D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 245 54.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 206 45.7%

Yaarel

He Mage
@Yaarel has a rather cool alternate resource recovery mechanic noticing the number of challenge encounters (of any type) needed for each level, and then making all rests short rests, but a (low) number of times per level allowing a character to treat it as a long rest. It more closely matches designer expectations of number of encounters per day, and he had a good narrative work-in as well.

While we both agree that it is overcoming challenges that should lead eventually to leveling regardless if they are overcome by combat, I'm being a perfectionist in the I would rather tie the resource recovery not to any type of challenge, but specifically to combat encounters because the resource attrition during them is much higher than we regularly see in other types of solutions. I've been spoiled a bit by 13th Age, where classes are calibrated for four encounters per "full-heal-up" (read: long rest), and the resource mechanism is literally four encounters. It lacks the narrative connection of either the current long rest mechanic or Yaarel's replacement, but from a game perspective it can't be beat.

Yaarel's solution is quite elegant, but we've been going around a bit in circles on recovery with fewer combat encounters because non-combat successes also contribute to leveling, and for me if I am going to upend the whole rest cycle mechanic I really want something that focuses just on the heavy resource expenditures.

(Yaarel, please correct me if I've misrepresented anything, not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to explain to someone jumping in late what's going on as I see it.)
I appreciate the fair assessment. And the friendly praise.

Without worrying about narrative yet, I wonder if it is possible to tie the Long Rest enhancement of a Short Rest, to combat encounters only.

Without looking at the math yet, something like each rest after five combat encounters gains a token for a Long Rest that can be spent any time.

I am less familiar with 13th Age rest mechanics. But if there isnt a concern about narrative, then counting off combat encounters should be no problem. Meanwhile, it is still just as easy to advance without combat. Since the noncombat encounters are less likely need a Long Rest, the lack of it shouldnt be a problem.

Boy, do I have a video for you!!
There is a lot of good in there.
I don't think 5e is bad compared to the other game on his table.

Proficiency is a difference of 6.

The trick is just lowering DCs. To 5 and 10 and 15. That way everyone can try and succeed. And suddenly all that creativity comes back.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
However, if you are going to have to engage with newer players, you're kind of in a bind. If they're all playing D&D 5.2024-2025 Pro Edition, and you're not, if you want to play, you have to convert. If you say "I DM a D&D game" and then you reveal "but actually it's D&D 5.2014", you may have to field questions like "why don't you play the new D&D?" and hope you can explain in a logical, concise manner rather than launch into a Grognard tirade that scares them away!
But....why? Just don't convert! They use their book, you use your book. They're compatible!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Hopefully to be launched with an ORC and Pi adventure.
Mmmmm. Orc pie!
download (4).jpg

mamba

Legend
I changed my vote to no after reading Shadow of the Weird Wizard. I'll give my money for physical books to them instead.
Haven’t read it yet, with the near daily updates I was waiting for it to stabilize first. Sounds like v1.4 today might be that one, looking forward to diving into it a bit.

I only glanced at SotDL so far (got a recent bundle of it), and I like the general design / mechanics. Thematically I am more interested in the WW however

Remove ads