ENWorld's Guide to Life

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If you keep a small fire extinguisher for kitchen fires (and good for you!) , do NOT keep it right by/over the stove. In event of a sudden fire the flames may keep you from reaching it.
Also, you should have a wet chemical fire extinguisher (suitable for type A and F fires) easy accessible in the kitchen.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Every person alive is here because of thousands of ancestors who were smart enough, strong enough, and social enough to survive far worse conditions than what most of us are faced with today. Regardless of your race, ethnicity, gender; or your physical or mental challenges; you have it within you to survive and thrive. While it is helpful to know and try to shore up your weaknesses, it is more important to discover and capitalize on your strengths.

The best way to do that is to task risks, try new things, and to push yourself outside your comfort zone. Don't merely accept other people's expectations of you, or your own assumed limitations--test them. When you do, you'll often prove others and yourself wrong, surprising them and yourself as you exceed those expectations.

And when you don't, because sometimes you won't, try something else. A dead end is just an opportunity to go down another path.

TheSword

Legend
Save something, every month. £100 if you can. If that means going without a luxury then do that. If I had 20 years ago, I’d have enough for a house deposit and I wouldn't be paying rent towards someone else’s mortgage now.

Once you save your first £1000 you take better care of it. It starts to grow and it gives you a massive amount of emotional comfort and security - particularly if you’ve been maxing out your overdraft every month.

If you can’t save £100, save £50 or even £25. If you can’t do these, try and change your lifestyle. I’d still have £6k more than I do now if I’d have saved £25 a month.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Do you like a firm pillow? I do! And I recently figured out the best one I could get was not a pillow at all. Instead, for the past year, I have used a heavy winter blanket* rolled-up and covered in a standard pillowcase.

It‘s soft and malleable enough to shape it how you want, but won’t deflate. Ever. And if a front passes through dropping the temperature, your blanket is close at hand.

* I’ve also done this with thinner blankets- think...like the weight of a cotton serape- but the results are not as impressive.

Dioltach

Legend
As you grow older, the things that bring you joy change.
Me in my teens: "I'm going to turn on the radio and crank it up all the way!"
Me in middle age: "I'm going to turn on the radiator and crank it up all the way!"

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
In time, you will learn that some of your most stinging disappointments were actually for the best!

Missing out on one thing often puts you in position for something better later on. Keep the faith!

Remove ads