D&D 5E EB's KotB: (Group 2) Soul of the Lions

Radaceus

Adventurer
Ungar growls, recoiling from the acid burn. he flicks his hand at his spectral spear and sends it to strike the large insectoid, failing to penetrate its chitin. his eyes narrow, the Giant and the druid are both lost form his view. He brings his shield to bear before him, and calls out 'Sylvani, hâlde ceteri!' whilst he glances around to note the whereabouts of his party members, sunbeams shine through the forest cover enveloping the warlock, wizard, and archer in a emboldening glow.

[sblock=Actions]
note: War Caster feat allowing cast in combat with weapon and shield in hand

Saves:
Move: 0' {edit: had movement 25' left over from my quote/paste for my turn ;) }
Action: Cast Bless targeting Lorelei, Tassarion, and Sahrax, (concentration,up to 1 minute)
Bonus Action: Move the Spiritual spear 20' and attackt he Ankheg, 1d20+6=13, missing
Free Object Interaction:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Movement: 25
AC: 18 (chain 16, Shield+2)
Main hand: Hand Axe ( Spear thrown)
Off Hand: Shield
HP: 38/51
HD: 5/5 1d8+3
Channel Divinity (1/LR)
Spellcasting: Spell Attack Modifier= +6 Spell Save DC= 14
Spell Slots (1st level(3/4), 2nd level (2/3), 3rd level (1/2)
Character Sheet
[/sblock]

OOC: Bless cast on Tassarion (@KaylessNestor), Sahrax (@JustinCase), and Lorelei (@Li Shenron) you guys all may add 1d4 to attack rolls and saving throws while the spell is active

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tassarion Liadon
Hullack Woods
Day 2/Evening
Round 0

Speed: 35’
Dash: 0/4, then DC 10 Con check every round or 1 level of exhaustion

Tassarion cursed as the insectoid creature burst through the underbrush and spat acid at Ungar. The elven archer danced around the underbrush to get a good shot and keep on the trail of the giant. He put four arrows into the creature.

[sblock=Actions]
Saves:
Move: O6
Action: (Extra Attack): Longbow, bless: 1D20+1D4+8 = [5]+[2]+8 = 15
1D8+3 = [4]+3 = 7

Attack 2: Longbow, bless: 1D20+1D4+8 = [5]+[1]+8 = 14
1D8+3 = [1]+3 = 4

Action Surge: Attack 1: Longbow, bless: 1D20+1D4+8 = [5]+[3]+8 = 16
1D8+3 = [2]+3 = 5

Attack 2: Longbow, bless: 1D20+1D4+8 = [8]+[2]+8 = 18
1D8+3 = [7]+3 = 10

Bonus Action:
Free:
Reaction:
Conditions: Bless (Ungar, 1 min)
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
AC: 15
HP: 37/37
HD: 5/5 1d10+1
Arrows: 60
Arrows used: 4
Action Surge (1/R)*
Second Wind (1/R)
Arcane Shot (2/2/R): Grasping Arrow or Seeking Arrow
[/sblock]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Seeing Tassarion badly injuring the insectoid creature that had suddenly burst out of the green, Sahrax instinctively knows the creature must be dispatched quickly if they are to catch up with the swamp giant. As the wizard - and his two copies! - run through the woods in pursuit, he starts casting another spell.

As soon as the eldritch phrases come from the three mouths and pinches of sulphur are produced from three pouches, several small red meteors start encircling the three wizards. With a flick of the wrist, a meteor is sent flying from each figure toward the ankheg, where it bursts into a larger explosion than the small meteorite would indicate.

"Kill it quickly," Sahrax instructs, still moving and preparing to assault the creature again if needed before continuing the chase.

OOC: Keep moving (Movement), cast Melf's Minute Meteors (Action), then hurl one meteor at ankheg. Uses concentration. Six meteors total (now down to 5), can use Bonus Action to hurl one at target on subsequent turns. Ankheg and anyone within 5 feet of it must make a Dex save; take [roll0] fire damage upon failure, or half upon success.

[sblock=Spell description]3rd-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V S M (Bead of niter, sulfur, and pine tar)
Duration: Conc. Up to 10 minutes

Six tiny meteors orbit around you for the spell's duration. When you cast the spell, and as a bonus action on subsequent turns, you can hurl up to two of the meteors to points you choose within 120 feet. It explodes if it reaches the point or hits a solid surface. Each creature within 5 feet of the explosion must make a Dexterity save. The explosion deals 2d6 fire damage on a failure, or half damage on a success.[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]AC:15, HP:19/19, HD 5/5, Portent: 17, 18; AR:1/1, mage armor, mirror image
Cantrips known (4+racial): Chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Message (racial), Minor Illusion, Toll The Dead
Spells prepared (9): Detect Magic (concentration), Ice Knife, Mage Armor, Magic Missile; Invisibility (concentration), Mind Spike, Mirror Image; Clearvoyance (concentration), Melf's Minute Meteors (concentration)
Spell slots used:
- Level 1st: 2/4
- Level 2nd: 1/3
- Level 3rd: 1/2[/sblock]

EarlyBird

Explorer
[sblock=Chase]
OOC: Last round, the giant moved to a point 80 feet ahead of Erevan, and Erevan immediately followed, with movement of 100 feet (minus the width of difficult terrain). This round, the giant (with his movement hindered by the plant growth) has moved and attempted to Hide. Can Erevan catch up to him with movement of 50 feet and Attack?

Chases don't work like a "regular" combat. Although they have similarities. It uses Dash actions to "keep up" with your target. If your target uses a Dash and you don't you aren't further away it just effects the lose the pursers roll (gives them advantage). Characters may cast spells as to help or hinder the creature/end the chase. Say like using entangle or web and they fail their save (chase over). As can the chased creature casting things like fog or grease to help them evade a group.

Erevan hasn't caught up to the swamp giant yet he is still in pursuit. Think of it as the thing runs into the woods and goes around a tree to the left. Erevan follows immediately but lost sight of his quarry and when he sees the tree he moves off to the right. He moves ahead and stops, listens (or sniffs the air) and then turns left, and is now a little behind but still in pursuit.

Going to play this like any challenge - you need three success before three failures to catch your target. And then regular combat begins or you lost your quarry. Some people may not be able to keep up i.e. not be able to Dash as many consecutive rounds. And their are complications getting in everyones way as well.

Oh, and you needed to roll a d20 obstruction, to effect the swamp giant. [/sblock]

EarlyBird

Explorer
The creature is assaulted by arrows, fire, and eldritch force. To much and to quickly for its senses and it squeals in pain and regret as it backs back down into the hole it just burst from.

The wood is quiet for only a moment, before those left behind hear the crash and stomping of two large creatures running through the woods.

OOC: Just need Erevan's complication roll, I figure he has Dashed again? And the rest of you may take up the chase once more. If you Dash ahead please roll a d20 to complicate the next person in line.

OOC: I still don't understand how I could lose sight of him when I'm right on his heels the whole way (he had a 10' head start), nor how I could fail to catch up when I'm 25% faster than he is. (With the Plant Growth spell, I move at 5x his speed)
But what I see you saying now is that this round, the Giant moved, then tried to hide, but failed (no dash). [EDIT: Reading the chase rules, I see that he gets a free Hide check, so he could dash.] I actually haven't moved yet, only inquired as to whether I could reach the Giant with a single move, and attack.

Since he apparently is not with movement range, he will dash again. (2/5) Passive Perception: 21
[roll0]

Last edited:

[sblock=Chase]

Chases don't work like a "regular" combat. Although they have similarities. It uses Dash actions to "keep up" with your target. If your target uses a Dash and you don't you aren't further away it just effects the lose the pursers roll (gives them advantage). Characters may cast spells as to help or hinder the creature/end the chase. Say like using entangle or web and they fail their save (chase over). As can the chased creature casting things like fog or grease to help them evade a group.

Erevan hasn't caught up to the swamp giant yet he is still in pursuit. Think of it as the thing runs into the woods and goes around a tree to the left. Erevan follows immediately but lost sight of his quarry and when he sees the tree he moves off to the right. He moves ahead and stops, listens (or sniffs the air) and then turns left, and is now a little behind but still in pursuit.

Going to play this like any challenge - you need three success before three failures to catch your target. And then regular combat begins or you lost your quarry. Some people may not be able to keep up i.e. not be able to Dash as many consecutive rounds. And their are complications getting in everyones way as well.

Oh, and you needed to roll a d20 obstruction, to effect the swamp giant. [/sblock]
DMG said:
Beginning a Chase
When a chase begins, determine the starting distance between the quarry and the pursuers. Track the distance between them, and designate the pursuer closest to the quarry as the lead.
Ending a Chase
A chase ends when one side or the other stops, when the quarry escapes, or when the pursuers are close enough to their quarry to catch it.
If neither side gives up the chase, the quarry makes a Dexterity (Stealth) check at the end of each round, after every participant in the chase has taken its turn. The result is compared to the passive Wisdom (Perception) scores of the pursuers. If the quarry consists of multiple creatures, they all make the check.
If the quarry is never out of the lead pursuer's sight, the check fails automatically. Otherwise, if the result of the quarry's check is greater than the highest passive score, that quarry escapes. If not, the chase continues for another round.
OOC: As things stand, the Giant cannot beat Erevan's passive perception (+1 bonus vs. PP 21), and the Giant can't outrun Erevan (speed 35-40 [reduced further by Plant Growth] vs. speed 50), the only way the Giant can escape is if a complication prevents Erevan from following.

Last edited:

EarlyBird

Explorer
OOC: True, but it seems chases area bit to involved for pbp. So we will just go back to a regular combat.

Erevan approaches the swamp giant and it turns quickly to intercept the dire wolf. Hungry and its first meal long out of reach it strikes out at the wolf. Its huge claws are like long splinters and when it opens its odd maw, it has twin rows of sharp wooden teeth. Erevan is hurt and his blood flows freely down his grey coat.

OOC: Swamp Giant has cover(+2 AC) from anyone more than 40' away from it.

[sblock=Combat]
Erevan, as dire wolf
AC:14, HP:08/37, HD 5/5, WS: 1/2, Spells; 4/2/2/0
Tassarion
AC:15, HP:37/37, HD 5/5, SW: 1/1, Action: 1/1, AShot: 2/2
Sahrax
AC:15, HP:19/19, HD 5/5, Portent: 17, 18; AR:1/1, Spells; 3/2/1/0, mage armor, mirror image(3), 8/10 rounds minute meteors(c), 5/6 meteors, 58/60 rounds
Ungar
AC:18, HP:51/51, HD 5/5, CD: 1/1, Spells; 4/2/2/0, spiritual weapon 8/10 rounds
Lorelei
AC:15, HP:35/35, HD 5/5, FP: 1/1, Spells; 2/2 (3rd lvl), resistance 7/10 rounds

Swamp Giant
AC:15, HP:84/84
atks vs Erevan
[roll0], dmg[roll1]
[roll2], dmg[roll3]
[roll4], dmg[roll5]
Elven Warrior
AC:15, HP: 00/11, dead[/sblock]

[sblock=Recap]
RD0:
starting distance:
Everan to Giant 20'
Ungar to Giant 45'
Lorelei to Giant 50'
Tassarion to Giant 55'
Sahrax to Giant 70'
spear to Giant 25'

RD1:
giant moves 60'
Everan moves 80' next to each other
everyone else +30'

RD2:
giant would have to disengage moves 15' do to plant growth
Everan moves 30' (do to obstruction) and gets an attack - missed
everyone else fights Ankheg

RD3:
Giant and Everan in melee
Ungar 90' away
Spear 70' away
Lorelei 95' away
Tassarion 100' away
Sahrax 110' away
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Seeing that the ankheg is backing off, Lorelei immediately resumes the pursuit of the swamp giant, as soon as she is within range she will unleash two beams of Eldritch Blast again at the monster.

Lorelei 2018-08-06 06:13:54 1d20+7+1d4;1d10+1d6 1D20+7+1D4 = [8]+7+[3] = 18
1D10+1D6 = [1]+[6] = 7
1D20+7+1D4 = [9]+7+[3] = 19
1D10+1D6 = [9]+[5] = 14
Eldritch blast (including Bless bonus), two beams, bonus Hex damage

OOC: I noticed you are still including Resistance on Lorelei but the cantrip automatically ended when she cast Hex because both require concentration. She hasn't had to roll any saving throw yet however so she never benefitted from Resistance.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases