D&D General Dumb Reasons To Get Booted From a Group.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
After agreeing to a campaign concept the players suddenly decided they didn't want me as their DM because they couldn't do what they wanted. When asked what they wanted to do they were very vague. Next session they didn't show up.

Four months later I learned they had played with another DM and realized they had a good thing going with me. They wanted to come back to my table. I continued the campaign as if nothing happened. Over next months I discovered who was behind that failed coup and booted him out of the group. We played for several years after that without any problems.

aco175

Legend
Well, he turned out to be a table captain who wouldn't let other people call their own actions or make their own decisions. If someone moved to a square, he would move them to a different one and explained why. If someone cast a spell, he argued and told them to cast a different one. If they targeted a creature, he argued and told them to target a different one. When I asked the cleric to call their action, he responded instead. And so forth. Everyone was getting really frustrated, and started giving me that "where did you find this guy" look.
We had a guy at a convention try to do this when I was a kid. My father, brother and myself were kind of new and it may have been out first convention, but I remember the DM handling it right away when I told him that is not what my guy would do. My father made sure we did not sit with that guy for the game. I do not think the player was really knowing what he was doing and may thought he was 'helping'. He was telling the DM what everyone would do once combat started or when walking up to a door instead of asking the players if their PC would check or flank or something.

Oofta

Legend
The only time I may have been booted from a campaign (maybe, not sure if they had more than one session) was because the dog didn't like me. The dog apparently randomly liked some people and not others and the DM's girlfriend (and dog owner) was convinced that it meant that the dog was "a good judge of character" after greeting them for 2 seconds.

I mean seriously. I know I'm an ***hole, but how could the dog know that quick? :(

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
The only time I may have been booted from a campaign (maybe, not sure if they had more than one session) was because the dog didn't like me. The dog apparently randomly liked some people and not others and the DM's girlfriend (and dog owner) was convinced that it meant that the dog was "a good judge of character" after greeting them for 2 seconds.

I mean seriously. I know I'm an ***hole, but how could the dog know that quick? :(

It might involve sloppy steaks.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm comfortable being a jerk to sleazy DM's who groom their female players to play out weird sexual vampire fantasies with them.

I wasn't going to go along with it, and (sadly) we were relying on a friend to pick us up so we were stuck there.

The only person I legit felt bad for was the girl that invited us, but after further discussions with her, it turned out my initial read of the group (and the DM) was absolutely spot on.

Turns out we did her a solid.
If someone’s being a creep, you don’t act like a tool in-character, you call them out for being a creep in real life. You don’t solve out-of-game problems with in-game actions, that’s RPG etiquette 101.

Dausuul

Legend
Wasn't it the Leprechaun horror movie? I thought it was a fey thing to count spilled things. But I maybe wrong and I am not near my computer to check it up. And I think I saw this in a Supernatural episode too and it too involved fees.
From what I've seen, the distinction between undead and fey in folklore is extremely fuzzy.

In fact, the distinctions between anything in folklore are pretty fuzzy. The critters don't get sorted into neat scientific taxonomies*. Everything is sui generis.

*Come to think of it, scientific taxonomies are rarely neat either. The universe is a big, messy, complicated place.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Decades ago now, I joined a game in process and soon discovered that the good elven wizard I had rolled up was in a band of neutral and evil characters of the type that were like "Half-ogres have enmity against dwarves so I start smashing the skulls of the dwarven captives." This was way before the days of session 0 or even warning people what they were getting into and was very much a "that's what my character would do" kind of situation. Well, my character would intervene, so that is what I had her do.

The session ended and a couple of weeks after I found out they had scheduled and played the next session without me b/c the half-ogre player didn't like me trying to stop him. But that was fine, because I didn't want to play in that kind of game anyway.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
We were talking about game mechanics and our characters on discord after the session 0, with a tangent about how feudalism worked and how that differed from the domain management rules in the Rules Cyclopedia. While I was AFK, I was banned from the discord and removed from the roll20 group. DM claimed that I was a rules lawyer and backseat DM, and other players had quit the group because of me.

Only thing I can really think of is that one of the other players was trying to convince me I didn't need to save up gold for a pike, because I could fight from the second rank with a spear, and his character did it all the time in another group. I disagreed and said spears don't work like that in BECMI, and even if the DM wanted to allow it, I wasn't interested in exploiting that advantage for my character.

Remove ads