• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic problem OOC

Jemal

Adventurer
K, Looked through the characters in the Rogue's Gallery, so far haven't noticed anything I don't like. One thing, however - Tailspinner, could you show how many ranks you put into each of your skills?

Voidrazor

First Post
Jemal said:
Two Questions:
Voidrazor - Human Priest (Melee Buffer) : Good or Evil?
Nephtys - Insane Human Priest: Which would you fit better with do you think? I'm thinking whichever one VoidRazor ISN'T in, just to keep both sides with a cleric.
I was planning on chaotic neutral. If you need me to play either good or evil I'd prefer evil. If neutral is OK, I don't mind being with the good party. But I'd really rather not play a good aligned cleric.

Unrelated question: Is it OK to have my cohort create magic items, presumably knocking him/her to 16th from the xp costs?

Darimaus

First Post
Voidrazor said:
Unrelated question: Is it OK to have my cohort create magic items, presumably knocking him/her to 16th from the xp costs?

I know its DM's decision, but realisticly the same rules for PCs should apply here, I.E. you cannot lower your starting level by spending XP for item creation. Since we can't alter our starting level when we use item creation (exactly why the DM gave us some XP to throw around for it) our cohorts shouldn't be able to either.

Voidrazor

First Post
Darimaus said:
I know its DM's decision, but realisticly the same rules for PCs should apply here, I.E. you cannot lower your starting level by spending XP for item creation. Since we can't alter our starting level when we use item creation (exactly why the DM gave us some XP to throw around for it) our cohorts shouldn't be able to either.
The first post mentions that you can lower your starting level by spending more than 15K xp.

Darimaus

First Post
Oops, I missed that. (was looking in optional rules, sorry). Though my only other objection is that cohorts are temperary. Your cohort spends XP to make you a magic item. He dies or you release him, and then you get a new one. This one then makes you a new magic item. This means you get a free epic item every 1d4 months. (I'm not saying you would, just pointing out extremes)

Even if you don't, your new cohort does not take XP loss because of what you old cohort did, so it turns into no penalty at all.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I think the idea is that right now, during creation, we're allowed to make an item or items that would set us back a level...but that -during play- the standard rules apply. That is, this is now or never. Blow the exp now...because you won't be allowed to once we start.

Makes more sense that way, ar?

Wrahn, I've got a question for ya...and believe me, I dunno how I became the designated nitpicker on design... :) The Monk's belt description never says it grants the Wis bonus to AC, and I know I've never played that it does. The last line is crucial, I think.

"This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus."

The monk's AC bonus is that +1 untyped bonus to AC that monks get at level 5, and goes up one every 5 levels. At least, that seems reasonable to me, given the cheap cost of the belt. 13,000gp for a slotted item that gives infinitely stackable +1 to AC, raises unarmed damage, works in conjunction with monk class abilities, but doesn't -require- you to be a monk... That's pretty darn decent.

But if you factor in the whole, "Oh, and you get Wis bonus to AC too," then I think 11,000 is pretty grossly underpriced. Granted, the item description doesn't specifically rule it out...though I think that last line comes pretty close to doing that. A case could be made though that "the monk's AC bonus" includes Wisdom bonus. Hence the confusion.

Still...if so, it's gotta be the cheapest AC increasing item in the entire D&D panoply of stuff. :)

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Darimaus

First Post
Shayuri said:
I think the idea is that right now, during creation, we're allowed to make an item or items that would set us back a level...but that -during play- the standard rules apply. That is, this is now or never. Blow the exp now...because you won't be allowed to once we start.

Makes more sense that way, ar?

I understand that concept when it pertains to players, however, applying bonuses to yourself via a cohort, and then having the cohort die or get switched out means that you've lost nothing but 2 feats you can still make use out of and gained epic items for it. Your cohort doesn't even have to be a crafter after that, so he no longer needs to spend feats for it, and is higher level, and the only penalty is apllied to a now random dead guy. that concept sort of bothers me a little. Specially since the DM didn't give a one level cap on lowering your XP.

Ex. If you drop a 28th level cohort to 25th level, you gain 78,000 free crafting XP. This then allows you to pay 975,000 gp and get an item with the equivical value of 1,950,000. Then follow up with a swap in Cohorts, or if you have no intended abuse in mind, your cohort's accidental death. 1d4 months later you have a new 28th level cohort, AND a nearly 2,000,000 gp item. No gameplay abuses required. Its sort of like an investment.

Shayuri

First Post
Ahh, I see where you're coming from. Point's well taken. I'd never want to weaken my cohort by draining him of a full level, honestly, but yeah, I see where you're going with it.

Though happily, no one's suggested doing it yet. :)

Still, probably best to get an actual ruling on it, just so everyone's on the same page.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads