the dragon of desolation a few hexes away only to have them scoff because it was one point lower in ac or whatever . They were outraged I "didn't tell [them they] would need to fight the dragon of desolation if it woke up"
Man, I'm starting to better understand your perspective. I am glad and grateful to report that I haven't played with anyone (of maybe hundreds? many dozens of people, anyhow) in close to 25 years* who would complain about that sort of thing. I guess they're still out there!

* I had similar experiences with 3.5, which is the edition that I feel gave the most fodder to rules lawyers, the bad sort of power gamers, and depowered the DM the most. I'm starting to think, based on your evidence, that it is less of an edition problem, and more of a "who you happen to get" roll of the "dice". I assume those players are out there, but I am fortunate to play with people who "play nice with others".

It might have to do with my after-hours game being good friends who (for the most part) have similar desires for the game, and similar "mature" ways of treating other people respectfully, and the rest of the time I run games, I'm Teaching Newbies - and they follow my lead. It's possible (probable even) that anyone who wants to complain just doesn't return... hmm. I'd have to think about that.

mamba

Legend
What I'm saying is nonsensical is the fiction that the PC knows someone in every possible place or, coincidentally, in every place they visit which you extrapolate from the, to my mind, sensible fiction that the PC knows someone in the places the player says they do.
that is really the same thing however, unless you mean the player as part of their backstory says they know people in towns A and B ahead of time, rather than conveniently just ‘remembering’ that they know someone in X once the story brought them there

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah they said they would start on that process after the 2024 stuff is out and in CC.
They said they would "try" to release it by the end of last year. "Try" being the operative word for plausible deniability. It took a few days between announcing 5e to go into CC to get it there. It wouldn't have taken any longer for the older editions. That they are waiting until after the 2024 stuff is out is an intentional delay, though I have no idea why they'd want to delay it that long. Maybe they are hoping people will forget or desire will wane. 🤷‍♂️

JEB

Legend
They said they would "try" to release it by the end of last year. "Try" being the operative word for plausible deniability. It took a few days between announcing 5e to go into CC to get it there. It wouldn't have taken any longer for the older editions. That they are waiting until after the 2024 stuff is out is an intentional delay, though I have no idea why they'd want to delay it that long. Maybe they are hoping people will forget or desire will wane. 🤷‍♂️
While I do think they could have at least gotten the 3e SRDs out there by now, I doubt they would have mentioned the older editions again if they were hoping people would forget. It's obviously not a priority, though.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm not one to put up with corporate double-talk, but in this case, I feel like it's probable that the "couple of days" that it took to get 5e into CC was both rushed (in that they made a few mistakes by putting some IP in that probably should have been protected) AND was likely seen as a priority and may have taken more resources, (by which I mean people who worked on it) than they currently have available (due to being busy with things that are more important, in an anniversary year with big books coming out).

Or they could be delaying it on purpose, IDK.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm not one to put up with corporate double-talk, but in this case, I feel like it's probable that the "couple of days" that it took to get 5e into CC was both rushed (in that they made a few mistakes by putting some IP in that probably should have been protected) AND was likely seen as a priority and may have taken more resources, (by which I mean people who worked on it) than they currently have available (due to being busy with things that are more important, in an anniversary year with big books coming out).

Or they could be delaying it on purpose, IDK.
Sure, but extend that few days to a few weeks or even a few MONTHS and it would have been safely into CC well before the end of last year. It's likely that it's a low priority, but the problem with low priorities is that there are almost always higher priorities that come up, so they take forever to get done.....................if they ever do.

It makes them look really bad to make us wait from "by the end of 2023" through 2024 and into 2025. And hell, all they said was after the 2024(5) releases, so we may not even get them in 2025. They have the same out as they did with the "try" by the end of 2023. A vague release time frame that they can extend as much as they want and still "keep."

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
A player standing up for a character and using the rules as backup for doing so is not, by definition, being an asshat. On the contrary, that player is merely doing exactly as the game expects: advocating for the character.

That the rules themselves are stupid does not change this; and that the player is putting the DM in a bad spot is entirely the fault of the rules, not the player.
Sure, but that isn't what was being discussed. A player dominating the table by constantly and repeatedly making action declarations that stipulate their PC knows this or that person in every place in which the party finds themselves, as has been conjectured in this thread, is not behaving appropriately. This is an out-of-game problem.

Oofta

Legend
When it comes to putting older stuff into CC, they have very little motivation. Many of the people that are upset because it's not there will likely just be upset about something else. I can't think of any nefarious reason they'd hold back the 3.x stuff and I have no idea how much getting TSR era stuff ready would take but I don't think it would be insignificant.

So the benefit is close to zero and the potential risk is higher than zero. It's simple corporate math, they don't want to spend money in the form of people's time to review for minimal benefit. Old grognards are the only ones who likely care at this point and they aren't the target audience for significant growth or income anyway.

So measurable cost for hypothetical profit being close to zero equals delay until people need a filler project here and there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads