D&D 5E [+] Explain RPG theory without using jargon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Oh yeah, I barely got into it, but Torchbearer has many interlocking parts that go into decisions like this. It's like a Swiss watch!
Ok, that’s reassuring to hear. I’m not necessarily opposed to making calls about pacing, I just got the impression that there was little to guide the GM in making those calls, and the answers I got only reinforced that impression.

Charlaquin

I'm not asking you to abandon the premise as a principle of your play! What I'm saying is that your synthesis rests on a premise which is not essential to RPGing, even to RPGing with a group of players; and I'm inviting you to abandon the premise, at least for a moment, in thought. If one does so, then other possibilities reveal themselves.
I wasn’t intending to make a statement about anything essential to RPGing, I was describing my approach to resolving that tension. Hence the use of first-person pronouns.

Charlaquin

You did. But your take on Dungeon World seems to involve stripping out all its narrativist components and inserting new ones. And you've posted that you really like the environment-exploration aspect of 5e D&D, to the extent that you would like to move beyond 5e D&D to the B/X style dungeon crawl but using your DW-inspired moves in place of the B/X resolution framework.
It’s not really my approach to Dungeon World, it’s my approach to a homebrew OSR style system, which happens to borrow some things from Dungeon World. As I said, if I wanted to play Dungeon World, I wouldn’t play this, I would play Dungeon World. And some day I might just do so; it seems fun.
To me that seems a pretty coherent set of preferences. Just not narrativist ones . . .
Sure. And from what I’ve come to understand of narrativist games, I would agree with that. Though I think I might also enjoy them, for a lark.
I get an impression of you enjoying vivid, engaging characters. Absolutely.

But I haven't seen you talk about PC's dramatic needs, and your response to GMing techniques that are fairly central to narrativist GMing (including the legacy of those in Torchbearer) has inclined towards the negative rather than the positive.

I've not RPGed with you, nor seen you RPG, nor even read any actual play accounts that I can recall, so I could be way off-base. But to me your posts seem to convey a fairly consistent picture of Charlaquin as a RPGer.
That’s probably a fair characterization.
I think the dirty-word simulationism was probably purist-for-system/process-simulation. Which 4e is the antithesis of!
Probably.
But on the exploration of character thing, I am taking at relative face value your earlier post that part of how the character develops is in order to get out of the pickle and progress on the mission, and your more recent post about

an alternative synthesis (which is increasingly what I find myself drawn towards): The players should come in with as little already decided about their characters as possible, so that through the act of engaging with the challenges within the scenario they are playing through as a group, they discover more about their characters as individuals.​

That is foregrounding the challenge. The character is not being discovered (in a literal sense) but "forged" (in a metaphorical sense) in the crucible of the challenge.
But the character forging is the point of the challenge, not just the product of it. And I’ve been getting it rather hammered-in throughout this thread that GNS is concerned with players’ ultimate priorities. Is that wrong?
If you dial down the performance metric - so eg players are freer (I mean: freer in respect of table expectations and social pressures) to "go with the character flow" even at the cost of losing the challenge - then the gamism dials down and the simulationism dials up.
If a player decides that what they think their character would do matters more to them than winning the challenge, that’s a decision they should be empowered to make, in my view. The challenge is an essential factor in the character-forging, but not the only factor, and it should be up to no one but the player themselves how they ought to weigh those factors.

pemerton

Legend
But the character forging is the point of the challenge, not just the product of it. And I’ve been getting it rather hammered-in throughout this thread that GNS is concerned with players’ ultimate priorities. Is that wrong?

If a player decides that what they think their character would do matters more to them than winning the challenge, that’s a decision they should be empowered to make, in my view. The challenge is an essential factor in the character-forging, but not the only factor, and it should be up to no one but the player themselves how they ought to weigh those factors.
To me it seems that you're sitting in the character-exploration-as-characters-face-challenges simulationism and performance-metric-over-low-competition-high-cooperation gamism border zone. That seems a pretty good place to sit! Dial up the gamism sometimes, increase the adrenaline; dial it down othertimes, increase the intimacy of the engagement with the characters.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
You've posted nothing that gives any sense of play driven by dramatic needs of the PCs, and the GM framing scenes and narrating consequences in response to those needs. But I'm only going on the fragments of information I can get from your posts.

If "What do you want to do, players?" isn't soliciting the "dramatic needs of PCs" and "I create things on the fly to give the players a good time exploring what they asked for" isnt "framing scenes and narrating consequences in response to these needs" then I think I'm going to have to tap out of this conversation.

Aldarc

Legend
This is not a very convincing argument in favor of Torchbearer being for me.
Have people mentioned yet that Torchbearer heavily inspired the computer game Darkest Dungeon?

