D&D General Dumb Reasons To Get Booted From a Group.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
Another experience, not really booted, though...

At an LGS, there was some hot shot DM that finally agreed to run 4th ed D&D Encounters organized play at the store, and the staff was really excited to have him involved. The way D&D Encounters generally went at the time was you'd sit at a big table with 15 or so people and everyone would create a quick level 1 character, not necessarily knowing which DM and which other players you'd end up in a party with. A good experience in 4e, especially at the organized play level, was heavily dependent on good class balance, so I asked the group what classes/roles others were gonna play, so I could pick something under-represented to maximize the chance of a balanced group after people were sorted.

The new hot shot DM heard me say that, pointed at me, and announced to the management of the store "He's NOT welcome at my table."

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
We knew the session was gonna be bad at the start when it was a Goth dude Ref, and his harem of mostly female Goth players.

It just gave off the vibe that they liked to live action half the crap they were roleplaying, and a lot of it was pretty overtly sexual.

To break up the cringe and creepy sexual vibes, every now and then I'd yell out 'Whistler', play the Blade music on my phone (to assist with the deep immersion we were going for, naturally) and Leeroy Jenkins buckets of dice slaughtering everything in sight, while my mate would count off victims with a 'One Werewolf, TWO Werewolves..' in the Counts voice from Sesame Street.

We came. We saw. We conquered.

Pretty sure our existence was retconned out after that one session. Be hilarious if we were canon in that story though.
that group is my worst case sanario overt sexuality and people who are just younger less afraid versions of my mother

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
We're only had one player booted from a game I've been in for more than a decade. Good player, strong rules knowledge, memorable characters. Asked if his adult son could join, we were good with it. We played every week, and he'd been with the group for nigh a year when he started running a game every other week on the same night. With good reason - his wife was getting back into playing but that was her only free night. But we couldn't get everyone to a different night, and so every other week were were up two players then down two players (since his son was also in the game he ran). We endured it for a few months then the DM asked him to leave the campaign but would still be up for doing other things as they came up. The player deleted the group we used to talk (he had made it), dropped from discussion, unfriended people, and said not to contact him.

So a good player was asked to leave because he scheduled a competing game and that was disruptive, but he decided to drop the group altogether.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In some cultures, leaving a trail of rice (as I recall) was a ward against vampire attack. A vampire hunting you would be mystically compelled to count all the grains before attacking. Theoretically, this should buy you enough time to make it to safety.

This was even immortalized in a modern, B-list vampire movie (the name of which I cannot recall). The heroes had captured a powerful vampire, and had him bound in a large lab of sorts to study him. They pointed out that, in the event he broke free, the big red panic button on the wall would open dozens of huge burlap bags of rice for him to count.

Inevitably, the vampire DOES get loose, and one of the characters slams the button. The torrent of falling rice is captured in high-focus, well lit slo-mo. As the heroes scramble towards the door in a near panic, the vampire looks around, then sneers at them, saying (paraphrasing) :

”12, 067, 391, 782, 623 grains of rice.”

…and the slaughter commences.
For some reason I associate the counting with Chinese vampire myths.

But any way, the counting is actually a recurring plot point in a few of the later Laundry Files books by Charles Stross.

Got kicked for not playing League of Legends well enough (it apparently frustrated the DM).
Got kicked for calling out creepy sexual harassment.
Got kicked for picking up objects with my feet (I earned that one).
Got kicked because I kicked the DM out of my own game. :D

The thing I- as an adult fan of horror stories- always liked about The Count is that the counting thing actually goes back to some of the lore.

In some cultures, leaving a trail of rice (as I recall) was a ward against vampire attack. A vampire hunting you would be mystically compelled to count all the grains before attacking. Theoretically, this should buy you enough time to make it to safety.

This was even immortalized in a modern, B-list vampire movie (the name of which I cannot recall). The heroes had captured a powerful vampire, and had him bound in a large lab of sorts to study him. They pointed out that, in the event he broke free, the big red panic button on the wall would open dozens of huge burlap bags of rice for him to count.

Inevitably, the vampire DOES get loose, and one of the characters slams the button. The torrent of falling rice is captured in high-focus, well lit slo-mo. As the heroes scramble towards the door in a near panic, the vampire looks around, then sneers at them, saying (paraphrasing) :

”12, 067, 391, 782, 623 grains of rice.”

…and the slaughter commences.
I think this must have been "Dracula 2: Ascension". I think you might be misrecalling - it sounds like they used mustard seeds in the movie, which was an aspect of vampire mythology I hadn't heard before.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
From what I've seen, the distinction between undead and fey in folklore is extremely fuzzy.

In fact, the distinctions between anything in folklore are pretty fuzzy. The critters don't get sorted into neat scientific taxonomies*. Everything is sui generis.

*Come to think of it, scientific taxonomies are rarely neat either. The universe is a big, messy, complicated place.
That's largely because "Faerie" used to just mean magic (this was before the term "magic" was even in regular use), so "Fey Creatures" literally used to mean just about any magical creature. (You can compare the usage of Fairy to that of Magic throughout history using Google's tool for this. Magic was used much less than Fairy up until around the 1800's.) Due to "Fairy" basically just being a catch-all term for "Magical" when fairytales were evolving, this caused a lot of mixing and mashing of terminology, causing almost everything to be called a "Fey/Fairy" at one time or other, like Angels, Demons, Ghosts, Elementals and other world/nature spirits like Nymphs, Banshee, Succubi, Werewolves, and Vampires (or at least vampiric creatures).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I was in a group where during the first session our character's were separated in "the sewers" aka "a dungeon." The DM displayed the whole map for us and pointed out where our three separate groups were.

One guy didn't like being in his section and said something like "I go left, then right, then left, then right again, over the bridge, up the stairs, left, down the stairs...." That took him into a section where two other characters were on the communal map. The DM said "You don't have any idea where anyone else is."

The player said "I know. I go that way AT RANDOM and see them."

His friend told him we had cancelled the game and secretly kept playing with us.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases