D&D 5E Game Design and Pizza Analogies

Obryn

Hero
Alright, so let's talk about D&D Next and design for a minute.

For starters, though, just to be clear, at this point I don't have much of a horse in this race. Even though I was pretty enthusiastic about the August packet, my group didn't much enjoy it during our pretty lengthy playtest, though in fairness it might have been the fault of Murder in Baldur's Gate. I dunno, but regardless, right now I'm very likely to buy the core set and play other games that aren't D&D Next - whether it's more 4e (starting a Zeitgeist game soon!), RC D&D, Savage Worlds, AD&D 1e, some variety of Fate Core, Dungeon World, 13th Age, etc. What I was mostly hoping for in Next was innovation in some way, but it's clear that not only is there not enough of it to win me over at this point. And, what's even scarier (IMO) is that there may yet be less and less of it, driven not by surveys but by - basically - shouting. Or the internet version thereof.

So I've seen a "pizza analogy" tossed around when it comes to mechanics like Damage on a Miss (which holy crap I am scared to even mention, but bear with me). More or less, it goes like this: I will eat pizza with or without pepperoni. You will only eat pizza without pepperoni. Therefore, we should not order pizza with pepperoni because then everyone wins!

I think that's not just a bad analogy, but a terrible approach towards game design. First because an RPG is way more complex than a pizza with a lot more ingredients, and second because only including stuff that nobody objects to is a completely godawful approach towards making a game. That approach towards design no longer has a goal of making a good game with strong design goals. It's to make a bland one. The least objectionable game possible.

So let's go back to the shouting. While we all make fun of the D&D Next 'polls' on their site (which truly are terrible) the actual playtest surveys were insanely detailed and not too shabby. The trend I'm seeing - and the pizza analogy above - resembles stuff like the so-called "open letter" posted here a few days ago. If you were masochistic enough to go to the WotC boards of late, you know pretty well that it's been a poop-show of craziness. And it's more of the same - several very vocal people trying very hard to overturn the designers' goals and make themselves louder than the survey results and the designers' own vision.

And it's terrible. Game design should not be driven by the loudest objectors, because there are other important voices who happen to be quieter. Objectors' concerns should be taken into account (heck; I wish I had been re: Warlords), but you don't make a good, innovative, new, exciting game by just ripping out anything that some people don't like. You're going to be left with very little that's bold, experimental, or progressive. And it's a shame.

Anyway, that's my two cents about the state of things these days. I hope that the game that's released is one that's riskier, and more exciting than we've seen, and that it has brand new, innovative stuff in it that I'll object to. :)

Wulfgar76

First Post
Obryn, the screeching haters are not driving the development of D&D Next, the more thoughtful cool heads you describe are.
This game is going to be the end result of some smart design, lots of playtesting, and much player feedback - not the bellowing hysterics of message board posters.

Thyrwyn

Explorer
Obryn, the screeching haters are not driving the development of D&D Next, the more thoughtful cool heads you describe are. This game is going to be the end result of some smart design, lots of playtesting, and much player feedback - not the bellowing hysterics of message board posters.
What he said. Panic not.

Wulfgar76

First Post
And I've noticed something else.

The loudest, most obnoxious 'haters' of D&D Next seem to all belong to a certain group that ALREADY HAS a specific edition they like (and a popular clone of said edition).
My question is this, if you hate 4e so badly, you hate 5e almost as much, but you just loooooove your awesome 3e-style game - why the crap do you care what D&D Next does?

Please shut your yap, go play some Pathfinder, and spare us your unhelpful noise pollution.

We need more pizza analogies than just the one.

5th Ed. D&D is like ordering delivery pizza - at some point, you're just thankful it doesn't have anchovies.

And I've noticed something else.

The loudest, most obnoxious 'haters' of D&D Next seem to all belong to a certain group that ALREADY HAS a specific edition they like (and a popular clone of said edition).
My question is this, if you hate 4e so badly, you hate 5e almost as much, but you just loooooove your awesome 3e-style game - why the crap do you care what D&D Next does?

Please shut your yap, go play some Pathfinder, and spare us your unhelpful noise pollution.
Funny. The most vocal 5e detractors I've seen are 4e fans, upset at the "step backwards".

So I've seen a "pizza analogy" tossed around when it comes to mechanics like Damage on a Miss (which holy crap I am scared to even mention, but bear with me). More or less, it goes like this: I will eat pizza with or without pepperoni. You will only eat pizza without pepperoni. Therefore, we should not order pizza with pepperoni because then everyone wins!
Not even a mention? I feel slighted.
;)

I think that's not just a bad analogy, but a terrible approach towards game design. First because an RPG is way more complex than a pizza with a lot more ingredients, and second because only including stuff that nobody objects to is a completely godawful approach towards making a game. That approach towards design no longer has a goal of making a good game with strong design goals. It's to make a bland one. The least objectionable game possible.
It's not about making a game with nothing that nobody objects to, or with nothing that is not t a favorite element, it's about not including the really big stuff. The deal breakers.

There are pizza toppings people don't like but will still eat. You can compromise on those. Things like green peppers and mushrooms and the like. The flavour is not so strong that it will break a 'zza. Which is why in my analogy I went with jalapeño (and not pepperoni), because everyone can choke down pepperoni and it's large enough that even dedicated vegetarians can pick it off.
Ordering a pizza with friends isn't about making the blandest pie possible, it's about giving everyone something they like, with a little compromise and bargaining.

I don't want to get into DoaM either. But I think it's safe to say that it's divisive. I think we can agree that DoaM causes arguments and many people do not like it, but just as many people like it. The number of threads is testament to that. The fact the topic has continued to surface again and again emphasises that it's a controversial element.
The inclusion or exclusion of DoaM should be carefully considered and not done lightly.

And it's terrible. Game design should not be driven by the loudest objectors, because there are other important voices who happen to be quieter. Objectors' concerns should be taken into account (heck; I wish I had been re: Warlords), but you don't make a good, innovative, new, exciting game by just ripping out anything that some people don't like. You're going to be left with very little that's bold, experimental, or progressive. And it's a shame.
You are right. You cannot please everyone. And you cannot just listen to the vocal objectors. And you cannot just take away anything remotely disliked. And there are some people you will never be able to please, or at least not without driving away other people. And sometimes, for the sake of making a better game, you have to do something that will upset people. Or add design that is controversial.

But, at the same time, if you ignore people's concerns you can alienate your fanbase. If you don't listen to your fans you can release a product that isn't what they want. And building a brand new audience can be very difficult.
It's very possible to make a great game no one wants to play. Or that appeals to a minority of the player base. Quality doesn't matter if you lack mass appeal. The world is full of fantastic products that failed. Music released by bands that was "too different" from their old sound, TV shows that didn't match the network's audience, and movies that were just not what people expected from the director/ actor.

Last edited:

For the sake of clarity, here's the most recent example of my pizza analogy. (Although, with the wording below, I believe it's technically a metaphor.)

Jester Canuck said:
When this topic comes up I always like to bring up my pizza analogy.

You're ordering pizza with a friend and you like da spicy. You'd like the pollo el fuego pizza. But your friend can't handle spice. Not having spicy pizza diminishes the meal for you but you can still eat an enjoy a pizza because it's still, well, pizza. However, spicy food prevents your friend from enjoying the pizza at all. While most pizza places will do 1/2 and 1/2 pizzas, this is never 100%; you won't notice a stray mushroom hidden under cheese but someone who is spice intolerant will notice a jalapeño.
It'd be the height of selfishness to tell a friend - or anyone really - that they cannot have any pizza they enjoy because you want food they cannot comfortably swallow.

The origins of this... metaphor... are my home life. Because, like most fat people, I like pizza. And I also like spicy food. However, Mrs. Jester cannot handy hot spices. At all. Her pizza of choice is Ham & Pinnaple, which I don't want to eat because motherf******g fruit does not belong on a motherf******g pizza.
This does not mean we both grumble and have a plain cheese pizza. It means we remove the offensive ingredients and compromise. We double-up on the ham and maybe throw on some other ingredients of choice. We find something we can agree on. I don't like mushrooms but I hate them less than pineapples so I'll accept those if it makes her happy, and so she'll ignore my Italian Sausage.
(This also means I keep a jar of pickled hot peppers, Sriracha, some fireball salsa, and an array of hot sauces in the fridge. So I can add what I want to my slices of the compromise pizza.)

I play a lot of RPGs. And for many, a focused approach is probably the best. Most games benefit from a narrow play style and singular theme. Because they're worlds and settings as much as role-playing games. Numenera is designed as a game to complement that setting. Mutants & Masterminds doesn't need to be a generic ruleset because it's design to emulate a certain genre.
Dungeons & Dragons is different. While there is a baseline world, and while there is a heavy amount of game lore, it's also a generic game system people use to tell their own stories. So it cannot be as focused. It has to be a little more generic. And, yes, it has to be that little bit blander.

Better pizza analogy:

You and a group of friends have decided to go out to pizza at a place that only serves pizza. Some are just along for the ride, others are real pizza connoissers, others are just really opinionated.

Due to the special deal you plan to take advantage of (part of the reason you went), you can only order one pizza. You're told that you can put a few ingredients on just half (or if absolutely necessary, just a fourth).

The first thing you do is decide if everyone can agree on stuff. Everyone likes cheese? Fred who is lactose intolerant knew were getting pizza and just stayed home to play FATE...I mean to eat something else. So you determine the ingredients everyone is game for. (Pun intended)

Then the passionate people start listing of the things they really want. Anchovies! Must have anchovies! And what they don't want. Anchovies! It sure as heck better not have anchovies!

You can either put together a pizza where everyone who came is satisfied enough with a fourth of the pizza to eat it, or you can put together a pizza that some people will love, and that others won't eat. Remember--even with the "compromise" pizza, some people will love their part of the pizza! Heck, most of the gang won't care much one way or another anyway.

D&D is a pizza, and we all want in on it. They are trying to make the pizza to accommodate "D&D fans," not just a small subset of D&D fans.

And while I wouldn't have made every decision the same, they are, in my opinion, doing it more or less right.

Remove ads