Gamer Significant Others

What is your dating status?

• Dating? Is that a new RPG?

Votes: 35 9.5%
  • Currently single, with some prospects.

Votes: 39 10.6%
  • Going steady.

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • Going steady with a gamer!

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Living with my SO.

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • Living with my gamer SO!

Votes: 14 3.8%
  • Engaged.

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Engaged to a gamer.

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • Happily married.

Votes: 107 29.0%
  • Happily married to a gamer.

Votes: 99 26.8%

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Aeson said:
I get the brother speech from time to time. You know the one. "I see you like a brother." I'd love to work up the nerve to ask if their into incest. KIDDING

I can't even count how many times I've gotten that speech. Ugh.

I find it funny how gamers talk about their hobby sometime as if it were a disease. Our SOs tolerate our participation, or potential SOs run screaming in the other direction. There is even some irony in the idea that openly gay individuals might be in the closet about their gaming, LOL.

It IS just a hobby, after all...and no stranger than half-a-dozen other hobbies I could name.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
DreadPirateMurphy said:
I find it funny how gamers talk about their hobby sometime as if it were a disease. Our SOs tolerate our participation, or potential SOs run screaming in the other direction. There is even some irony in the idea that openly gay individuals might be in the closet about their gaming, LOL.

It IS just a hobby, after all...and no stranger than half-a-dozen other hobbies I could name.
However, unlike painting, building RC cars, or model railroading, D&D has had the great stigma of being attached (albeit falsely) to satanism. It's still there among some people, but in all honesty I think that gaming is just another hobby, a very geeky one, but just another hobby.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I agree totally; it's just another hobby. I have friends who go absolutely UNsane over fantasy football leagues. On draft day they wear their favorite team jerseys, paint their faces, etc. And they look at me weird... lol

StupidSmurf

First Post
Aeson said:
I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Well I am in one sense of the word.:)

Let's put it this way. I actually dated one of my early gamers. For her birthday, I took her to Boston Garden to see Billy Joel. This was back in the days before ol'Billy began to suck, but that's a different topic for a different time.

Well, the concert went great, and as we were leaving the Garden, the girl happened to run into this guy she knew. When it came time for introductions, she introduced me to him as her "substitute brother". Twenty-six years later, and I still remember those words. When we got to my car, boy was there an argument. Actually, "argument" doesn't quite describe it..."controlled nuclear explosion" was more like it.

We eventually patched things up (several months later), and stayed friends, but man...The whole "brother" tag I just consider to be the most reprehensible piece of verbal emasculation ever devised.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Aeson said:
I'm curious do any of you still game with your ex?
One long-term gf took up gaming out of general interest but stopped gaming once we broke up. Another refused to game and was concerned that gamers ran the risk of attracting the unwelcome attention of spirits from higher dimensions who would seek to possess us through our unconscious channelling of other realities. Great girl, but mad as a box of frogs, I'm afraid...

Happily married 14 years to a wonderful gamer grrl. She started playing when I met her in high school (I was the DM), and continued as a regular member of my group until we married. Kids took her out of the action for a little while, but now the girls are old enough (13, 9, 7, 3) that we can both indulge in the pasttime once more.

Interestingly, we're the only married couple we've ever gamed with. There's another guy in our group of 7 that is married, and his wife games casually, but her job prevents her from joining us. The other four guys in the group range from 22 to 33 and are all single. The 22-year-old has an SO in another state he met online.

Vindicator

First Post
diaglo said:
i'm all for[cheers reference] Norm.[/cheers]

he likes beer & pretzels

and i never game without them.

Diaglo, I fear that your allusion will be lost on some of the youngsters here. Just so there's no confusion, let's all be clear, folks.

THIS is what gaming is about:

c_norm_03.JPG

Remove ads