5E EB's KotB: (Group 2) Soul of the Lions

OOC: For a round trip (2,500 feet), the overland rates are:
Slow pace = 200'/min. (allows stealth): 12.5 min.
Normal pace = 300'/min.: 8.3 min.
Fast pace = 400'/min. (-5 passive perception): 6.25 min.

But since we'll be blazing the trail for the workers, it would take longer the first time.
 
Last edited:

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: All that math checks out, if the group decides to do some trailblazing. Still up in the air on that.
Take a vote: Patrol or set a watch around the workers?
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
OOC: Split the party! LOL Tassarion would volunteer to stealth scout ahead while the rest guard. Anyone else good with stealth could also. And just realized, while he has a decent stealth (+3), I didn't give him proficiency! LOL
 

Radaceus

Villager
OOC: guard the workers. but surely one among us stealthy scoutly survivally nature types could widen our perimeter
 

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: Advancing...


For the past two days the group of guardians have moved out on small patrols only a quarter to a third of a mile from the workers setup, and back. Sahrax's alarm covering the opposite compass point to warn them if anything troublesome comes in from the rear.

It is evening on the second day and the group is in the middle of dinner, when far off to the east they hear a warhorn's call. The distinct high-pitched twill of an elven warhorn.

And the sounder is in distress.
 

Radaceus

Villager
"Elf wizard warning spell same like real elf warning call!"
Üngar smiled approvingly at Sahrax, "makes sense."
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Tassarion Liadon
Hullack Woods
Day 2/Evening
Round 0

Tassarion looked up quickly, tilting his head to listen to the elven warhorn. He knew the sound. Quickly he put down his dinner and snatched up his bow and quiver.

“Trouble,” was all he said, heading into the woods to check out the sound.

Stealth: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9

[sblock=Actions]
Saves:
Move:
Action: (Extra Attack)
Bonus Action:
Free Object Interaction:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
AC: 15
HP: 37/37
HD: 5/5 1d10+1
Arrows: 60
Arrows used: 0
Action Surge (1/R)
Second Wind (1/R)
Arcane Shot (2/2/R): Grasping Arrow or Seeking Arrow
[/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Not my alarm," Sahrax says with some surprise, getting up from his seat. "We need to help someone out."

Already into his spellcasting, the elf wizard finishes his spell within seconds as a faint shimmer surrounds him then vanishes. Then he motions for the others to follow him and moves in the direction where Tassarion just disappeared into the forest.

OOC: Casting Mage Armor on myself, improving my AC to 15 for the next 8 hours.
 

Radaceus

Villager
'Not a good, den'

Donning his shield and readies his spear, the dwarf of many journeys made haste to catch up with the wood elf, his short legs working his hardy heart just a bit harder.
 
"Someone should get there as soon as possible," muttered Erevan as he checked his gear. He starting running toward the sound, transforming mid-step into a dire wolf.
[sblock="Stats"]
As Dire Wolf:
Init: +7
AC 14
HP 37/37
Speed 50 ft.
Str 17, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 13
Perception +6, Stealth +6, Athletics +3
Advantage on Perception checks that rely on hearing or smell
Advantage on Attack rolls if an ally is within 5 feet of the target and not incapacitated
Bite: Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2d6+3 piercing damage, plus knock prone (DC 13 Str save)

As Self:
Init: +8
AC 14
HP 34/34
HD 5/5d8
Speed 35
Wildshape: 1/2
Spells: 1st: 4/4, 2nd: 3/3, 3rd: 2/2
Alert: Can't be surprised if conscious. Don't grant advantage to hidden foes.
[/sblock]
 
Lorelei doesn't immediately recognises the nature of the sound signal, but seeing her companions' reaction, she instinctively casts Resistance on herself and quickly follows the others into the woods.
 

EarlyBird

Villager
The group runs as fast as it can, trying to get to the aid of whomever needs it in these untamed wilds. The horn slows before stopping altogether, and as one they double their speed to reach the area it last sounded in.

The path twist and turns and when finally they are close enough they come face to face with...

Swamp_Monster.jpg

... the swamp giant. It stands over eight feet tall and looks to be made of moss and lichen from the very heart of the swamp not a mile away, to the south. It turns red glowing eyes towards the sound of your approach and stands to its full height. Laying on the ground bleeding from a massive wound to his belly lies a wood elf, dressed in the garb of a messenger.

OOC: Group INIT: please add your modifier to the follow roll and if you beat the swamp beast please post up your actions.
Group: [roll0]
Swamp Giant: [roll1]


[sblock=Combat]
Erevan, as dire wolf
AC:14, HP:37/37, HD 5/5, WS: 1/2, Spells; 4/3/2/0
Tassarion
AC:15, HP:37/37, HD 5/5, SW: 1/1, Action: 1/1, AShot: 2/2
Sahrax
AC:15, HP:19/19, HD 5/5, Portent: 17, 18; AR:1/1, Spells; 4/3/2/0, mage armor
Ungar
AC:18, HP:51/51, HD 5/5, CD: 1/1, Spells; 4/3/2/0
Lorelei
AC:15, HP:35/35, HD 5/5, FP: 1/1, Spells; 2/2 (3rd lvl), resistance

Swamp Giant
AC:15, HP:84/84
Elven Warrior
AC:15, HP: 00/11, dead[/sblock]
[sblock=Map]
swamp-giant_01.jpg[/sblock]
 

EarlyBird

Villager
OOC: Hmmm.. don't think anyone has a +10 modifier so looks like the monster is up first.


The creature keeps to the trees using them for cover as it watches the group. It shows quite a bit of intelligence for something that grew out of the swamp.

OOC: Moved and took the dodge action.


[sblock=Map]
swamp-giant_01.5.jpg[/sblock]

OOC: Group is up.
 
Lorelei's inititative is then 9+3=12.

(Note: the following may suffer disadvantage or even automatic failure in case someone with a higher initiative decides to attack the swamp giant)

Lorelei tries to stay visible and appear non-threatening to the swamp giant, but keeps her distance from it, ideally 70-80ft if possible: she's trying for the moment to stay far enough as to have a chance to act again before the swamp giant reaches her, in case it decides to attack her, but she obviously doesn't know its speed... she'll just try use her best judgement.

Does she know whether the swamp giant is a fey creature?* She attempts at communicating to it in silvan language: "Friend, we are people of the wild too, we mean you know harm.", and uses her action to ready herself to use her Fey Presence ability, should the swamp giant decides to charge and gets close enough (which would mean 10ft from her).

*If needed, here's a Knowledge(Nature) check:

Lorelei 2018-07-10 07:11:14 1d20+3 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19
Intelligence(Nature)
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Realizing that Lorelei is trying to communicate with the creature rather than fight it, Sahrax decides not to cast a damaging spell just yet. Instead, the wizard mutters some arcane phrases and with his hands, makes a motion as if tearing some invisible thing into four pieces.

Where before Sahrax stood, there are now four identical elven wizards, fanning out and each staring intensely at the swamp giant, spells at the ready.

OOC: Casting Mirror Image (2nd): "Three illusory duplicates of yourself appear in your space. Until the spell ends, the duplicates move with you and mimic your actions, shifting position so it’s impossible to track which image is real. You can use your action to dismiss the illusory duplicates. Each time a creature targets you with an attack during the spell’s duration, roll a d20 to determine whether the attack instead targets one of your duplicates. If you have three duplicates, you must roll a 6 or higher to change the attack’s target to a duplicate. With two duplicates, you must roll an 8 or higher. With one duplicate, you must roll an 11 or higher. A duplicate’s AC equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier. If an attack hits a duplicate, the duplicate is destroyed. A duplicate can be destroyed only by an attack that hits it. It ignores all other damage and effects. The spell ends when all three duplicates are destroyed. A creature is unaffected by this spell if it can’t see, if it relies on senses other than sight, such as blindsight, or if it can perceive illusions as false, as with truesight."

[sblock=Quick stats]
AC:15, HP:19/19, HD 5/5, Portent: 17, 18; AR:1/1, mage armor, mirror image
Cantrips known (4+racial): Chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Message (racial), Minor Illusion, Toll The Dead
Spells prepared (9): Detect Magic (concentration), Ice Knife, Mage Armor, Magic Missile; Invisibility (concentration), Mind Spike, Mirror Image; Clearvoyance (concentration), Melf's Minute Meteors (concentration)
Spell slots used:
- Level 1st: 1/4
- Level 2nd: 1/3
- Level 3rd: 0/2[/sblock]
 

Radaceus

Villager
Ungar struggles to hold himself back at the sight of the dead elf, he doesn't understand what the warlock is saying but he gets the idea.

OOC: [roll0] to determine if Ungar thinks this creature is a 'plant' or 'beast', if so he moves to within range and uses his channel divinity Charm Animals and Plants

if not he moves up and casts Spiritual Weapon

either way he moves up behind the wolf
 
OOC: Ungar doesn't have the movement range to reach the spot the wolf moved to, as the wolf has Speed 50' and had to Dash to get there. Ungar can, however, move to where the wolf moved from.
 

Advertisement

Top