Forest of Doom - IC Thread

S'mon

Legend
OOC: well then..how tall is the falls, especially the steps? and is there a tree or stump to tie the rope off on and then use it to guide our way down to the bank below the falls where we can travel safely in order to find a safe crossing?

The waterfall tumbles down nearly 100'. If you're willing to leave your rope behind tied off to the tree nearest the top you could use it to guide yourself down the first 40' or so. Keena assesses the steps - you reckon though the steps should not be particularly dangerous to someone descending carefully, unless they were encumbered with armour/shield/heavy load (ie have a negative Balance check modifier; DC 5 to descend but you'd have to 'roll 0' or lower on a Balance check to actually fall off the steps and plunge into the gorge to your doom).

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Kip eyes the situation, watching cautiously. The entire morning he's had a hand on one or the other of his daggers at all times. As his cohorts discuss things he looks down, down, down the steps. He kneels down and then stands back up.

If we want to try the steps, I'd be willing to go down first. I dare say I probably have the best chance of easing down them, I can watch for any bad spots along the way. If I slip and fall into the gorge, you'll know they aren't safe enough to travel. If I can make it down safely, I can probably make it back up safely as well. At least I can scout what is at the bottom.

AlphaSheWolf

First Post
Kip eyes the situation, watching cautiously. The entire morning he's had a hand on one or the other of his daggers at all times. As his cohorts discuss things he looks down, down, down the steps. He kneels down and then stands back up.

If we want to try the steps, I'd be willing to go down first. I dare say I probably have the best chance of easing down them, I can watch for any bad spots along the way. If I slip and fall into the gorge, you'll know they aren't safe enough to travel. If I can make it down safely, I can probably make it back up safely as well. At least I can scout what is at the bottom.

Keena pulls her rope out of her backpack. Tying off to a nearby tree, she tosses the length of the rope down the incline.

"I suggest you use the rope for the first 40 feet or so. This incline is extremely steep and slippery. Once we get an all clear from you, I will stay up here and assist the others down. Then will join all of you at the bottom."

OOC: when she goes down, she will untie the rope, put it back in her bpck and make the incline without the rope

Last edited:

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Kip take the rope, wrapping his arm around it loosely to act as a guide. He steps forward and stops at the top of the steps.

You aren't going to cut the rope loose on me are you?

The tone is half joking as he half smiles and steps out onto the first step, carefully testing his footing before getting both feet on the step. It's a slow process, (half-speed movement, if I remember right) as he continues step to step.

S'mon

Legend
Kip take the rope, wrapping his arm around it loosely to act as a guide. He steps forward and stops at the top of the steps.

You aren't going to cut the rope loose on me are you?

The tone is half joking as he half smiles and steps out onto the first step, carefully testing his footing before getting both feet on the step. It's a slow process, (half-speed movement, if I remember right) as he continues step to step.

GM: Descending the wet steps is a trivially easy task for Kip - at DC 5 to move uninterrupted, she doesn't even need to make a check.

Eventually she stands at the foot of the waterfall, the noise here is deafening where it plunges into a plunge-pool, then flows out down the defile
littered with large, sharp rocks and boulders. She can see now that there is no real path downstream from here, just jagged rock, but at the bottom of the steps is a path which leads through the spray behind the southern fringe of the waterfall, and continues up the other side of the bank. It's hard to see through the water, but it looks as if there is a pool & good-sized cave behind the waterfall.

S'mon

Legend
GM OOC: As nobody chose to play a Cleric or Druid, I've decided to stick with the original Fighting Fantasy source material and say there are no Clerics or Druids on Titan, while Wizards & Sorcerors can cast various Cleric/Druid spells, including the Cure spells (hence Yaztromo selling you potions of clw!) and even Raise Dead (it's available to Wizard PCs in the Sorcery! gamebook series). See: S'mon's Forest of Doom Game Blog: Player Character Creation
Since none of you have Wizard/Sorcerer PCs either, it's a moot point right now, of course. :)

I'll raise Undead CRs to take account of the lack of Turn Undead - that will work in the current group's favour.

Last edited:

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
OOC: That's an ominous observation. Sort of like when in a video game they put a save point right before you move to a new zone.

Kip looks around the general area where the steps let out. He eyes the path passing behind the waterfall. Again moving very cautiously, he steps out onto that path toward the waterfall, taking a few paces to see if he can get some kind of an idea exactly what is back there.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Kip looks around the general area where the steps let out. He eyes the path passing behind the waterfall. Again moving very cautiously, he steps out onto that path toward the waterfall, taking a few paces to see if he can get some kind of an idea exactly what is back there.

GM: To see any more you would have to pass through the curtain of spray at the edge of the waterfall, and thus enter the cave(?) behind the waterfall, moving out of sight of your comrades on the clifftop high above you.

Do you want to do that? :angel:

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Kip tries to squint to see through the spray, but alas isn't able to make out anymore detail of what is behind the falls. For a moment he considers passing through the curtain of water to see what lies behind there, but discretion becomes the better part of valor. He takes cautious steps back to the base of the steps and gives the signal that at least this area directly is clear and it's safe to come down. After watching the first person, whomever it might be, take the first step, Kip slips his daggers from their sheaths and stands ready...just in case.

OOC: Never said he was going to go behind the spray curtain, just to see if getting a little closer gave more detail :D

Cor Azer

First Post
Paaq hums as he peers over the edge, watching Kip's descent. Frowning, he looks closer at the jagged rocks, and then to Chera's bare feet.

"Chera, this may not be an easy climb... Are you comfortable trying it?" He eyes her, trying to judge her weight. "I might be able to carry you down..."

Remove ads