D&D General Do you use Alignment in your D&D games?

Do you use Alignment in your D&D games?

• No

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • "Yes, always." - Orson Welles

Votes: 41 33.9%
  • Not for player characters, but yes for NPCs and monsters

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Not for player characters or NPC, but yes for monsters

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Not for most creatures, but yes for certain "outsiders" (ie particular fiends, celestials, etc.)

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Not for 5E, but yes for some earlier editions

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes, but only as a personality guideline, not as a thing that externally exists

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • OTHER. Your poll did not anticipate my NUANCE.

Votes: 17 14.0%

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
You're assuming choice there where it isn't present in all of my example. The character did make one choice, which precludes neutral. The choice(through behavior) is LN. When triggered(this is not a choice and therefore not an alignment switch), he goes berserk and kills everything around. He has issues, but switching alignment and being neutral are not among them.

Hey. I try to make people laugh, as you probably know from the sheer number of joke posts that I make. Any time I can do so, I count it a win. This world needs more laughter. ;)

So, would your answer change if, say, each day they flipped a coin that came up heads 51% of the time, and went LN for heads and CE for for tails?

Or is there no way person could do something like 51% LN and 49% CE while being in any semblance of vague normalcy?

If they don't have control of the CE bursts, is it unfair to ascribe the alignment to them during that time? (Since they're out of control? )

Voadam

Legend
If they don't have control of the CE bursts, is it unfair to ascribe the alignment to them during that time? (Since they're out of control? )
If alignment is descriptive then it sounds fair. I would expect a good person who turns into an evil lycanthrope to detect as evil when wolfed out.

d24454_modern

Explorer
Alignment, 90% of the time, is supposed to be descriptive rather than prescriptive. A person is LG because they make LG actions. I feel like people forget this a lot of the time and focus on the 10%.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Yeah. He's more LE, being a crime boss.

Completely agree, what I wanted to say about the fury is that it's apparently a well known factor in psychology, had some seminars about this as well. When you put someone under pressure, usually his temperament reinforces, but when the pressure mounts too much, there can be a brief case of inversion, usually extremely strong. Volubile people become even more so when pushed, but when they crack, they can go extremely quiet, and it's a bad sign. And the other way round, a calm, quiet person can become even more so under pressure, and then explode in violence when pushed too hard, e.g. Zinedine Zidane and the headbutt...

So I agree about the kingpin certainly being LE, which does not prevent him from exploding in chaotic behaviour when under extreme pressure. Still, his overall alignement does not change.

Remove ads