• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Podcast - good, bad or indifferent?

My Lego

Explorer
We are thinking about using minions as are in heroic tier, give minions in paragon tier a save not to die and give minions in epic +5 to that save.

In our experience minions work fine in heroic but later on they kind of fall apart. This scheme seems to work well in paragon but it is not play tested in epic.

Gunpowder

First Post
I like a two hits and they're out ruling, similar to the zombie twitch death thoes. One instance of damage makes the minions bloodied, another instance of damage kills a bloodied minion. Crits automatically kill a minion.
Good things I like is that: 1. tieflings get to use bloodhunt against minions (something I felt lacking when I had a tiefling) 2. Instances of auto-damage are still useful but you will need to expend some energy killing them because they can react against it. 3. Abilites "with half damage on a miss" can affect minions. A criticism my friend playing a rogue with blinding barrage bemoans, alot.

Cons: 1. I do not know how temporary hit points should play into this. A bloodied minion who gains temp HP is no longer bloodied? So a health minion would need 3 hits to kill?
2. Also a hit of 3 splash damage from cleave is worth exactly as much as a 12 damage from sly flourish. So adding an addendum to crits automatically kill a minion, that an attack that deals more than X also auto-kill. But how do I solve for X?

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
2. Also a hit of 3 splash damage from cleave is worth exactly as much as a 12 damage from sly flourish. So adding an addendum to crits automatically kill a minion, that an attack that deals more than X also auto-kill. But how do I solve for X?

Maybe 60 - 70% of your group's average At Will damage?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads