• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flight of the Resistance (Star Wars)

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] One thing I appreciated about your character write-up is that you used sections of the books dealing with Beginnings, Attitude Toward the Force, and Reason for Adventure that I hadn't looked at yet.

For others, in the books that corresponds with Step 1: Character Background.

I wanted to brainstorm what "In the wrong place at the wrong time" means for Arsinoe when it comes to devising our starting scene. My inclination is to do an action scene first, open the game with some stakes and an excuse to gradually introduce the dice rolling mechanics. A tutorial, much like the FFG Beginner box sets do. I'm thinking some kind of a chase scene through the rainforests/interconnected islands of Kabal.

Now, you'd pitched the idea of Arsinoe working as a cantina dancer or shop girl in one of the settlements. Would placing Arsinoe in the rainforest feel like an out-of-character intro for her? Or is there a way that could work for you?

More to come soon as I brainstorm specifics...

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=14655]Green Karl[/MENTION] So for Morality, you choose an Emotional Strength and an Emotional Weakness. And most PCs begin with Morality 50 (in between Light and Dark), but you can opt to start with Morality 29 (Dark Side) or Morality 71 (Light Side). If you start in the Dark Side, however, I'll ask that you orient your character toward atoning for past sins; I don't think the game we're creating is suited to a Dark Side party.

Normally Emotional Strengths/Weaknesses are paired like so:

Bravery / Anger
Love / Jealousy
Caution / Fear
Enthusiasm / Recklesness
Compassion / Hatred
Mercy / Weakness
Curiosity / Obsession
Pride / Arrogance
Independence / Coldness
Ambition / Greed
Justice / Cruelty
Discipline / Obstinance

If none of those appeal, I'm OK with you making up your own as long as the Strength and Weakness feel like two sides of the same coin.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] One thing I appreciated about your character write-up is that you used sections of the books dealing with Beginnings, Attitude Toward the Force, and Reason for Adventure that I hadn't looked at yet.

For others, in the books that corresponds with Step 1: Character Background.

I wanted to brainstorm what "In the wrong place at the wrong time" means for Arsinoe when it comes to devising our starting scene. My inclination is to do an action scene first, open the game with some stakes and an excuse to gradually introduce the dice rolling mechanics. A tutorial, much like the FFG Beginner box sets do. I'm thinking some kind of a chase scene through the rainforests/interconnected islands of Kabal.

Now, you'd pitched the idea of Arsinoe working as a cantina dancer or shop girl in one of the settlements. Would placing Arsinoe in the rainforest feel like an out-of-character intro for her? Or is there a way that could work for you?

More to come soon as I brainstorm specifics...
I'm sure we could come up with a reason for her to be out there. Anything from something as innocent as out picking mushrooms to supplement her diet/income to a bit more sinister, a patron whi can't take no for an answer hauls her out there, a bit more damsel in distress.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
[MENTION=14655]Green Karl[/MENTION] So for Morality, you choose an Emotional Strength and an Emotional Weakness. And most PCs begin with Morality 50 (in between Light and Dark), but you can opt to start with Morality 29 (Dark Side) or Morality 71 (Light Side). If you start in the Dark Side, however, I'll ask that you orient your character toward atoning for past sins; I don't think the game we're creating is suited to a Dark Side party.

Normally Emotional Strengths/Weaknesses are paired like so:

Bravery / Anger
Love / Jealousy
Caution / Fear
Enthusiasm / Recklesness
Compassion / Hatred
Mercy / Weakness
Curiosity / Obsession
Pride / Arrogance
Independence / Coldness
Ambition / Greed
Justice / Cruelty
Discipline / Obstinance

If none of those appeal, I'm OK with you making up your own as long as the Strength and Weakness feel like two sides of the same coin.
Feel free to break pairs up, too. That's what I did, since Greed didn't really fit my image of Noe.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Two Force-Sensitive Emergents I have no problem with. Heck, if you wanted to play an all-Jedi party, I'd be OK with that.

Also I can provide snapshots of relevant careers/specializations/species, just PM me what you're interested in.

Well, Force Emergent is barely Jedi LOL It gives you some nice perks, but you're not going to be pulling any Jedi stunts until you buy some power trees. When you throw lightsabers into the mix, then things get a bit more...interesting.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Yes, with the caveat that since I don't have anything beyond the core 3, I'll need you to describe any non-core talents/traits you take. My hunch, after seeing one that KahlessNestor took is that they're probably balanced, but I do want to double check (and just have a sense of what your PCs are capable of).

Yeah, everything seems pretty balanced. I have all the books, but haven't necessarily read them. Special Modifications might be interesting to pick up because it has rules for hacking and for making gear. The Signature Abilities in the splat books can appear pretty broken, but they also have significant cost, in that you have to reach the bottoms of your specialization tree, and spend Destiny Points to use them, so they are pretty powerful.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
A couple other observations:

1. How are we going to handle Destiny Points?

2. I have noticed that pure combat classes can get pretty broken fairly fast. Autofire is especially susceptible to this. But I don't think we have any of that here. More conservative XP handouts might alleviate this somewhat. But then lightsabers can get the same way, since they ignore soak, though not sure they're as broken as autofire.

3. I will warn you all that there is somewhat of a curse associated with me, to the extent that everyone I play this Star Wars game with calls it "Matting it up". I can roll six yellows and come up all advantage :/ It seems to spread among the group from me LOL

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
So I reworked Arsinoe with the extra XP from her Obligation, and fleshed out some of the Obligation, Duty, and Morality (though I only took the extra XP for her Duty, since she's an Edge character). Changed her Force Power to Influence. She'll get Enhance eventually.

Arsinoe Anjuliz

Remove ads