D&D (2024) Expert Classes - Feats Discussion

So we see 4th level feats - and some 20th level feats. The question is whether there are 8th or 12th level feats or just 1st, 4th, and 20th level feats. Some takeaways
  • Fighting Styles are now 1st level feats that require PCs to be in the Warrior Group or to be rangers (or probably paladins)
  • The other 1st level feat included is "Lightly Armoured" for training with light and medium armour and shields - a pretty obvious gap from the previous packet
  • All fourth level feats give you a single point of ASI (yes, even War Caster( - other than the repeatable feat that gives you two (and replaces the old ASI boost)
  • Some of the old power feats have been changed - with the "power attacks" vanishing
    • Great Weapon Master now gives you prof bonus to damage 1/round as well as possible extra attacks
    • Polearm Master requires heavy reach weapons (i.e. polearms) - no spear or staff and shield
    • Crossbow Expert now requires you to get the extra attack from the light weapon property - so no single hand crossbow rapid fire. This wouldn't be broken anyway because:
    • Sharpshooter now cancels disadvantage but no extra damage
  • Everyone's now a ritualist - the key benefit of the Ritual Caster feat is once per day cast a ritual in regular casting time without spending a slot
  • The common pattern for utility feats is one ASI, one either training or Expertise in a single skill, and the ability to use a utility action as a bonus action
I'm cautiously optimistic here. The feats do look both good and characterful enough to use without costing you too much stat progression. And the OP feats have generally been nerfed. Sword and Board I think works quite a lot better when you aren't getting potential +10 damage on the greatweapons.

Stalker0

Legend
The Winner

Durable: That feat is GOOD now, like I can see a lot of warriors taking it. Being able to fast heal in combat can be life saving.

Charger: Rock solid now

Keen Mind: From Garbage to gold

Mage Slayer: I've heard some people think this new one is worse, which means they haven't looked close enough. You get an AUTOMATIC pass on 1 wisdom/int/or charisma save per day, and thats after you fail (so its never wasted). That is pure unadulterated gold, like sign me up any day of the week. That ability alone might be worth a feat, that's how good it is.

Skulker - now that is some skulking.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Mage Slayer: I've heard some people think this new one is worse, which means they haven't looked close enough. You get an AUTOMATIC pass on 1 wisdom/int/or charisma save per day, and thats after you fail (so its never wasted). That is pure unadulterated gold, like sign me up any day of the week. That ability alone might be worth a feat, that's how good it is.

I don't disagree, but my favorite part of the old feat was the opportunity attack for spell casting. Especially with a rogue or paladin. Seems like the rogue doesn't get sneak attack on OAs anymore, though, so....

squibbles

Adventurer
[...] Crossbow Expert now requires you to get the extra attack from the light weapon property - so no single hand crossbow rapid fire. [...]
It also only removes disadvantage for crossbows when attacking at close range.

Awesome.

--edit--
Ah, hadn't read to sharpshooter yet.

But the new sharpshooter also specifies "ranged attack rolls with weapons" (with the disadvantage cancelling feature for spell attacks being moved to spell sniper)

So... still awesome.

Last edited:

Remove ads