• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 255 53.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 224 46.8%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have an opposite view. Since 1/3 isn't planning on going forward, that means there's room for a substantial 5e-grognard community to continue -there are enough differences between the non-editions and unmet wants with the new one for it to be possible-. I mean if the desire for iterating, tinkering, and hacking doesn't destroy group unity before it has had the time to gel.
Insofar as a group still uses 2014 rules, WotC wins: they are still making products thst will work with then, and are designing the new stuff to be capable of slow adoption.

Kurotowa

Legend
Having had to go through that for freaking YEARS with 4e, I really hope that this time around, people who want to stick with 2014 can do so without endlessly telling me what's wrong with the things that I like.
I kind of doubt that will happen, given the tenor of the responses. I don't think I've seen a single person say they plan to stick with 2014 over 2024 due to its mechanical superiority. It's always "I don't want to pay for the PHB again" or "I've already abandoned 5e" or "I don't want to change the campaign we're already playing". The people who might get upset about the changing design philosophy already drew their line in the sand when Tasha's Cauldron and Monsters of the Multiverse started the process.

No one's getting fired up to defend the 2014 Monk as better somehow. They're either coasting on inertia, and will probably switch eventually, or weren't going to buy a new 5e book no matter what it was, in which case they're already ignoring it or hating on it.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Insofar as a group still uses 2014 rules, WotC wins: they are still making products thst will work with then, and are designing the new stuff to be capable of slow adoption.
If I keep running, I'll stick to core, Xanathar, the basic classes from Tasha's, A touch of class, and whatever I can find 3pp that suits me. I have some homebrew stuff of my own that I never made an effort to make publishable. (Plus I still have the Greyhawk Gazetteer, many classic modules, and classic Planescape for inspiration) I wouldn't need to buy anything new from WotC.

But, well, I don't hold a grudge towards WotC. I don't care about one-upping an unfeeling, uncaring corporation that won't have the same people in five years on an imaginary game of tug-of-war. I'm just not in love with the new not-edition (though I wouldn't say I don't feel stung by some of their declarations form last year that soured some changes more than they would have. Declarations that they haven't been seen to walk back nor seem to walk bak anytime soon)

I mean, I play MTG too, they realy have me as a captive audience anyway. That effing cardboard is truly addictive.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If 2/3 of the community is adopting 5.5e right out of the gate, as @Hussar suggests, my question is: why?

Is 5.5e really going to be that much better than 5e? (if yes, that explains the high uptake right there; look no further)

Or is it just a must-have-the-new-shiny mentality?

Or is it a desire to only play the "officially supported" version of the game? (legitimate for those who play AL, I suppose)

Or, why?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I agree. The vast majority of people still playing 5E D&D are going to convert sooner or after. And, frankly, some of us that are "no way" will probably cave when all our friends want to play it.

Here's hoping they put the whole SRD in CC so I don't ever have to give them money, though.
I converted my friends to Level Up last year. We're not going to "cave".

Kurotowa

Legend
Is 5.5e really going to be that much better than 5e? (if yes, that explains the high uptake right there; look no further)
It's not 5.5e, but yes. The problems with 5e have been apparent for a while now, and in a lot of people's opinion the UA playtests promise to fix many of them. Some people wanted it to go further, to change the rest system or the action system, and deliver something that would fit the name 5.5e. But this doesn't go that far. Instead it's better classes that fit in the existing 5e, made with more time and more budget and a decade's experience with the system.

Clint_L

Hero
It's just 5e with some improvements to class balance and more fun features, like level 1 feats and weapon mastery. Most folks who already like 5e seem to like the updated version a bit more, so will probably update eventually, if not right away. And if you're a new player, it'll just be what D&D is. But if you're not into 5e, then there's not much to tempt you.

It's not like a new edition, where you have to make a big decision whether to stick with the old or adopt the new.

DrJawaPhD

Explorer
If 2/3 of the community is adopting 5.5e right out of the gate, as @Hussar suggests, my question is: why?

From what I've seen so far in the UA playtests, 5.5e is SOOOO much better than 5e. It's basically the same for the majority of things, nerfs some of the most egregiously overpowered things, and buffs some of the worst unused things.

My enthusiasm for 5.5e is based on presuming they continue making more improvements similarly to what they have shown so far, but at this rate it's looking really promising to switch on day 1

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
From what I've seen so far in the UA playtests, 5.5e is SOOOO much better than 5e. It's basically the same for the majority of things, nerfs some of the most egregiously overpowered things, and buffs some of the worst unused things.

My enthusiasm for 5.5e is based on presuming they continue making more improvements similarly to what they have shown so far, but at this rate it's looking really promising to switch on day 1
Idk, the removal of subclass at first level is a gigantic negative that offsets a lot of the gains.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Or is it just a must-have-the-new-shiny mentality?
waves

I'm totally there for the new shiny. I'm an awful consumer in all other aspects of my life: I drive a worn out, old car. I keep the same phone until it falls apart. I'm perfectly okay drinking cheap coffee and staying in mediocre hotels when I travel for work. I am not at all interested in accumulating "stuff". So I feel no shame at all in admitting that when it comes to my beloved hobby, I am more than happy to buy all the shiny new things!

Heck, at least these shiny new things have some new content as well as being shiny. Glares at the three copies of Shadow of the Dragon Queen on the shelf that are identical apart from the covers.

Remove ads