TSR Example from the worst TSR adventure module(s) ever published

Storm Raven

First Post
Nomad4life said:
Whoa! You can buy this adventure as a PDF from Rpgnow.com for $4.95! I may just skip out on beer tonight and pick it up for the sheerheckofit.

Of course, once I do, I'll probably wish I had the beer just to read through it.

I don't think beer is strong enough. You may need to break out the heavy artillery.

freebfrost

Explorer
lukelightning said:
I have a solution: Let's write our own encounters!

14. The Winter Wolf. As the party enters the clearing, they see a pile of apples. Read the description below:
This one finally got me. I was snickering all along but this put it over the top!

Hilarious!

:lol:

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Quibble all you want about content (and I know many of you will) from 1978 to 1982 TSR's editing was uniformally tight, with consistent, though rarely outstanding, production values. Their stuff was utilitarian, but not flashy.

From 1983 to the point I stopped paying attention to TSR anymore (about 1993) to say the editing was spotty would be an understatement. There were the "pet" projects that obviously got full attention from someone - The 1983 WoG box, I6 Ravenloft, the DL modules, the Gazzetteer series - but the majority of products were throwaways. You saw the same thing with the production values, outstanding in a few isolated cases (the DL series, for example), downright awful most of the time. In my view, basically anything produced after they started having that orange stripe at the top was suspect.

I believe every single one of the modules mentioned in this thread were produced in the latter perioed. Certainly N2 The Forest Oracle was.

R.A.

Insight

Adventurer
The "new" encounter for this adventure is HILARIOUS. I wonder if we could write an entire module that was as convoluted as this one. I bet we could.

Quasqueton

First Post
OK, I know I said I was not posting anymore from the module, but I have to post this little tidbit.

The PCs have to cross a raging river by balancing across a rope bridge.

Those falling into Wild River do not drown. The river tears away a random article. Roll 1d4 to determine what is lost.

1. A sword or main weapon of a character is lost.
2. A dagger or secondary weapon is lost.
3. A magical item is lost, or 200 gp if the party member has none.
4. Half the person's treasure, to include jewelry and gems but not magic, is swept away.

The water sweeps the party member toward some rocks near the eastern shore of the river. He must once again roll his dexterity or less or receive 1-2 hp of damage from being battered on the rocks.

If any party member falls into the water, he will avoid the damage caused by the rocks if another party member throws him a rope.

I like how the river is essentially a pick-pocket. And read that number 1 carefully.

Quasqueton

dougmander

Explorer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
"1. A sword or main weapon of a character is lost."

"A character" ... You mean, not even necessarily the character that fell in the water?

Yes, someone miles away, in another module, suddenly loses their heavy mace.

sniffles

First Post
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am soooo glad the cubicles around me are unoccupied right now.
Ow, ow, holding in laughter hurts! :lol:

Remove ads