• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Do you plan to buy Dragonlance?

Do you plan to buy Dragonlance

• Yes

Votes: 73 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 70 39.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.4%

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Any of you going to go for their "Physical & Digital Bundle"?

Now, I'll admit: I'm a game retailer, so I might be a little biased against their attempt to cut me out of the mix. But I'm also a huge fan of the game, and a realist, so I don't get too hurt by these things.

That said, take a look at these facts:

AFAIK, the print book is $49.95 USD. (And will be "cheaper on Amazon", naturally).

They are asking "$59.94" USD for their "bundle" plus $12.99 USD in shipping (free in the US if you spend $100, so if you need two for whatever reason).

No, I don't know why it's .94 instead of .95. Weird.

I'm Canadian, so of COURSE, I note that they're charging $42.99 USD in shipping to Canada. So a Canadian is being asked $102.93 USD for the bundle, or $133.81 CAD, which is about TWICE what a physical book would cost you (without any discounts).

BUT... you get the D&D Beyond version of it, and you get it TWO WEEKS EARLY (assuming the shipping doesn't get lost or something).

Is that tempting? Maybe. Tempting enough? I doubt it. It's nearly a US-exclusive offer.
Not at the prices they appear to be charging. Though the current Amazon price seems to be on a par with their price, ditto for Fantasygrounds which would be my preferred electronic purchase.
I have had a quick look at D&DBeyond since my nephew wants to run a game using D&DBeyond and Roll20. D&beyond is a much more comfortable reading experience than FantasyGrounds and its character builder is pretty good but not as flexible as FGU's one. Since I have not really used it in anger yet I cannot speak to its level of automation.
So my current position is that the discount for the bundle is not big enough to justify (especially with the shipping costs), given that if I am running a game is does not work on my preferred VTT.

As for FLGS, the nearest one to me is a 2 hour drive. I usually do not go there.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Maybe.... I'm a fan of the original novels, but I never liked playing in the setting. I may eventually buy it just to see what they've done.

Cruentus

Adventurer
I doubt it. I'm not keen on the direction of 5e/5.5/OneDnD as is, so I'm unlikely to get the book for the campaign, as I'd likely have to change it so much, its just as easy to use the old materials.

Now, the Krynn Battle game I'll take a close look at. I've not found anything really easy to simulate armies battling. But I'm also anticipating that will be more than what I'll want to pay for it :)

Jahydin

Hero
Deviates too far from the source material for me.

Too bad, I really thought this was the one corner of 5E I could stake down a tent in and feel at home.

I wasn’t a Dragonlance reader as a kid and grabbed the first book when this first started getting teased. I think I got about a third of the way through before dropping it, I just didn’t enjoy the experience. So I voted no: no nostalgia and didn’t like the book makes it easy to skip.
Sub in "a quarter of the way" for "a third of the way" and that's my exact experience.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
Sub in "a quarter of the way" for "a third of the way" and that's my exact experience.
It didn’t help for me that I’ve rediscovered a love of reading through finally getting around to picking up Brandon Sanderson, some of the Witcher books, Discworld, etc. over the past year or so. It just felt like a different level of quality. That said, I fully understand people love the series (if they didn’t the book wouldn’t be getting made!).

jasper

Rotten DM
Just bought the E-book. With $13 shipping for the bundle it is not worth getting the hard copy, however if Lance become AL Legal I will buy a hard copy to help out the local store.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
100% going to buy, it's one of my favourite settings.

I'm keen to get the deluxe edition, but it will end up costing me 320$, I'm wondering if it is worth waiting until it gets to NZ and then buy the physical copies here. I can then check if a code is available with it to use on DnDBeyond, otherwise I'll buy it separately.

Just read the FAQ, guess I'm buying the digital version through dndbeyond and getting the physical copies separately, going to be too expensive otherwise.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
So after about a day after the announcement, it's a dead heat - 30 yes, 30 no and 21 undecided/other. Keep the opinions coming, folks!

Remove ads