D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 245 54.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 207 45.8%

Faolyn

(she/her)
See here’s the funny thing.

There are no other “magic” fighter powers. There aren’t. Come and Get it is the only questionable fighter power in the 4e phb.
And from what I read, it doesn't seem even remotely magical. You're not forcing the opponent to do anything or think in a particular way, You're exchanging defense for extra attacks. It's no big deal. I can't imagine why it would be considered questionable back then.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
In any case, I like Pathfinders classifications of Extraordinary, Supernatural, and Spell Like. It feels like labeling things in a world as such help to define how that world works and people on it would view things.

Is Hawkeye's accuracy "merely" extraordinary or is it supernatural? How about things that regularly happen in Wuxia? See for example the division between the different Monk powers in PF 1e.

An alternate would be to explicitly call out when things have a power source behind them ( be it magic or psionics or ki). It feels like a world where a death stare power you can attempt once a day is very different if that power is mundane/extraordinary vs one where it is magic or psychic/supernatural. Even if the power works the same.

Hussar

Legend
Some people feel that "marking" is somehow magical (actually somewhat true with the Dwarven Dragonmark in 4e Eberron).

But the main thing was, people saw that casters had powers, and then they saw fighters had powers- ergo fighter = caster. Like a lot of things in our world, emotion > logic in what people like/dislike far too often.*

*I'm not saying there's no logic involved in disliking 4e Fighter design decisions. Just that there are many who have opinions that don't seem to stem from logic. ... snip

See, now, this we can talk about. I may or may not agree with your poitns - I didn't find the fighter quite so egregious, but, then again, I played a fighter much later in 4e's run, so, I had access to so many powers - fighters got a TON of love in 4e.

But at least this is a discussion based on actual facts rather than just trying to punch vapor.

Hussar

Legend
In any case, I like Pathfinders classifications of Extraordinary, Supernatural, and Spell Like. It feels like labeling things in a world as such help to define how that world works and people on it would view things.

Is Hawkeye's accuracy "merely" extraordinary or is it supernatural? How about things that regularly happen in Wuxia? See for example the division between the different Monk powers in PF 1e.

An alternate would be to explicitly call out when things have a power source behind them ( be it magic or psionics or ki). It feels like a world where a death stare power you can attempt once a day is very different if that power is mundane/extraordinary vs one where it is magic or psychic/supernatural. Even if the power works the same.
To be fair, I do think that 3e's nomenclature here isn't a bad way to go. Keywords, particularly with mechanics tied to them, can make the game far easier to run. Granted, 3e's keywords was in reaction to AD&D's complete lack of keywords. Combined with a very confusing saving throw system, it could be very much up in the air if something was magical or not.

4e went even further with keywords. 5e has backed off a bit from 4e, but, manages to keep most of the more important ones.

But, that's not allowable either since we'd have to have a way for PC's to be affected by this and no version of D&D has ever allowed PC's to be affected by morale. And anything that the PC's do, according to simulationists anyway (or a certain subset of them in any case) insists that anything a PC can do MUST BE allowed to affect a PC.
You can actually write one that takes that into account on enough forethought. Low morale can inflict penalties on PCs; or provide bonuses for the enemy.

Eric V

Hero
Untold millions of soldiers have charged into battle knowing they would likely not survive. People do things that terrify them all the time. Intimidating someone so much they run away is a mystical supernatural ability as far as I'm concerned.

Intimidate may be useful in my games at certain times depending on the disposition of the enemy. If it's possible to intimidate an enemy, I'll likely let the players know or at least drop multiple hints. But an enemy that is knowingly risking their lives and they do it anyway is not going to be scared away by someone looking at them funny.
1) Untold millions, huh? What about all the ones that DID run away? Or at least cower a bit? It's almost like some make their saving throws, and some don't.

2) "someone looking at them funny." Sounds like garbage narration on the part of the DM or player. That or a failure of imagination. There's nothing in the ability that says it involves "looking at them funny."

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

This is basically what I'm asking for. Curious why there seems to be so much resistance...

Remove ads