FFG's STAR WARS License Renewed - and Includes Episode 7!

There's not much that has come out of GAMA yet (although I'm sure some stuff will), but word has reached me that Fantasy Flight Games - which produces Edge of the Empire and other Star Wars RPGs - has had its license renewed. Not only that, but the license includes material from Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

There's not much that has come out of GAMA yet (although I'm sure some stuff will), but word has reached me that Fantasy Flight Games - which produces Edge of the Empire and other Star Wars RPGs - has had its license renewed. Not only that, but the license includes material from Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

Edge of the Empire was released in 2012, and has two sequels: Age of Rebellion and Force & Destiny (the beginner game of which is apparently at the printer right now, and the full game expected May-ish).

pic1774201.jpg

Chimpy

First Post
I love the presentation of the rulebooks, the production quality, the artwork, the setting... I just don't like the dice mechanic :-(

delericho

Legend
I'm currently reading 'Edge of the Empire' and 'Age of Rebellion' in parallel, comparing them chapter by chapter. I felt it's a bit bold, that they're selling you roughly 60% of the same content three times

White Wolf used to do that with all their games. The thing is, if they're meant to be standalone games, they need to do that!

Anyway, it's okay provided the rules remain exactly the same each time, or if the rules changes are very significant. That way, you either don't have to worry about it or the change is so large it slaps you in the face and can't really be annoyed. Just as long as they don't make small changes that require you to carefully reread the whole thing to pick up on the minutae...

However, there's small differences everywhere...

Oh. Never mind then.

Although I haven't played it yet, I think, I like the custom dice system.

Sadly, that was an absolute deal-breaker for me. That and my already having several different Star Wars RPGs and no need of another.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Sadly, that was an absolute deal-breaker for me. That and my already having several different Star Wars RPGs and no need of another.
I heartily recommend giving the dice a chance. The system is amazing, makes for great buy in from the players, is fast, and quite fun. It's made better roleplayers out of my 5e players that have tried it. Hell, I wish 5e used this.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I wish I could get into the system, but I tried the story dice mechanic with Warhammer FRP 3, and it left me very cold - I just have a hard time getting into it. But I do know people who are having a lotta fun with it, and I'm glad they're not getting left in the cold. My Saga Edition books ain't going anywhere for me. :)

The dice mechanic was simplified and streamlined in SW, reducing the bucket o' dice syndrome from WFRP. So we are playing WFRPv3 with the SW mechanic.

Instead of adding dice, dice are upgraded which works well for us.

/M

fjw70

Adventurer
I like the dice system. My issue with the game (besides no PDFs) is all the fiddly bits of talents and force power trees, weapon mods, etc. I have played around with simplifying the game but haven't had much time to try them out.

I really love the 5e model of a simple core with add-on rules that are truly optional.

fjw70

Adventurer
The dice mechanic was simplified and streamlined in SW, reducing the bucket o' dice syndrome from WFRP. So we are playing WFRPv3 with the SW mechanic.

Instead of adding dice, dice are upgraded which works well for us.

/M

The dice system was greatly improved for SW. After seeing the Star Wars game I picked up WH 3e since it had a similar system but that a lot more rules heavy than SW. Although I did like the idea of the aggressive and conservative dice, at least in theory.

jeffh

Adventurer
The dice system is great, I think it plays really well and people "grok" it easily enough. I don't know what the Warhammer one was like - which is stupid because I actually have it, but have never read it - so I can't speak to that comparison - but IME people pick it up quickly and the basic game and the beta explain it well. Pity the final books somehow developed all those tumors, but the actual system they describe, I have no problem with.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
FFG is doing amazing things with Star Wars right now and Disney knows that. Their Imperial Assault board game has been reported to be FGG's biggest selling game ever, and their X-Wing miniature game is now its number 2 largest selling product line ever.

The dice system for their rpgs is amazing and one of the best I've ever had the opportunity to play with. It's fantastic and does a greater job of helping players tell and adapting to the story than almost any other rpg game system I've played. It's also easier than most games. All you have to do is compare symbols... no real math necessary.

Jhaelen

First Post
White Wolf used to do that with all their games. The thing is, if they're meant to be standalone games, they need to do that!
I liked the WoD approach better: They put all their common rules in a 'World of Darkness' core book, then released one specific core book for each of the different 'species' populating WoD, that described how they differed from the default. There was some overlap and duplication, but not as much as in FFG's Star Wars core books.

Anyway, it's okay provided the rules remain exactly the same each time, or if the rules changes are very significant. That way, you either don't have to worry about it or the change is so large it slaps you in the face and can't really be annoyed. Just as long as they don't make small changes that require you to carefully reread the whole thing to pick up on the minutae...
[...]
Oh. Never mind then.
I haven't noticed any actual rule changes. It's mostly just added (or different) 'fluff', examples and clarifications. In AoR, there's one additional skill, several new pieces of equipment and different ships. That's about it.

Regarding previous Star Wars RPGs, I only know the version from West End Games. My memory about it is very fuzzy, though - too long ago that I played it. I just remember I didn't like it enough to play more than a few sessions.

Judging from what I've read so far, the FFG version has a few skills too many for my taste, but I really like the system of careers and specializations. In particular, I think it's great, that there's no limitations regarding how many specializations you can take, and that you aren't limited to choices within your career. Since it doesn't use levels (you just expend xp to buy specializations, skill ranks or talents), you can really pick and choose to create exactly the kind of character you want to play.

Oh, and I can't wait to get my hands on 'Force And Destiny', duplicated rule text or no! :)

Remove ads

Remove ads