• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer (spoilers)

Dire Bare

Legend
I give the movie a "7" on my personal scale. I enjoyed it, it was fun.

I don't have a problem with Galactus the cosmic cloud monster, in fact I'm GLAD they didn't have a purple giant flying through space towards Earth. And the nods they did give to the classic Galactus were fun and appreciated.

I thought the power switching was well done and fun.

I really don't think there were any major plot holes at all. Not a perfectly tight script and it lacked a bit of oomph (just as the first movie did), but overall quite fine.

I love Jessica Alba, but thought she looked strange in both films with the hair and the too much makeup. And I was very disapointed in the scene where she absorbed Johnny's power, ended up naked on the street . . . . and we didn't get to see Alba in all her glory!!! I felt cheated. ;)

I had no problem with Dr. Doom. I thought the actor who plays him in both films does a fine job. Not an amazing job that makes Doom the next Darth Vader or anything like that, but a fine job. And the fact he was out of his mask for a good part of the film was not only fine with me but in fact quite awesome. I might have missed it in this or other threads, but did anyone notice that they actually transformed the "look" of Doom from the first film into a more classic look for this film!?!?! They actually did it within the context of the story! How cool and clever is that!

I'll probably pick up the film after the inevitable super-duper extended version comes out.

Arkhandus

First Post
WayneLigon said:
I liked Galactus just as well, especially the glimpses of the classic form you get in the heart of the devouring vortex. The whole 'it's just a cloud' nonsense is just the wailing of useless 'net wanna-be naysayers; it's a pretty awesome thing looking at it on the big screen. You could look at that whole titanic thing as an updated version of the classic Galactus carrier nimbus.

WTH? I really tried to pick out details, but when they showed the reddish heart of the vortex, all I could see was a stupid mass of reddish clouds or flames. There wasn't any identifiably Galactus-oid shape in them, unless it was really well-masked to where it would only annoy us fans who couldn't pick out the horribly vague and stupid thing. Bleh. If there was any hint of Galactus' form in that, it was really stupidly handled and nigh-unrecognizeable. Maybe if I could have paused the movie in the theater at that point and spent another 5 minutes studying it, I might've been able to discern a vague semblance of Galactus, but it would be 5 wasted minutes. Stupid thing.

That said, despite massive disappointment with the crappy handling of Galactus (though Ultimate Alliance was a craptastic video game of extreme campyness in some parts, at least it managed to have a decent version of Galactus that actually looked kinda cool), overall I liked Rise of the Silver Surfer. Some parts definitely sucked, but for the most part I thought it was entertaining enough and all. It was funny but not bust-out-laughing funny for me (the trailer for The Simpsons movie beforehand was closer to being that funny, really), and it had cool enough fight scenes and characterization.

Bad choices of actors for Victor and Susan, and the way the military just blithely took Victor at his word like some kind of massively idiotic gang of morons playing at being Army officers was just plain stupid as all hell...... The power-swapping part at the end was kinda inconsistent too, but not too bad. Victor wasn't menacing enough, as another poster said, and I really don't like to see actors from stupid TV shows in any movie that's supposed to be oriented toward a different crowd.

Susan should've done something, too, when she saw Victor apparently messing around with something in the lab when he shouldn't have been. She should've been able to smash or hurl the junk on the table easily enough with her powers. I'm not sure how Victor was supposed to have controlled the Surfer's board either, given that he wasn't the chosen Herald of Galactus, and had no special connection to it; just a very rudimentary capacity to project tachyon beams or something at it from his armband-computer or whatever. It also seemed odd that the Surfer's power was apparently just about entirely connected to the board, leaving him with just the most marginal of personal ability without it, despite him being empowered as Galactus' Herald (I don't recall if this has anything to do with the comics).

I felt the movie spent too much time on the Surfer and Doom though; things were entirely too peaceful and uneventful during the long stretches of chatter and drama, with apparently just the Silver Surfer causing trouble, and being pretty much untouchable. We really see no reason for why the Fantastic Four are so popular and all, especially considering that the military apparently doesn't regard Victor von Doom to be dangerous in this movie.

DonTadow

First Post
WayneLigon said:
I find that usually people who complain about minor plot holes are either nitpickers or simply were not paying attention to the movie; in their head they were already writing out their awesome internet post about how the movie sucked rather than pay attention to what they were being shown and not shown.
We are not talking about the fantastic four's uniforms not matching up right. We are talking about major gaps in the logic of the story. We're talking about holes that made little sense at the end of the movie and aren't beginning. There's one thing to have a solid story and another thing to just end a movie.

To wit:

So you missed all the scenes of imminant destruction as the thing bears down on Earth and is stopped in the nick of time? The 'not doing anything' means Earth is still here and the Surfer stopped it in time.
No what I missed was an actual threat to Earth. There were no scenes of people on any of the planets he destroyed. There was no threat to life. We just see this cloud moving through and eating dead planets, so when he moves in on earth you wonder why he didn't eat any other planets. Again, this is coming from me watching it as a common movie goer. Yeah, comic book knowledge i know he heats planets full of life, but you don't see that in the movie, thus you're left with a midnight audience whom are perplexed.

It's quite clear what the holes are for; they allow Galactus to bypass the crust and go for the interior of the world to rip it apart in order to consume it's life force. The cloud/machine tendrils are clearly shown going for the holes. We see this several times at the end and partially at the beginning.

You missed that whole first part where he destroys a planet on screen?
Clear to who? certainly not the audience i was with and certianly not myself or anyone i was with. It was a cloud. I think this is showing a problem of people too famliar with the comic inserting their own "points" instead of watching the movie. The movie does not explain this and leaves it open. we don't even see tendrils on the cloud.

What I missed was him destroying life.

G
alactus only feeds on planets that have life on them. Dead worlds like everything else in our Solar System don't interest him. He consumes the life force of a planet as well, that thing - what ever it is - that allows a planet to generate and sustain life.
I'm glad you read the comic book, but in the movie that is not explained. Again, seperate your comic book knowledge from what actually happened in hte movie.
Another thing: we don't know if the Surfer destroyed Galactus or simply dispelled him. But this idea touches on another point. Two points, really.
We know that there was no more galactus, its safe to assume from a movie goer standpoint that he killed it. Since silver surfer was denied lines and didn't get to explain what he was doing, we can only assume that the threat was over and that galactus is dead, esle he could just come back.

In the original series, the Surfer rebels but Galactus is ultimately driven off by the appearance of the Ultimate Nullifier, which Johnny gets when the Watcher on the Moon decides to interfere. I defy anyone to present that sequence of events to an audience and have them follow it.

Other times, Galactus has been swayed by pity for the life forms he must consume. We'd hear howls over this, too, 'oh noes, the mighty Galactus defeated by the power of LUV!'.
Ok, what happened in the movie. I realize youre a fanboy, but there's still a movie on screen and none of this background knowledge is known by the audience. Perhaps next time, if this was the directors logic (they already know the comic book and can feel in the blanks) they can provide the comic books so the majority of the disappointed audience can read up after they left about all these glaring plot holes.

The Surfer is a creature that has despaired. He saved his planet but became this thing that has led to the deaths of countless other worlds. He may have had the power all along to break his servitude but could not.

See, in good fiction real characters are often their own worst enemeies. They don't behave like automatons, always chosing the 'smart' path. This is why we are able to empathize with them, because they are not perfect. I often see this kind of reaction among people who have little real world experience or who are not very empathic; they're people who 'don't understand people'. Well when it comes to fiction, that's a crippling disability because that means you're unable to understand the motivations and foibles of well-drawn characters.
Good fiction gives the protoganist proper motivation to overcome these inner demons. A 2 minute heart to heart is not that type of motivation. If saving the lives of your people is not enough motivation, what is. Saving your family and your wife should have been enough. Jessica Alba is easy on the eyes, but certainly not beautiful enough to sway me to do something that saving my wife and family could not.

I can live with the ending quite well enough; because Sue awakens memories of his former life in him, the Surfer can reach down within himself and do what must be done. He finds the will and desire to briefly become something much more than a set of statistics. It's Dramatically Appropriate, and people who can't reconcile with that are missing something inside themselves.
Wow, this sounds like a great movie. Please inform me when they release this one. Because I didn't see any implications of released memories in this one, I didn't see him reaching down. I saw a bad guy just decide at a moment that he had enough power to kill this big bad whom he was the slave of. It's appropriate only because the end of the movie was near and the director realized he didnt know how he would kill galactus. Heck, he made up some cheezeball goofey (going against his movie mythos) way to take the board back from the idiotic dr. doom.

I
usually try to hold my tongue as the level of pure stupid from the various naysayers (who seem to have been suckled on the teet of AICN talkback) is just too daunting. The bashing and nitpicking has really soared to a level that makes me yearn for the eyerolls smilie. No film or book is perfect, but the people that rail on and on about plot holes and all the various other armchair director antics has just gotten silly. I mean, jeez, is there anything these people like at all?

