Forest of Doom - IC Thread

S'mon

Legend
OOC: Busy week!

Paaq hums as he peers over the edge, watching Kip's descent. Frowning, he looks closer at the jagged rocks, and then to Chera's bare feet.

"Chera, this may not be an easy climb... Are you comfortable trying it?" He eyes her, trying to judge her weight. "I might be able to carry you down..."

GM: Chera looks at the stone steps leading down - they are fairly worn, nothing too jagged.

Chera:
"I should be fine if I stick to the path."

GM: I'm taking it the rest of the group is descending the steps, then.

Jonath (+7 Balance) descends as easily is if walking through the streets of Chalice.
Chera (+0 Balance) finds the going harder, and takes her time.
Keena (+3 Balance > +2) is ok even in her studded leather (-1).

That leaves Paaq: +2 DEX, -2 chain shirt > +0, limbering his light shield he gets down ok, though carrying Chera would have been very risky for both.

Eventually you all stand at the foot of the waterfall, the path goes behind the spray into the hidden cave beyond.

(tag PCs)

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
OOC: Huh... For some reason my mind slipped 'jagged' into the description; must learn this 'reading' skill everyone seems to have.

For the record, if rolls are needed, unless we're in combat, Paaq will take off his chain shirt and carry it in his pack while climbing - a round to a minute of unarmoredness is preferable to falling to one's death because a roll was missed by 2...

"How are we for torches? The tunnel beyond may not be getting very good light if it has to filter through the waterfall... I have 8, but may need my hands free for sword and shield if trouble occurs."

OOC: Does the trail look like it exits from behind the watefall on the other side of the pool, or does it seem more like this is a cave beyond the water?

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Kip stays 'on guard' until the others have reached the base of the stairs. He looks back at Paaq and then at the Waterfall.

I'll take one of the torches and go scout it out, see if there is anything back there to worry about or if we can just walk through. I'll be sure to scream if something happens.

He waits for the torch.

AlphaSheWolf

First Post
Kip stays 'on guard' until the others have reached the base of the stairs. He looks back at Paaq and then at the Waterfall.

I'll take one of the torches and go scout it out, see if there is anything back there to worry about or if we can just walk through. I'll be sure to scream if something happens.

He waits for the torch.

OOC: TO SIMON: Guess you missed it when I said Keena would come down last sans rope that way she could keep her rope, but that's okay. Guess she will just buy another rope when they get back to a town

Keena pulls out two torches.

"I'm going with you," she announces as she lights the torches and hands one to Kip.

S'mon

Legend
OOC: Does the trail look like it exits from behind the watefall on the other side of the pool, or does it seem more like this is a cave beyond the water?

GM: The trail exits from behind the waterfall on the other side of the plunge pool, winding up the far bank.

There's enough water falling even at the fringe of the waterfall to douse any lit torch you took through there; but you should be able to see ok once through there and could light a dry torch later if necessary.

S'mon

Legend
GM: You pass through the fringe of the waterfall - getting wet, but torches wrapped in your packs can be kept dry enough to light.

Behind the waterfall is a large cavern where there is a pool of calm water. The steps run round the side of the cavern to a small outcrop on which stands a stone table and chair.

Beyond the outcrop the trail continues round, exiting the far side of the waterfall.

S'mon

Legend
OOC:
For the record, if rolls are needed, unless we're in combat, Paaq will take off his chain shirt and carry it in his pack while climbing - a round to a minute of unarmoredness is preferable to falling to one's death because a roll was missed by 2...

OOC: OK - of course you might regret that if you get attacked right after you make the climb! :devil: Paaq's +2 DEX mod cancels out the chain shirt armour check penalty.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Kip steps into the cavern and eyes the contents. The table and chair get a long stare as he stands at Keena's side.

I don't recommend anyone sit at that table. After the last strange chair we ran into.

He slowly turns on heel looking the cavern over for anything that just appears out of place, side from the table and chair. Of special interest is the calm pool in the floor.

This forest just gets more and more disturbing by the minute. How many things am I going to run across that remind of old tales I was told in my youth. None of them had particularly good endings.

He steps toward the water, stopping when he is close enough, but not right up on it, to crouch down and take a good line of sight across the surface.

Cor Azer

First Post
OOC: OK - of course you might regret that if you get attacked right after you make the climb! :devil: Paaq's +2 DEX mod cancels out the chain shirt armour check penalty.

OOC: Well, climbs and jumps I'm not too worried about because Paaq has some ranks in them; in this case it was the Balance check, and since combat didn't seem imminent, it looked like safer risk than tumbling into the river gorge. But we'll play it by ear...

Paaq stays at the back of the group after Keena descends, adjusting his chain shirt and watching for other threats as the rest move forward to explore the cave.

Upon learning about the table and chair, Paaq furrows his brow. "Are we talking dinner table? Or just a writing desk? Seems odd with just a single chair... And made of stone? Do they look carved in place, or were they moved into the cave?"

The former baker finds himself agreeing with Kip's odd evaluation of the woods.

Remove ads