D&D 5E Fix 5e.... in one sentence

Thunder Brother

God Learner
This would be a pretty weak feat unless you allowed it to be used by characters who did not have proficiency in the weapon they were using (for example a greatsword-wielding cleric). In that case it would be a huge boon for those classes and extra damage without any penalty.

For most martials though or people proficient in martial weapons this would not be worth taking and logically would drive even more people towards dex builds that are already more powerful.
Making Great Weapon Master weaker is the entire point of this change, as it and Sharpshooter (as well as Polearm Master) clearly outshine other feats in terms of power. With this change, both feats would scale with proficiency (a concept WotC seems to like), allowing their power to increase as the PC gains levels.

I don't see how a -2 to attack for a +4 to damage wouldn't be a fair trade at 1st-4th levels.

Heavy Armor Master would probably benefit from a similar approach.

Dausuul

Legend
Making Great Weapon Master weaker is the entire point of this change, as it and Sharpshooter (as well as Polearm Master) clearly outshine other feats in terms of power. With this change, both feats would scale with proficiency (a concept WotC seems to like), allowing their power to increase as the PC gains levels.
GWM and Sharpshooter are reasonably balanced feats on their own. The problem is that they become turbocharged when you stack them with accuracy boosters (Reckless Attack, Archery fighting style, etc.).

If you just nerf them, then they require accuracy boosters to be worth taking. I'd rather see a change that focused on reducing their combo potential, specifically.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Heavy Armor Master would probably benefit from a similar approach.

Heavy Armor Master suffers from a different problem.

From levels 1-5 It's amazing and nets tons of HP. But exactly 1 race can take it from levels 1-3, the rest get it at 4+, so it's a real limited window.

By level 5 you're seeing more and more magic weapons/monsters with attacks that count as magic etc. so the usefulness really drops off (in many campaigns, certainly not all).

Frankly, I think it would be fine to just drop the "nonmagical" part and just have any weapon attack qualify - but I haven't seen that tested.

Heavy Armor Master suffers from a different problem.

From levels 1-5 It's amazing and nets tons of HP. But exactly 1 race can take it from levels 1-3, the rest get it at 4+, so it's a real limited window.

By level 5 you're seeing more and more magic weapons/monsters with attacks that count as magic etc. so the usefulness really drops off (in many campaigns, certainly not all).

Frankly, I think it would be fine to just drop the "nonmagical" part and just have any weapon attack qualify - but I haven't seen that tested.
It didn't come up as often as we thought it would but we were all glad we didn't have to hear the paladin ask "Does that count as magical?" anymore.

My change is to add the following line to the dual-wielder feat:
  • While you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand you can choose to make your additional off hand attack as part of the Attack action.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It didn't come up as often as we thought it would but we were all glad we didn't have to hear the paladin ask "Does that count as magical?" anymore.

My change is to add the following line to the dual-wielder feat:
  • While you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand you can choose to make your additional off hand attack as part of the Attack action.

I like it - though you're going to have some joker weilding a quarterstaff/longsword combo (taking a 1st level fighter with the two-weapon fighting style so it's all "legal") and insisting on 3 attacks per round.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
In any small town or larger such settlement, you may, at the GM's discretion, find a magic shop that buys and sells magic items (please refer to this handy table showing the values of various magic items).

HammerMan

Legend
"A short rest, which can be taken no more than twice in 24 hours, is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour 5 minutes long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds."
I would go with 15 min...but also good

Remove ads