D&D 5E Finally

Lanoitakude

First Post
*DROOL*

Need... more... spells... known (& slots to cast them).

I know, right!? The Warlock is really shaping up to be interesting both mechanically and thematically. I really like that they have "Warlock-only" spells, like Arms of Hadar and Hex. The Hexblade is definitely baked into the class.

Too many character ideas, too few campaigns to play them in!

Stalker0

Legend
After 40 pages of reading i will finally bite:)

Can you tell us about the monks defensive abilities? Do they get unarmoured defense bonuses, any evasion or dr type abilities?

Lanoitakude

First Post

Can you tell us about the monks defensive abilities? Do they get unarmoured defense bonuses, any evasion or dr type abilities?

Hey Stalker, this was answered a few pages ago (by myself and others). They get their unarmored defense (Wis+Dex) and the usual suite of Evasion and other features. They can also spend Ki to take the Dodge Action as a Bonus Action, and deflect arrows.

Brian Michaluk

First Post

monks unarmered defence. ac = 10 + dex wis
deflect missiles
slow fall
patient defence
stillness of mind
purity of body
diamond soul
empty body

Remathilis

Legend
Key word, suggested. :D

I'm so glad Wizards did that.

That is nice. It gives the DM some wiggle room for allowing non-traditional clerics (such as having a Life cleric for a deity usually associated with mischief or knowledge) and allows for expansion later without rejiggering everything. (So a hypothetical darkness domain might just get added to the proper deities, without having to rebalance how many domains a deity gets).

Counting the DMG, there are 8 PHB cleric domains and 8 PHB wizard schools. I like the parallel.

Vael

Legend
An example, a Sorc can convert slots into sorcery points and use them to create multiple lower level slots. The way spells scale, two level 1 Chromatic Orbs are as potent as a single level 4 Chromatic Orb. It allows him to spread his resources thinner if needed.

They also get metamagic feats to further modify their spellcasting, allowing them to customize their attacks in a broader way than Wizards can. For example, take the Chromatic Orb example above. Instead of casting a level 4 Chromatic Orb (6d8+Cha if you're Draconic and use the right element) you can convert that slot into Sorcery points and spend 1 of those points to Twin Spell a level 1 Chromatic Orb, dealing 3d8+Cha twice. So you gain damage and spend less resources.

... Okay, thanks. I was worried Sorcerers would still get the short straw. I like that Spell slots and Sorcery points blur into each other like that. And that's an interesting observation, I hadn't thought about optimizing for damage like that.

HTaiji

First Post
They also get metamagic feats to further modify their spellcasting, allowing them to customize their attacks in a broader way than Wizards can. For example, take the Chromatic Orb example above. Instead of casting a level 4 Chromatic Orb (6d8+Cha if you're Draconic and use the right element) you can convert that slot into Sorcery points and spend 1 of those points to Twin Spell a level 1 Chromatic Orb, dealing 3d8+Cha twice. So you gain damage and spend less resources.

If you do that, aren't you spending a 4th level slot + a 1st level slot to do the same damage you'd get from a 4th level slot? o_O I get it that you get extra cha damage... but you could do 6d8+Cha + 3d8+Cha with those same slots in 2 turns... or am I missing something?

Xodis

First Post
That is nice. It gives the DM some wiggle room for allowing non-traditional clerics (such as having a Life cleric for a deity usually associated with mischief or knowledge) and allows for expansion later without rejiggering everything. (So a hypothetical darkness domain might just get added to the proper deities, without having to rebalance how many domains a deity gets).

This allows Clerics of Lolth to be more useful to their party instead of just the Angry chick-in-charge.

"You dont get healing, youre pathetic. This one on the other hand served Lolth well and shall be mended..."

ManectricMan

First Post
I'm a bit curious as to what the "Jump" spell entails. I know it sounds self-explanatory, but given how a spell called "Weird" is a very powerful 9th level spell (for good reason), names can be deceiving. Could someone please post the specs of the spell?

Remove ads