D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury Dragons Ranked By Challenge Rating

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items. By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are: Ancient crystal (19) Ancient topaz (20) Ancient emerald (21) Ancient moonstone (21) Ancient sapphire (22) Elder brain dragon (22) Ancient amethyst (23) Ancient dragon turtle (24) Gem...

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items.

fbtod.png

By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are:
  • Ancient crystal (19)
  • Ancient topaz (20)
  • Ancient emerald (21)
  • Ancient moonstone (21)
  • Ancient sapphire (22)
  • Elder brain dragon (22)
  • Ancient amethyst (23)
  • Ancient dragon turtle (24)
  • Gem greatwyrm (26)
  • Chromatic greatwyrm (27)
  • Metallic greatwyrm (28)
  • Apects of Bahamut and Tiamat (30)
Interestingly, it appears that the great wyrm category is divided into three -- gem, chromatic, metallic -- rather than by each dragon type.

There's also an alphabetical list of all 20 dragon types in the book:
  • Amethyst
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Brass
  • Bronze
  • Copper
  • Crystal
  • Deep
  • Dragon turtle
  • Emerald
  • Faerie
  • Gold
  • Green
  • Moonstone
  • Red
  • Sapphire
  • Shadow
  • Silver
  • Topaz
  • White

Looks like I'll have to update my list of dragons soon: Fantastic Friday: True Dragons in D&D

Can't tell you how disappointed I was that this never became reality.
13516447_967027703414459_7781643778706443668_n.png

Your list is wrong the Metallic Steel Dragon's introduction wasn't actually in 4e, it's just that 4e retconned the Waterdeep Dragon into being a Metallic Dragon, Steel Dragon.

Looking at the notes it appears the Steel/Waterdeep Dragons origins are from the 1990 Dracomaticon.

I think 4e is did this with a bunch of Dragons that they pushed into preexisting Dragon families, Grey Dragons are just Fang Dragons that got pushed into the Chromatic Dragon Family in 4e, Deep Dragons got turned into Purple Dragons in 4e as well I think, I don't think Deep Dragons were seen as Chromatic until 4e. So a much of the new Chromatic and Metallic Dragons actually preexisted as Dragons using a different name unlinked to Chromatic or Metallic. I don't have a full list of which Dragons were absorbed into Chromatics and Metallics breeds in 4e.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
I doubt that. The look is standardized in 5e as well. It has to be something else in addition to that, or both editions would be getting the same hate.
Oh, I hate the 5e default as well, but thats simply because its a continuation that was maintained, so I dont 'blame it' as much as 4e.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Your list is wrong the Metallic Steel Dragon's introduction wasn't actually in 4e, it's just that 4e retconned the Waterdeep Dragon into being a Metallic Dragon, Steel Dragon.
That is a different dragon, I'll have add the 2E Steel Dragon. But the 2E and 4E Steel Dragons are completely different -- the 2E Steel Dragon exhales a gas that affects its targets like the feign death spell, while the 4E Steel Dragon exhales, uh, "force damage" apparently. And they're both different from the 1E Ahi, the Steel Dragon, who exhales either poison gas, scalding water vapor, or a magical gas that causes creatures to become gaseous clouds.

EDIT: Actually, you're incorrect, it's already there under Renegade Dragons in the list. The 2E Steel Dragon is not a Metallic Dragon. Both the 4E Steel Dragon and the 1E Ahi the Steel Dragon are said to be part of the Metallic Dragons in their descriptions.

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
That is a different dragon, I'll have add the 2E Steel Dragon. But the 2E and 4E Steel Dragons are completely different -- the 2E Steel Dragon exhales a gas that affects its targets like the feign death spell, while the 4E Steel Dragon exhales, uh, "force damage" apparently. And they're both different from the 1E Ahi, the Steel Dragon, who exhales either poison gas, scalding water vapor, or a magical gas that causes creatures to become gaseous clouds.

EDIT: Actually, you're incorrect, it's already there under Renegade Dragons in the list. The 2E Steel Dragon is not a Metallic Dragon. Both the 4E Steel Dragon and the 1E Ahi the Steel Dragon are said to be part of the Metallic Dragons in their descriptions.
how do we have three steel dragon types?
why do we have alloy dragons anyway?

Looking at the notes it appears the Steel/Waterdeep Dragons origins are from the 1990 Dracomaticon.

I think 4e is did this with a bunch of Dragons that they pushed into preexisting Dragon families, Grey Dragons are just Fang Dragons that got pushed into the Chromatic Dragon Family in 4e, Deep Dragons got turned into Purple Dragons in 4e as well I think, I don't think Deep Dragons were seen as Chromatic until 4e. So a much of the new Chromatic and Metallic Dragons actually preexisted as Dragons using a different name unlinked to Chromatic or Metallic. I don't have a full list of which Dragons were absorbed into Chromatics and Metallics breeds in 4e.

Actually, they were originally called Greyhawk Dragons, and first appeared in the Greyhawk Adventures hardcover in 1988. They became known as Waterdeep Dragons in the Forgotten Realms since, well, you can't have something called a Greyhawk Dragon on Toril! Finally, it was decided just to call them all steel dragons just to keep things simpler and have a singular general name for them all..

(The article you quote mentions their original name, although not the original source)

The 2e Waterdeep/Greyhawk Dragon ARE the same Dragon type as the 4e Steel Dragon, it's just that they altered the Breath Weapon, among other things, like retconning them into being Metallic Dragons. Like the Deep Dragons breath weapon was changed in 4e, it didn't make them a different kind of Dragon, it was just a retcon to a preexisting type of Dragon. Most of the Fluff matches.

It's simular to how 4e took Succubi and turned them into Devil's, instead of Demons, they were a seperate Succubi race, they retconned it, although Erin M. Evans fitted it for FR so it wasn't a retcon, more so a recent change of alliagence.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Why do you say that? They seem to fit very well with thev4e world building. In fact, the world building of 4e is one of the things that brought me back to D&D after skipping most if 2e & 3e
The worldbuilding of 4e was designed for two purposes: to create a coherent D&D setting for branding purposes (D&D consists of these things...) and to make a setting that centered entirely around adventurers and the adventures they do. I see both of these as artificial and crass. In my opinion, it is worldbuilding for the wrong reasons, building the world around the game instead of the game around the world.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads