Gizmodo: Dungeons & Dragons Has Burned Up All the Goodwill

Mallus

Legend
I think that's true for a lot of the Very (Mostly?) Online segment of the D&D community. But over the weekend I played with 14 people in 2 groups and the OGL fiasco came up zero times in conversation. Both campaigns are 5e. One uses a paid Beyond sub for book-sharing, the other Roll20.

SAVeira

Adventurer
I think that's true for a lot of the Very (Mostly?) Online segment of the D&D community. But over the weekend I played with 14 people in 2 groups and the OGL fiasco came up zero times in conversation. Both campaigns are 5e. One uses a paid Beyond sub for book-sharing, the other Roll20.
I have been saying this for awhile. There is a bit of an echo chamber, where this is getting a lot of play within the online D&D community. Elsewhere, hard to say. My players just do not care. In fact, more than one has told me that they have unfollowed or unsub a ton of individuals since this began as they have zero interesting the drama.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Hard to say.

I was quite surprised to hear from from my wife the other day, that some of our friends (who only started playing RPGs/5e a few months ago) had not only heard about it, but were apparently quite angry about what WotC was doing. Given how recently they started playing, I wouldn't have expected that they'd have heard of it, much less care.

Certainly the "Very Online" segment is likely to be watching the goings on most closely, but it definitely seems to have spread beyond.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
No more Goodwill? Where am I going to buy cheap used clothes?

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
In the four gaming groups I am a member of, WotC and the OGL it has been a constant topic for the past three weeks.
My very casual players have brought it up in our text chain when we haven't played since before Thanksgiving.

My wife keeps showing me things on her Facebook feed from friends of hers talking about it and she doesn't even play D&D herself nor does she talk about D&D at all. They're almost all library folks (she's a librarian) who are very angry about all of it - some of them are library folks who run D&D groups for their libraries so have basically been acting as unpaid teachers of the game to groups of kids for the last decade and they're actively talking amongst themselves about what to do. Those conversations are not going in WotC's favor from what she's shown me.

This feels bigger to me than the typical "online drama" around gaming normally gets.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Article quote:

Dungeons & Dragons is not the only game out there—and never has been​

Um? I guess technically, if you consider things like Arneson running his proto-D&D thing. On the larger scale, it definitely was the "only game" for a few years.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases