D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury Dragons Ranked By Challenge Rating

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items. By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are: Ancient crystal (19) Ancient topaz (20) Ancient emerald (21) Ancient moonstone (21) Ancient sapphire (22) Elder brain dragon (22) Ancient amethyst (23) Ancient dragon turtle (24) Gem...

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items.

fbtod.png

By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are:
  • Ancient crystal (19)
  • Ancient topaz (20)
  • Ancient emerald (21)
  • Ancient moonstone (21)
  • Ancient sapphire (22)
  • Elder brain dragon (22)
  • Ancient amethyst (23)
  • Ancient dragon turtle (24)
  • Gem greatwyrm (26)
  • Chromatic greatwyrm (27)
  • Metallic greatwyrm (28)
  • Apects of Bahamut and Tiamat (30)
Interestingly, it appears that the great wyrm category is divided into three -- gem, chromatic, metallic -- rather than by each dragon type.

There's also an alphabetical list of all 20 dragon types in the book:
  • Amethyst
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Brass
  • Bronze
  • Copper
  • Crystal
  • Deep
  • Dragon turtle
  • Emerald
  • Faerie
  • Gold
  • Green
  • Moonstone
  • Red
  • Sapphire
  • Shadow
  • Silver
  • Topaz
  • White

Scribe

Legend
99% of it seems to be the standardization of their look.
Standardized look. -> Removal of agency at the player level.
Flipped the ASI. -> Removal of the -2 Cha!
Standardized back story -> Removal of agency at the player level.
Monolithic history. -> 'Forced' Asmodeus changes.

Not a single thing I see as a positive! :LOL:

what is the point if you do not look like you walked from hell anyway? do they want to look like Demogorgon?

No? Not at all.

Thats the whole point. We used to be able to look like how we wanted our characters to appear. The 4e version ruined that.

Granted, they (Wizards) have heard my pleas, and backed off of all that and we have a solution in SCAG, but thats the root of it for me. The 4e Tiefling took away player agency, and forced this thing on us that may as well be a Cambion.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Standardized look. -> Removal of agency at the player level.
Flipped the ASI. -> Removal of the -2 Cha!
Standardized back story -> Removal of agency at the player level.
Monolithic history. -> 'Forced' Asmodeus changes.

Not a single thing I see as a positive! :LOL:

No? Not at all.

Thats the whole point. We used to be able to look like how we wanted our characters to appear. The 4e version ruined that.

Granted, they (Wizards) have heard my pleas, and backed off of all that and we have a solution in SCAG, but thats the root of it for me. The 4e Tiefling took away player agency, and forced this thing on us that may as well be a Cambion.
they removed all minus numbers is not a flaw.
a concrete origin help place them in a setting.
a look that has propelled them to stardom.

before it was a race that would never make it into the handbook now it is a major race.
before what was it charts you rolled on?
and how many people really care beyond horns, tails and hoofs anyway?

the problem with infinite possibility is you end up in a decision trap of not knowing where to go with it which is a minus to playability.
should it have stayed a third-place race? what should have had that slot instead?

Scribe

Legend
they removed all minus numbers is not a flaw.
a concrete origin help place them in a setting.
a look that has propelled them to stardom.
Removing negative modifiers is a flaw. (Subjective)
Then they should have been left there.
Subjective.

and how many people really care beyond horns, tails and hoofs anyway?
Clearly many, since in your estimation that is what propelled them to 'stardom'.

the problem with infinite possibility is you end up in a decision trap of not knowing where to go with it which is a minus to playability.
should it have stayed a third-place race? what should have had that slot instead?
If thats a problem, boy do I have some news for you regarding new race design.

Nothing needed to be added, but they could have easily retained the proper Tiefling, and even included the Aasimar which oddly enough doesnt NEED to look like a glowing, Wings sprouted, Halo on head, Angel.

Bolares

Hero
I think everyone has a point here. IMHO the best way to do a lineage is not to be entirelly free (like it was before 4e) o be too restrictive (like it was in 4e and early 5e). To me the best way to go is to give the lineage a definitive look and backstory, to give players somewhere to start creating from, and then give other options and variants. that's why I like what SCAG did (that book had to do at least one thing right), giving more backgrounds for Tieflings.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads