D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 245 54.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 206 45.7%

Even if it can, no one in 5e went on record officially as saying you should always use the rules as written for an ability and make something up in the fiction post hoc to explain it at the table. They said that in 4e.
Right. Like I said before, that's because how 4e powers were designed. Denying the use of one of your single-use encounter powers is much bigger deal than denying the use of one of your manoeuvres or spells in 5e, as in 5e your overall "power budget" is not diminished by this and you can just use your spell slot/superiority die for something else instead.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Prone fish was my group's official last straw for 4e.
Blowing a skeleton's mind was my wife's when she tried a 4E psion.

-----
As for jumping gelatinous cubes, I can imagine them coiling up and then stretching out to jump.
Or, something like this...

Knocking an ooze prone? Well, maybe something akin to this - knocking its psuedopods out from under it until it can reform enough to lash out again?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
But how does something without hands "grapple"? After all, a green slime can't actually grab anything. For that matter, how does a snake "grapple". Snakes don't have hands. They cannot "grab" something. It makes no sense. :p
I don't have a problem with slimes or snakes grappling. They just have to attach to the target and impede its movement somehow. If that's done by just glomming onto it or constricting it, "grapple" is close enough for me.

Last edited:

Blowing a skeleton's mind was my wife's when she tried a 4E psion.

-----
As for jumping gelatinous cubes, I can imagine them coiling up and then stretching out to jump.
Or, something like this...

Knocking an ooze prone? Well, maybe something akin to this - knocking its psuedopods out from under it until it can reform enough to lash out again?

I always described it as cleaving it in two parts and it has to reform again to be able to slither and strike perfectly again.

And while we are on it: why can an arrow actually damage a gelatineous cube?
My description is that the cube has a somewhat hardened outer shell, which it can soften to incorporate food (a. k. a. adventurers).
And piercing it with enough arrows makes a cube leak slime. And in the end make the outer shell so instable it bursts by the pressure from the inside.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
1) they basically always stay within Ravenloft domains,
“Basically”, so that means not always, right? Sometimes they visit other planes.

2) they have no control over where they go when entering the mists
Assuming this is true, they could end up on the Material Plane unwittingly, right?

pretty much
“Pretty much”, so that means sometimes they do, right?

no, it simply is a consequence of you coming from wherever and having been sucked into Ravenloft. Because of that you know no one
You use the word consequence. Does that mean the party being sucked into Ravenloft is the result of a failed check or something and they are now subjected to this memory erasing effect you’ve described? Because, otherwise, I'm not sure what the logic is you're following. Presumably, the PCs know about gods and other beings existing on other planes of existence. How is this different?

it is not arbitrary that you do not know the people on a plane you have never been to, it is not even arbitrary to tell you that about a different continent...
I've never been to continental Europe, but, if you told me I don't know anybody there, you'd be wrong.

As to not knowing what they signed up for, that is not part of this discussion, the question is whether the feature would work, not why the character has it. For one I assume they know this when playing Curse of Strahd, that is on them. For another it might very well have been discussed. All we know is that they are playing CoS and one player chose the Criminal background for some reason.
By "what they're signing up for", I didn't mean choosing their background feature. I meant roleplaying in a game of 5E, which I would think is an underlying assumption of this discussion (although with some of the responses, I'm not so sure) and the rules of which state that roleplaying is, in part, the player deciding what their character thinks. I hope you tell your players beforehand that you will be doing that part of the roleplaying of their characters for them.

mamba

Legend
You use the word consequence. Does that mean the party being sucked into Ravenloft is the result of a failed check or something and they are now subjected to this memory erasing effect you’ve described? Because, otherwise, I'm not sure what the logic is you're following.
I explained it repeatedly and am not sure why you keep going back to older posts to revist it yet again…

There is no memory loss I am describing. If you come to a place you have never been to, then there is no memory of it that needs to be erased for you to not have one.

I also told you that I am not interested in pursuing this further since by now you defy reality, logic and the English language to hang on to your interpretation, and if you are willing to do all this, nothing I can say will make a difference either

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I always described it as cleaving it in two parts and it has to reform again to be able to slither and strike perfectly again.

And while we are on it: why can an arrow actually damage a gelatineous cube?
My description is that the cube has a somewhat hardened outer shell, which it can soften to incorporate food (a. k. a. adventurers).
And piercing it with enough arrows makes a cube leak slime. And in the end make the outer shell so instable it bursts by the pressure from the inside.
It shouldn't, but WotC is too obsessed with simplicity to make the distinction.

Remove ads