Let me let the persistant naysayers in on a little secret. When you think everything is crap, it's not the 'everything' that has something wrong with it. It's you.
You should probably continue to hold your tounge especially when you're not saying much, and you certainly aren't reading. No one said the movie was complete crap and a critic does not think every movie is crap. YOu look at the movie and you judge it based on what you saw, not what you interpretted and drew from references in the comic book. If the movie didn't make sense to you, if there were glaring plot holes, its certainly not a movie that should be ranked along the batman begins and spidermans, which are solid 7s, 8s and 9s. It should be average at best, which is your 4, 5, and 6 range. My problem is people lacking the knowledge of the rating system of 1-10.

Yeah, there are some truly bad movies out there; I've done my own reviews of some really amazing stinkers but the stuff I see more and more of are people railing on and on and on about stuff that is decent. Millions of other people think it's pretty darn decent as well.
Spidey 3, that was a bad movie, this movie was average. Again, i thought the first hour was pretty good. But the last act was rushed, thrown together, incohorent and went out on a wimper.

Seonaid

Explorer
DonTadow said:
Clear to who? certainly not the audience i was with and certianly not myself or anyone i was with. It was a cloud. I think this is showing a problem of people too famliar with the comic inserting their own "points" instead of watching the movie. The movie does not explain this and leaves it open. we don't even see tendrils on the cloud.

What I missed was him destroying life.
I agree. I, as a comic book reader, but not a F4 fan, was confused. Why the huge holes? It actually wasn't explained. How did the Silver Surfer, if his board was the draw, not get consumed every time a planet was destroyed? I mean, the way they were talking in the movie, all they needed to do was get rid of the board--maybe put it as close as the moon--and Earth would be fine.

Nevertheless, I full enjoyed the film. I thought it was much better than the first one (which I saw two? days before I saw this one), and while there were some poor choices (especially Alba and her overly-dyed hair and overly-made-up face, and the lack of character development), it was great. I would give it a solid 7, for the reasons Vigilance has outlined already.

DonTadow said:
I'm glad you read the comic book, but in the movie that is not explained. Again, seperate your comic book knowledge from what actually happened in hte movie

You're proving the point about not paying attention during the movie because it WAS explained which planets Galactus consumes.

Not only do we have the Silver Surfer above the planet call to his master and specifically point out this one planet is ready for him, but we also later have the Surfer explain that Galactus needs the thermal AND life energy of planets.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
DonTadow said:
Yeah, comic book knowledge i know he heats planets full of life, but you don't see that in the movie, thus you're left with a midnight audience whom are perplexed.

There was also the part of the movie where the Silver Surfer tells Sue that Galactus needs to consume living things.

Good fiction gives the protoganist proper motivation to overcome these inner demons. A 2 minute heart to heart is not that type of motivation. If saving the lives of your people is not enough motivation, what is. Saving your family and your wife should have been enough. Jessica Alba is easy on the eyes, but certainly not beautiful enough to sway me to do something that saving my wife and family could not.

And yet, it's the same thing that motivates the Surfer to stand up to Galactus in the comics. So you're left with either completely disregarding the Surfer as a character in all mediums, or else you accept that seeing Sue help him and fight to save her planet in the movie motivated Norrin in the same way that Alicia Masters helping him in the comics restored his humanity.

It could have been explored more thoroughly, yes, but it's the same fundamental motivation the Surfer has always had.

Also, on the topic of Surfer vs. Galactus, the ending really isn't all that clear (sadly) about what happens. We are led to believe from the Surfer's explanation that simply leaving the planet will draw Galactus away (as the board is the beacon), so it should have been over at that point, but then Reed comments it is too late, and the Surfer ends up doing... something, that seemingly discorporates both he and Galactus. For all we know, he could have just transported himself and his board elsewhere, drawing Galactus with him. The ambiguity was a bit annoying (as was, IMO, the fact that the Fantastic Four, our protagonists of the film, really didn't save the day- which is possibly my chief complaint with the story myself.)

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
When it comes to depicting Galactus, I don't think there was a way to please everybody. Either they could go with something cool-looking but not true to the classic comics, or they could go with classic Galactus, and have everyone not familiar with the character laughing their heads off at the guy in the blue-and-purple plastic suit with the part-totem-pole, part-Grand-Poobah hat and the really big feet. Remember how bad The Hulk looked in CGI?

Cthulhudrew said:
Apparently there was a scene after the credits with the Silver Surfer. Did anyone else stay to watch this?
Yep.

It was just a very short scene of the board floating out in space. i.e. the Surfer is alive, and probably Galactus, too.

John Crichton

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Apparently there was a scene after the credits with the Silver Surfer. Did anyone else stay to watch this?
Actually, it wasn't even really after the credits. The credits did start and then they cut to the scene and back to the credits. Or something like that.

Bottom line is that they did not make you wait around until the very end of the credits.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads