Fantastic Fantastic Four?

Will Fantastic Four be a boom or a bust?

• Seeing it in the theatres

Votes: 46 61.3%
  • Not seeing it in the theatres

Votes: 29 38.7%

• Poll closed .

Jarrod

First Post
I haven't seen the trailer or even looked into the movie in any way.

Though I did see the movie poster yesterday when I went to see Batman.

Sigh.... sorry, the "Fantastic (Looking) Four" isn't my mental model of the FF. I'll stick with the Incredibles.

Flyspeck23

First Post
First, I didn't want to see it, as I thought it wasn't (or couldn't?) be very faceful to the core material (and yes, I have been a fan of the comic book for nearly two decades now).

Then, somehow, this movie didn't seem like that much of a bad idea anymore. I was actually looking forward to it.

Then, after watching the original trailer two or three times, I finally saw the dubbed version (as I live in Germany). It was such a crappy and unworthy attemp of a localization that I'm actually scared to watch it in the theatre - and I might very well drive to the Netherlands to see it (some movies are shown in their original, non-dubbed version in some smaller theatres in Germany, but I'm certain that F4 isn't one of them).

Two examples:
- The Thing's catchphrase ("It's Clobberin' Time") was translated with "Jetzt halt die Luft an" (engl: "Now hold your breath").
- The scene from the trailer with Sue and Johnny on the roof top and a heat-seeking missile. In the original trailer that small bit of dialogue ("Don't even think about it." / "Never do.") IMHO captures much of the essence of both characters in a very funny way, and it's my favorite scene from the trailer (and it's one of the reasons I was looking forward to the flick). But the German dialogue goes like this: "Denk nicht mal dran" ("Don't even think about it") / "Versprochen" ("Promised"). Huh?

As I said: scary.

Bottom line: it's back to "might see it, or might not".

Allanon

Explorer
Flyspeck23 said:
Then, after watching the original trailer two or three times, I finally saw the dubbed version (as I live in Germany). It was such a crappy and unworthy attemp of a localization that I'm actually scared to watch it in the theatre - and I might very well drive to the Netherlands to see it (some movies are shown in their original, non-dubbed version in some smaller theatres in Germany, but I'm certain that F4 isn't one of them).
[offtopic]Wow, I never new that German theater dubbed every movie, I just guessed that like animation movies in the Netherlands you'd have a undubbed, subtitled version and a dubbed one.[/offtopic]

Myself I doubt'I'm gonna see it in the theaters. Maybe after I've heard some positive reviews from friends I trust, but till then it's looking like I'll wait till I can rent it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Flyspeck23 said:
Two examples:
- The Thing's catchphrase ("It's Clobberin' Time") was translated with "Jetzt halt die Luft an" (engl: "Now hold your breath").
- The scene from the trailer with Sue and Johnny on the roof top and a heat-seeking missile...the German dialogue goes like this: "Denk nicht mal dran" ("Don't even think about it") / "Versprochen" ("Promised"). Huh?

Yeesh. That's almost of Japanese-English translation caliber!

Just out of curiosity, how would "It's Clobberin' Time" best be translated to German? "Time for a beating" or some such phrase? Does German have an idiom for "Clobbering?"

Staffan

Legend
Henry said:
Yeesh. That's almost of Japanese-English translation caliber!

Just out of curiosity, how would "It's Clobberin' Time" best be translated to German? "Time for a beating" or some such phrase? Does German have an idiom for "Clobbering?"
Dunno about German, but in the Swedish translations they always used "Det är dunkardags" (or some variant thereof, like "Nu är det dunkardags").

Trivia: "It's Clobberin' Time" was the title of the combat chapter in TSR's old Marvel Super Heroes game. Best RPG chapter title ever.

Maraxle

First Post
Personally, from what I saw in the trailers, I think it looks like crap. I'll probably never see it, unless by accident, ike if it's playing on a plane I'm stuck on, or something.

Maraxle

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Wow. Obviously some folks take movies much more seriously than I do...
WTF? All I said was that I thought the trailer made it look so bad that I no longer want to see it. Misquoting me with typos and crap was uncalled for.

EDIT: Added to ignore list.

Last edited:

Maraxle said:
WTF? All I said was that I thought the trailer made it look so bad that I no longer want to see it. Misquoting me with typos and crap was uncalled for.
It was actually pretty appropriate. The trailer is specifically designed so that there's no way you could make that kind of definitive judgement at this point. So your declaration that you will never see the movie except by accident is EXACTLY equivalent to your average ignorant Internet hate blast. And I get annoyed by ignorant Internet hate blasts.

HOWEVER, I do admit that what I did was a bit pissy, at least by the standards of ENWorld, and if it offended you, I apologize -- that was not what I meant to do. Believe it or not, I never intend (well, very seldom anyway) to offend people online, and I don't want to, and I usually feel bad about having done so unintentionally.
Maraxle said:
EDIT: Added to ignore list.
Well, shucks.

Psion

Adventurer
The closest my wife gets to being geeky is she loves superhero movies. We'll probably catch this one in the theaters.

The trailers weren't enthusing me, however, and I am afraid they'll slaughter my vision of Dr. Doom.

Remove ads