D&D 5E EB's KotB: (Group 2) Soul of the Lions

Radaceus

Adventurer
'Not a good, den'

Donning his shield and readies his spear, the dwarf of many journeys made haste to catch up with the wood elf, his short legs working his hardy heart just a bit harder.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

"Someone should get there as soon as possible," muttered Erevan as he checked his gear. He starting running toward the sound, transforming mid-step into a dire wolf.
[sblock="Stats"]
As Dire Wolf:
Init: +7
AC 14
HP 37/37
Speed 50 ft.
Str 17, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 13
Perception +6, Stealth +6, Athletics +3
Advantage on Perception checks that rely on hearing or smell
Advantage on Attack rolls if an ally is within 5 feet of the target and not incapacitated
Bite: Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2d6+3 piercing damage, plus knock prone (DC 13 Str save)

As Self:
Init: +8
AC 14
HP 34/34
HD 5/5d8
Speed 35
Wildshape: 1/2
Spells: 1st: 4/4, 2nd: 3/3, 3rd: 2/2
Alert: Can't be surprised if conscious. Don't grant advantage to hidden foes.
[/sblock]
 

Li Shenron

Legend
Lorelei doesn't immediately recognises the nature of the sound signal, but seeing her companions' reaction, she instinctively casts Resistance on herself and quickly follows the others into the woods.
 

EarlyBird

Explorer
The group runs as fast as it can, trying to get to the aid of whomever needs it in these untamed wilds. The horn slows before stopping altogether, and as one they double their speed to reach the area it last sounded in.

The path twist and turns and when finally they are close enough they come face to face with...

Swamp_Monster.jpg

... the swamp giant. It stands over eight feet tall and looks to be made of moss and lichen from the very heart of the swamp not a mile away, to the south. It turns red glowing eyes towards the sound of your approach and stands to its full height. Laying on the ground bleeding from a massive wound to his belly lies a wood elf, dressed in the garb of a messenger.

OOC: Group INIT: please add your modifier to the follow roll and if you beat the swamp beast please post up your actions.
Group: [roll0]
Swamp Giant: [roll1]


[sblock=Combat]
Erevan, as dire wolf
AC:14, HP:37/37, HD 5/5, WS: 1/2, Spells; 4/3/2/0
Tassarion
AC:15, HP:37/37, HD 5/5, SW: 1/1, Action: 1/1, AShot: 2/2
Sahrax
AC:15, HP:19/19, HD 5/5, Portent: 17, 18; AR:1/1, Spells; 4/3/2/0, mage armor
Ungar
AC:18, HP:51/51, HD 5/5, CD: 1/1, Spells; 4/3/2/0
Lorelei
AC:15, HP:35/35, HD 5/5, FP: 1/1, Spells; 2/2 (3rd lvl), resistance

Swamp Giant
AC:15, HP:84/84
Elven Warrior
AC:15, HP: 00/11, dead[/sblock]
[sblock=Map]
swamp-giant_01.jpg[/sblock]
 

EarlyBird

Explorer
OOC: Hmmm.. don't think anyone has a +10 modifier so looks like the monster is up first.


The creature keeps to the trees using them for cover as it watches the group. It shows quite a bit of intelligence for something that grew out of the swamp.

OOC: Moved and took the dodge action.


[sblock=Map]
swamp-giant_01.5.jpg[/sblock]

OOC: Group is up.
 


Li Shenron

Legend
Lorelei's inititative is then 9+3=12.

(Note: the following may suffer disadvantage or even automatic failure in case someone with a higher initiative decides to attack the swamp giant)

Lorelei tries to stay visible and appear non-threatening to the swamp giant, but keeps her distance from it, ideally 70-80ft if possible: she's trying for the moment to stay far enough as to have a chance to act again before the swamp giant reaches her, in case it decides to attack her, but she obviously doesn't know its speed... she'll just try use her best judgement.

Does she know whether the swamp giant is a fey creature?* She attempts at communicating to it in silvan language: "Friend, we are people of the wild too, we mean you know harm.", and uses her action to ready herself to use her Fey Presence ability, should the swamp giant decides to charge and gets close enough (which would mean 10ft from her).

*If needed, here's a Knowledge(Nature) check:

Lorelei 2018-07-10 07:11:14 1d20+3 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19
Intelligence(Nature)
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Realizing that Lorelei is trying to communicate with the creature rather than fight it, Sahrax decides not to cast a damaging spell just yet. Instead, the wizard mutters some arcane phrases and with his hands, makes a motion as if tearing some invisible thing into four pieces.

Where before Sahrax stood, there are now four identical elven wizards, fanning out and each staring intensely at the swamp giant, spells at the ready.

OOC: Casting Mirror Image (2nd): "Three illusory duplicates of yourself appear in your space. Until the spell ends, the duplicates move with you and mimic your actions, shifting position so it’s impossible to track which image is real. You can use your action to dismiss the illusory duplicates. Each time a creature targets you with an attack during the spell’s duration, roll a d20 to determine whether the attack instead targets one of your duplicates. If you have three duplicates, you must roll a 6 or higher to change the attack’s target to a duplicate. With two duplicates, you must roll an 8 or higher. With one duplicate, you must roll an 11 or higher. A duplicate’s AC equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier. If an attack hits a duplicate, the duplicate is destroyed. A duplicate can be destroyed only by an attack that hits it. It ignores all other damage and effects. The spell ends when all three duplicates are destroyed. A creature is unaffected by this spell if it can’t see, if it relies on senses other than sight, such as blindsight, or if it can perceive illusions as false, as with truesight."

[sblock=Quick stats]
AC:15, HP:19/19, HD 5/5, Portent: 17, 18; AR:1/1, mage armor, mirror image
Cantrips known (4+racial): Chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Message (racial), Minor Illusion, Toll The Dead
Spells prepared (9): Detect Magic (concentration), Ice Knife, Mage Armor, Magic Missile; Invisibility (concentration), Mind Spike, Mirror Image; Clearvoyance (concentration), Melf's Minute Meteors (concentration)
Spell slots used:
- Level 1st: 1/4
- Level 2nd: 1/3
- Level 3rd: 0/2[/sblock]
 

Radaceus

Adventurer
Ungar struggles to hold himself back at the sight of the dead elf, he doesn't understand what the warlock is saying but he gets the idea.

OOC: [roll0] to determine if Ungar thinks this creature is a 'plant' or 'beast', if so he moves to within range and uses his channel divinity Charm Animals and Plants

if not he moves up and casts Spiritual Weapon

either way he moves up behind the wolf
 

OOC: Ungar doesn't have the movement range to reach the spot the wolf moved to, as the wolf has Speed 50' and had to Dash to get there. Ungar can, however, move to where the wolf moved from.
 

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Top