I mean, my concern was “it’s not clear by what principles I’m meant to determine when to give success with a condition and when to give a twist” and your answer was “you just have give up on being neutral.” Ok, well, I guess that’s fine, but if I’m not sure I’m ready to make that leap, this advice just tells me I should stay way from the game. At the very least, some advocacy for why I should want to embrace partiality would be preferable. Better yet would be to suggest some principles a GM who is hesitant to abandon neutrality might be able to lean on to help wean themselves off of it.
The basic idea in a lot of these games is that the GM is not neutral. They are not paid to be there and arbitrate a game as a neutral referee. They are effectively a player too who is there to have fun with the group and find out what happens in the game. It's expected that the GM is much of a fan of the player characters as the players themselves are. The GM also wants to see the PCs succeed over challenges, but this requires filling their lives with a waterhose of adversity.

But if you need something to work with, let consider what are the principles for when a check are applied in D&D 5e?
Only call for a roll if there is a meaningful consequence for failure.

When deciding whether to use a roll, ask yourself two questions:
  • Is a task so easy and so free of conflict and stress that there should be no chance of failure?
  • Is a task so inappropriate or impossible- such as hitting the moon with an arrow-that it can't work?
If the answer to both of these questions is no, some kind of roll is appropriate.
It says to call for a roll if there is a meaningful consequence for failure. It's honestly not that far removed in Torchbearer 1, so you can probably apply similar principles for whenever tests or conditions are needed. If it's unnecessary to make a Test, because possible consequences from either a Condition or Twist don't make sense, then don't call for one.

Then let the players describe their characters’ interactions with the surroundings. Once you reach a point at which they are in danger or going forward is impossible without some feat, make them test a skill or ability.

Alternately, if they devise a plan, determine the point at which they are in greatest danger and make them test then.

After the players have described their actions, you respond. Ask the players one or two additional questions about their actions to make sense of what’s happening. The players may use their answers to embellish with colorful roleplay that brings their traits and wises into the description.

If the action doesn’t merit a possible twist or condition, then you should simply describe the outcome of the action and move on. Sometimes, an action a player describes isn’t relevant or doesn’t alter the situation. That’s OK, but always look for an opportunity to insert new information. If the players are spending too much time on inconsequential actions, look for a way to ratchet up the tension. During the adventure phase, players should never feel as if their characters are safe or have time to spare.

Finally, if the action would merit a twist or condition, decide which ability or skill makes sense to test based on the players’ description and set an obstacle. Once the GM calls for a test, the players are committed. The player making the test should gather dice for the skill or ability the GM called for. Players who described their help and who have a skill or wise relevant to the test should add their helping dice. Anyone who described helping is committed. No backsies.
As to when to apply a Condition or Twist, I can understand that the advice "when it makes sense" can seem unhelpful, but this is where following the fiction comes in. What are the PCs doing? Where are they doing it? What is the fictional context of their actions?

But consider, how are you determining if there is a "meaningful consequence for failure" in D&D 5e and what that would look like? The DMG offers Goldilocks-style advice - not too easy, but not too hard - but fails to substantiate what a "meaningful consequence for failure" entails. Even the "Resolution and Consequence" section kind of glosses over the consequences of failure.
You determine the consequences of attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. In most cases, doing so is straightforward. When an attack hits, it deals damage. When a creature fails a saving throw, the creature suffers a harmful effect. When an ability check equals or exceeds the DC, the check succeeds.

He is a big fan of Holmes Basic. Of RuneQuest. Of Champions, of course. Just to name a few.
Yeah, Edwards spends a fair number of videos on his YouTube channel gushing over RuneQuest and Champions.

I think that was the point! @Charlaquin is adopting something from Dungeon World that they do like and applying it to B/X. :)

Edit: Corrected 5e to B/X.
I wonder if it would almost be easier to use Worlds Without Number for this purpose as WWN uses d20+Attribute for Combat Skills, but 2d6+Attribute as Task Resolution for Non-Combat Skills. WWN does not have the best exploration rules, but those could be ported in from OSE.

Charlaquin

If "What do you want to do, players?" isn't soliciting the "dramatic needs of PCs" and "I create things on the fly to give the players a good time exploring what they asked for" isnt "framing scenes and narrating consequences in response to these needs" then I think I'm going to have to tap out of this conversation.
I believe in this context the “dramatic needs of the PCs” is referring more to things like the characters’ hopes, fears, desires, shames, etc. A lot of storygames have mechanics built around these sorts of character traits, and the gameplay often revolves around the GM dynamically generating conflict revolving around and exploring those traits. Such games are designed to be drama-generation engines, which is somewhat of a different thing than asking the players what they want to do and creating content on the fly to accommodate those desires. I still don’t think the language of GNS articulates that very well, but I do think there’s a meaningful distinction to be drawn there.

pemerton

Legend
What conversations you participate in is your prerogative.

But I could have a group of players roll up AD&D or B/X type PCs and ask them what they want to do. And then make up something on the fly to give them a good time exploring. In fact, I've done that! (Probably the last time was around 25 years ago.) It wasn't narrativism. It was improv simulationism.

Sentimentality is the enemy of criticism.
Look. There is sentimentality, and then there is having some basic decency and avoiding being a toxic troll. At the point your saying that the people who like to play differently than you have literal brain damage, you are solidly in the latter camp. Edwards may have some decent points, but but trying to hide one's toxicity and biases under the cloak of analysis and criticism not cool. Not that the hiding was done particularly effectively in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads