• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic problem OOC

Wrahn

First Post
Darimaus said:
I just have to point out that bracers of armor are still usable while employing a monk's belt, which sort of negates the "can't wear armor" point. Specially considering you can get those bracers up to a +8, and can have as much dex as you want. Most high AC builds I've seen only needed slight dips in monk to perform. Thats why.

My point isn't that you can't get some type of armor bonus, but that bonus from armor is probably going to be higher than the armor bonus from item + Wisdom mod until you get enough money to afford bonuses to Wisdom and non armor + to Armor.

Say a 10th level rogue. Maybe on the outside is going to have a 12 wisdom and perhaps a 22 Dex. He is better off with a +2 Mithral Chain shirt (9k gold) (AC 22) than with the monk's belt (13k gold) (AC 17). Even a Cleric with a wisdom of 22 and a Dex of 12 is better off with normal full plate (AC 19) versus the Monk's Belt (AC 17)

At higher levels, getting significant bonuses to all stats is when the monk's belt begins to leave armor behind.

I am just as satisfied going to armor, as it permits some additional defenses that the monk's belt does not and if you do it right, a similar AC.

Oh and Hey Pyrex good to see you.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Actually both Tiko and the Trumpet Archon are pretty good warrior types, apart from the other abilities they have. AC and hit bonuses in the 50's (with some buffing), hit points past the 500 mark.

pallandrome

First Post
Shayuri said:
Betray him? No...

Just plain anihilate him in blasts of energy?

Probably. :)

I mean, it's nothing personal, but I can't see paladins easily cooperating with an evil outsider and still retaining their stature), and a trumpet archon would be even less likely...by sheer nature. And you gotta figure that the silvers and riders have been spending the past couple of centuries hunting down evil outsiders for fun and profit too...

I can see where you're coming from saying that he prefers working with good...but I'm not sure the gooders in the group would be so forgiving of him. :)

Hey! I'm not Hitler Evil! I don't subjugate nations or murder cultures. I'm more like Starbucks evil, selling an average quality product at inflated prices, with little to no regard for the personal needs of the consumer.

Jemal

Adventurer
pallandrome said:
Hey! I'm not Hitler Evil! I don't subjugate nations or murder cultures. I'm more like Starbucks evil, selling an average quality product at inflated prices, with little to no regard for the personal needs of the consumer.
Actually, that's Lawful Greedy, not Evil. a general disregard for people coupled with greed isn't evil, it's neutral (Though leaning more towards evil than good). EVIL characters actively pursue evil ends. That's why Paladins tend to Smite ON Sight... Red = Dead.

Shayuri said:
Actually both Tiko and the Trumpet Archon are pretty good warrior types, apart from the other abilities they have. AC and hit bonuses in the 50's (with some buffing), hit points past the 500 mark.
YAY! more than 350 HP!! Until now the highest HP I'ld seen in the Rogue's Gallery of finished characters was the BARD! Also the best saves...

And as for the Wis to AC argument.. IT all depends on your character build.. If you build a character who's supposed to exist in armour, don't use it.. Anybody with low dex or wisdom shouldn't be using it. On average though, the best AC you can get at most levels(if that's Specifically what you're going for) is using Monk, and at higher level, you've gotta be a caster to break AC 100 before level 20.

In General, Here's the formula:
IF Wisdom Bonus + Dex bonus > Armour Bonus-3 + Max Dex Bonus, THEN go with Monk.
ELSE wear armour.

Why Armour Bonus - 3 you ask? Because you can get a max Enhancement on armour of +5 (Non Epic for simplicity sake, at Epic Monk is usually the obvious choice) and you can by Bracers of up to +8.. 5 Enhancement-8 Enhancement = Neg 3, however there's always the BASE AC bonus of the armour being used, so subtract the 3 from that.

Jemal

Adventurer
Pyrex said:
How do you feel about the BoED? I've got a L30 Vow of Poverty Paladin that I never got to use in a different epic who's ready to go... :D

What all would you be using besides Vow? I assume you'ld be using some of those bonus Sacred feats your nice little vow gave you..

pallandrome

First Post
In that case, I suppose I'm lawful greedy. I'll make sure my robe of the archmage is the right color. I'll have to figure out something else for those three blackguard levels though. Would such an alteration be ok, considering that I do come from an "always lawful evil" race?

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
Jemal said:
As for Party Construction, I've Decided Good party/Evil party..

Shayuri - Silver Dragon w/ Rider
Ivellious - Paladin Riding a Silver Dragon (No known relation to previous character)
Darimaus - Human Paladin/Bard/SeekerOfSong
Wrahn - ??

Tailspinner - Half-Dragon (Blue)/Half-Ogre Fighter
Avalon - Old Kobold Wizard
Pallandrom - Evil Blackguard/Archmage (Interplanar Arms Dealer/Info Broker)

Two Questions:
Voidrazor - Human Priest (Melee Buffer) : Good or Evil?
Nephtys - Insane Human Priest: Which would you fit better with do you think? I'm thinking whichever one VoidRazor ISN'T in, just to keep both sides with a cleric.

Well, my character is LN, but he's channeling negative energy and will surround himself with undead (btw, how many wraiths can fit into a Portable Hole? they are incorporeal, so they shoudln't really have any trouble squeezing together in quite large numbers, should they?), so he'd probably fit better with the evil group. Also, he is insane, and though he's not really out to hurt innocents he will if he thinks he has to. And he will probably think he has to. I really can't see paladins and celestials working with him, though he wouldn't necessarily mind working with them.

