• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does your group allow homebrew or 3PP material?

Does your group allow homebrew or 3PP material?

• Yes, we have some homebrew or 3PP material in our games

Votes: 193 74.8%
  • No, our group sticks with officially published WoTC material only

Votes: 65 25.2%

I am always amused that so many people are down on homebrew and 3PP content as "broken" or "unbalanced" compared to official content when every other thread on the boards is about the beastmaster ranger or sharpshooter & great weapon fighting. To say nothing of the moon druid.

It seems like there's a pretty decent range of power and balance. Lots of wiggle room for homebrew.

epithet

Explorer
... Changing rules around and making rulings when the rules aren't clear is not the same as allowing 3PP/fan made material. You can create house based rulings and still stay with in the official framework of current D&D.
Changing rules around is absolutely "allowing" fan-made material. In that case, the fan is you.

I agree that there is a disconnect here, without a doubt. We're dealing with a game system that tells you to change things and take ownership of the rules. The DMG has sections on custom options, most of which are examples used to illustrate how you can create your own content and rules. When you're in an "organised play" situation, you sacrifice options and flexibility to make your characters and campaigns interchangeable across tables and between cities, but outside of that sort of formal structure, imposing strict standardization on a game system designed around creativity is inevitably going to take away more than you could gain thereby.

There certainly seems to be the disconnect between generations pointed out by Morrus, but there's also a (probably related) disconnect between the way folks started playing the game. I started playing D&D with friends, at somebody's (parents') house. That evolved into dorm room/apartment situations, which were similar but without curfews and with a lot more alcohol. Now I play mostly using a VTT, with my middle-aged friends who merrily refuse to grow up. The point is, no one has ever told me how to play D&D - I read the books with my friends, and we figured out what we wanted to do with it. I imagine that someone who wanders into a game store and joins his or her first group in some kind of organized play scenario would have a very different perspective, if for no other reason than you would have someone "in charge" who would be describing how to play the game.

I think that plays into the whole idea of "allowing" material. I mean, in my experience the DM owns the world, the NPCs, and the backstory, but the group owns the campaign and the game. The DM necessarily has to organise and coordinate, and has a lot of authority, but isn't in a tyrant. Rulings are the DM's job, rules should be agreed upon. In my current campaign, for example, one player wanted to play Kieth Baker's 5e warforged... in Greyhawk. I figured it out, with a narrative that works with the campaign. Another player, though, wanted to go nuts with multiclassing--all within the published rules--and I had to push back with a house rule limiting multiclassing. In both cases, though, we arrived at a consensus within the group.

I've never done the organised play thing (the idea of spending hours in a folding chair at a card table under a fluorescent light doesn't appeal to me) but my impression is that there is a defined hierarchy, with some kind of event organizer and with the DM in a role that includes, to some degree, enforcing the rules and limitations of the event, for example the Adventurer's League. That enforcement role is, I suspect, a significant difference between the game store event and the at-home game night, and probably leads to very different perspectives on the issue of custom content.

Corpsetaker

First Post
But you can also create house rules that vary greatly from the framework of current D&D. Changing hit points to vitality and wounds. Swapping d20s for 3d6. Armour as Damage Resistance.

New homebrew subclasses don't change the game any more than adding official ones.

Your right there. Changing the entire framework of something is going beyond simply making a ruling and that's not what we are discussing.

Corpsetaker

First Post
To maybe clarify a bit: I don't think that having to make a ruling on Stealth is all that different from making a ruling on whether or not to allow a 3PP race, and so if a DM is comfortable doing one but uncomfortable doing the other (ie, you ban all 3PP content because you don't want to make that ruling), it undermines some of my confidence in that DM, and might make me question if I'd be comfortable in that DM's campaign. Not because of any specific thing that DM permitted or banned, but because that DM seems uncomfortable with making rulings to make the game better for their players, which is something I'd want my DMs to be comfortable with.

Making a ruling on something the rules aren't entirely clear about is not the same as allowing a 3PP class or feat because you are allowing new mechanics into the system with 3PP stuff.

epithet

Explorer
Maybe because as a newish DM I'm not arrogant enough to assume I know better than a team of professional game designers? There are plenty of options that have been thoroughly tested in the official sources.
Which team of professional game designers are you talking about? Sasquatch, Kobold, Frog God, ENWorld... these are teams of professional game designers, who professionally publish game products. Many of them have worked on official WotC D&D products in addition to creating their "3rd party" published works. Are you arrogant enough to dismiss their work as unworthy simply because it isn't published by WotC?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Making a ruling on something the rules aren't entirely clear about is not the same as allowing a 3PP class or feat because you are allowing new mechanics into the system with 3PP stuff.

You're allowing new mechanics into the system with every ruling you make. If you decide that a Stealth check lasts for an entire round's movement, that's a decision on how the mechanics work that is going to have big ramifications on how the game plays. Similarly, if you decide that Perception works to find secret doors and makes Investigation mostly redundant, you've just made a mechanical decision that can impact how useful any character that uses INT could feel. Ruling that a PC has certain racial traits is often of less significant impact than these decisions. Both carry more impact than, say, the decision of what critters to include in an encounter (3 PP or otherwise), which adds new mechanics to your system, but generally for a short period of time with limited impact.

dave2008

Legend

They
They are not the same, but rulings can have a much larger effect than allowing 3pp content in some cases. Either way you can simply back track as needed, so it really shouldn't be much of an issue = from my perspective at least.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I am always amused that so many people are down on homebrew and 3PP content as "broken" or "unbalanced" compared to official content when every other thread on the boards is about the beastmaster ranger or sharpshooter & great weapon fighting. To say nothing of the moon druid.

It seems like there's a pretty decent range of power and balance. Lots of wiggle room for homebrew.

You're misstating the positions of those people. We are saying that there is a much higher concentration of broken and unbalanced things in third party products. We are not saying that WotC has none.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You're allowing new mechanics into the system with every ruling you make. If you decide that a Stealth check lasts for an entire round's movement, that's a decision on how the mechanics work that is going to have big ramifications on how the game plays. Similarly, if you decide that Perception works to find secret doors and makes Investigation mostly redundant, you've just made a mechanical decision that can impact how useful any character that uses INT could feel. Ruling that a PC has certain racial traits is often of less significant impact than these decisions. Both carry more impact than, say, the decision of what critters to include in an encounter (3 PP or otherwise), which adds new mechanics to your system, but generally for a short period of time with limited impact.

Yeah. I've noticed that a lot of people here don't understand that whenever you make a ruling, you are changing the rule for your game. They house rule a lot and don't even realize it.

You're misstating the positions of those people. We are saying that there is a much higher concentration of broken and unbalanced things in third party products. We are not saying that WotC has none.
Of the 3PP you have bought or downloaded for 5e, what percentage of the material would you say is more broken and unbalanced than WotC's content?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads