GM found! 0-level funnel pending!

doghead

thotd
I hope to have the game thread up this weekend but I want to see your characters first. If you've expressed interest in the game please post whether you are still interested or not so I know who we've got and how many characters should be rolled.

Interested.

By the way, random question. Do you have a setting style in mind for the game? Dark gloomy forests like central europe? Hot and dusty like southern europe? Frozen mountains and fjords like northern europe? Magical emerald green isle like ireland? Why do you ask you ask? I was fishing around for names, and having a idea of the feel of the setting is useful for inspiration. I also like giving setting, even if they are generic fantasy, some colour and tone. Its not particularly important.

Unfortunately, I'm just too slammed at work to fully commit to this now. Sorry!

Sorry to hear that Whizbang.

One of the things I did in my RL game during the funnel was to have each player roll once for initiative and then act for all their PCs. If I need to figure out a random PC to do something too I would base it on their luck scores (bad things happen to people with low luck.)

If I can think of anything else i'll let you know.

One initiative roll (and post) for all four PC's makes sense. I also like the "Bad Luck!" idea. Also, I snagged the formatting of your character sheets [MENTION=6774979]Dogmatron[/MENTION].

thotd

doghead

thotd
Don't you hate it when you get a wicked interesting combination that instantly evokes a story, which you later discover you didn't save.

*sigh*

thotd

fireinthedust

Explorer
Uploaded!

My parsnip farmer, my halfling Dyer, and my Dwarf could all be related to the ones posted just above them!

I'm really hoping my Squire makes it. I'll play it smart!!!

doghead

thotd
Uploaded.

I just noticed the title of the game. I wonder if I should have gone with the Elven and Halfling Mariner group. Time will tell I suppose. Given the HP's of the four, perhaps I will need those alternates :)

The four I chose in the end stood out as something of group. Both the Forester and Noble have some religious association. I see them as of the same faith, perhaps both on a pilgrimage. The Urchin they have taken under their wing, as the Spirit of Charity requires. Although who adopted who is open to question. With the Urchin's nimbleness and smarts, she would make a good thief. The Dyer, ... well perhaps he sees in the Noble a potential patron, or perhaps he is just travelling with them for safety.

thotd

GlassEye

Adventurer
Looking good!

Dogmatron, I'll take whatever tips you have to share about running DCC as pbp. Initiative is a good example of what I meant by concessions to the format. In a lot of games I've played here the DM rolls all the initiative rolls but resolves in posted order so player order may change from round to round but characters/monster order is set from the beginning. DM rolling initiative speeds play but if you all prefer to roll your own initiative we could try that and see how it works for a while.

Another thing: I've been struck by how much back and forth there is in the module. By which I mean the DM describes something in a general way, players describe actions, DM gives follow up description and asks for any skill checks, saves, etc., players make rolls, then DM describes consequences. That back and forth could take a long time in pbp and I was trying to think of ways to eliminate inconsequential OOC aspects. I could make rolls for you but I don't like that idea. Another option would be for you all to append a d20 &/or a d10 roll to your posts (using invisible castle or coyote code dice rollers) in case I should need it. Or you could give me a sequence of ten or so d20/d10 rolls in this thread which I could use when necessary (though not for combat) until I run out and ask for more rolls. Or maybe I'm overthinking things and we can just play it straight for a while to see how it goes.

Setting: You all will start in a very small town, Krivstad, with a dark past that it cannot seem to shake (more on this in the first game post). Krivstad is in a highland area with fertile farmlands, surrounded by deep and dark forests inhabited by who knows what sorts of menacing monstrosities and isolated from other settlements. Geographically, think central Carpathian mountains (western Ukraine). Politically, think late Kievan Rus after fragmentation of that state and before the Mongol invasion. Of course, my knowledge of history isn't that great so it might be easier to say remote, isolated, medieval eastern europe with a touch of Norse influence.

Dogmatron

First Post
I don't mind if you roll initiative, but you should just roll once for each player and let all his PCs go together.

As for the other stuff, i think you are over thinking it. These are the same issues all pbp games have. What works best (and this is my opinion) is a mix of PC and GM rolls...depending on what makes sense. Generally, for PC attacks and spell casting, the PC rolls their own to hit and damage and spell effects. When the GM attacks, he rolls the same plus would make the rolls for saves (for PCs) if applicable. For actions like searching, lock picking, etc. I've played both ways, where PC announces action and makes rolls, and where PC announces action and GM makes all rolls. This way the PC doesn't know if they failed or not.

GM making all skill check type rolls works faster, but some players feel that gives up "control". Personally it doesn't bother me, I'm still the one defining the action in the first place.

I'm fine with the GM making a roll and keeping the game moving.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Just checking in to say I'm still playing and that I rolled up my four characters on the random generator provided earlier. I'll post them tomorrow, but they are marvelously flawed. :)

Remove ads