Btw, do cohorts get PC gps per level or npc gp/l? In that case how many GPs do a 17th lvl NPC (or PC) get?
May I make a follower with the Ghost template?

Pyrex

First Post
Jemal said:
What all would you be using besides Vow? I assume you'ld be using some of those bonus Sacred feats your nice little vow gave you..

The vow, about four other [exalted] feats, and a continued Epic progression for the Ascetic template.

Edit: Included details

Expanded Ascetic Template
[sblock]
(easy part)
Armor: Continues to increase at +1/3lvls
Exalted Strike: Continues to increase at +1/5lvls
Deflection: Continues to increase at +1/6lvls
Natural Armor: Continues to increase at +1/8lvls

(hard part)
Ability boost: 23(+10/+8/+6/+4/+2), 27(+12/+10/+8/+6/+4/+2), 31 & each 4 thereafter (+2 to all)
Bonus Exalted (or Epic Paladin) feat @ 24 & every 4lvls.
DR: At 24th and every 10lvls thereafter, DR improves by 5. At level 29, DR improves to 'Epic & Evil'.
ER: At 25th and every 6lvls thereafter, energy resistance improves by 5.

There was also a house-rule in effect reducing the pre-epic Exalted bonus feats from 1/2 levels to 1/4 levels.
[/sblock]

Character Sheet (skills need reworked for attribute changes)
[sblock]

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Lochlan
[B]Class:[/B] Paladin
[B]Race:[/B] Human Ascetic
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] LG
[B]Deity:[/B] 

[B]Str:[/B] 22  +6 ( 4p, +10 Enh)                 [B]Level:[/B]    30    [B]XP:[/B] 
[B]Dex:[/B] 17  +3 ( 6p,  +2 Enh, +1 Lvl)         [B]BAB:[/B]     +25    [B]HP:[/B] 377 (30d10+150)
[B]Con:[/B] 20  +5 ( 4p,  +6 Enh, +2 Lvl)         [B]Grapple:[/B] +31     
[B]Int:[/B] 16  +3 ( 4p,  +4 Enh)                 [B]Speed:[/B]    30'       
[B]Wis:[/B] 22  +6 ( 6p,  +8 Enh)                 [B]Init:[/B]     +7       
[B]Cha:[/B] 34 +12 (16p, +12 Enh, +4 Lvl)         [B]ACP:[/B]      -0         

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +13   +0    +3    +0    +2    +5    33
[B]Touch:[/B] 18              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 30

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                     17    +5   +15    +37
[B]Ref:[/B]                      11    +3   +15    +29
[B]Will:[/B]                     11    +6   +15    +32

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage      Critical[/B]
Quarterstaff            +38      d6+16        20x2
Quarterstaff(TWF)       +36/+36  d6+13/d6+10  20x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven

[B]Class Features:[/B] Aura of Courage, Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Divine Grace, 
                Divine Health, Lay on Hands 420hp, Mount, Remove Disease 9/wk, 
                Smite Evil 7/day, Turn Undead.

[b]Ascetic Features:[/b] Ability Boost (12/10/8/6/4/2), Armor +13, Deflection +5, 
                  Exalted Strike +7, Natural Armor +3, Resistance +3

Bonus Feat x7, DR 15/Epic & Evil, Endure Elements, ER 20, 
                  Freedom of Movement, Greater Sustenance, Mind Shielding, 
                  Regeneration, True Seeing.   

[B]Feats (PHB):[/B]
  Blind Fight
  Cleave
  Improved Initiative
  Power Attack
  Two Weapon Fighting
  (CW) Divine Vigor
  (ED) Sacred Vow
  (ED) Vow of Poverty

[b]Ascetic Bonus Feats (ED):[/b]
  Celestial Mount      (Mount gains Celestial template)
  Gift of Grace        (Share 'Divine Grace' class feature)
  Hands of a Healer    (+2 to Cha for Lay on Hands)
  Holy Subdual         (Deal Smite damage as Nonlethal damage)
  Subduing Strike      (Deal nonlethal damage with melee attacks at no penalty)
  (ELH) Great Smiting  (Increase Smite damage to Lvl*2)
  (ELH) Great Smiting  (Increase Smite damage to Lvl*3)

[b]Epic Feats (ELH):[/b]
  Dire Charge 
  Penetrate DR(Adamantine)
  Penetrate DR(Cold Iron)
  Penetrate DR(Silver)
  Planar Turning
  Positive Energy Aura
  Spectral Strike
[/sblock]

Last edited:

pallandrome

First Post
Jemal said:
<snip>Paladins tend to Smite ON Sight... Red = Dead.

So when they see that I'm obviously not evil (yay ring of mind shielding!) then they wouldn't be trying to smite me, right?

Which brings up the question, what happens if a Pally attacks a non-evil outsider that they had just assumed was evil?

Nephtys

First Post
Nevermind, found it myself:

Jemal said:
Okay, lets see.. Cohorts - How's about we assume they're Marked as well, just for simplicity's sake?
As for Cohort Creation, we'll use 30 point buy. You can supplement their equipment with your own money. HP = Full at first, half+1 after that. particular's are up to you.
Keep in mind, however, 2 things - Your cohort is max TWO levels below you, not 1. Also, HD does not equal level equivalent for Cohorts. For example I haven't seen Salamander listed anywhere as a special cohort, and the noble variety doesn't have a level adjustment.. However, I'ld be ok with a 22 HD Noble Salamander (+6 LA) as a Cohort.

Any god you want to worship is available, and there are multiple gods with overlapping fields. The base PHB dieties are all there, and there's allways the 'worshipping an ideal' concept, so long as the ideal fits both/all chosen domains.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads