• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great Villain Showdown: 4th Round [Results Posted]

The Serge

First Post
1. Hannibal Lecter. He eats people, creep you out, and you still think he's cool.
2. Darth Vader. This one is tough. Overall, I think Dracula's the nastier villain, but Vader has had a much larger impact on me.
3. Professor James Moriarty. The ultimate villain that set the standard for Bond, comics, and a whole host of others.
4. The Joker. The diabolical reaction to Moriarty in every way. The most recognizable villain this side of Darth Vader. He killed sidekicks, crippled sidekicks, and killed important secondary character. No one else on this list comes close to that kind of direct impact on a hero.
5. Megatron. Galactus eats planets... Megatron rules them, drains them, and rules them so more. Plus he has a cool weapon: the nuclear fusion cannon. That's too cool.
6. Sauron. Another tough one. Napolean is important in a manner similar to Moriarty and, really, he's deeper than most of the villains on this list because he reflects real-world villainy. However, Sauron is the standard upon which all "dark lords" in genre fantasy are based. His presence is everywhere in the LotR trilogy. His destruction ensures peace while Napolean's end does not ensure anything (unless one reads Tolkien's notes as to what happens after the War of the Ring).
7. Emperor Palpatine. Mr. Burns has dastardly (and funny) plots for Springfield. Emperor Palpatine had plots for an entire galaxy and played an integral role in the creation of one of the greatest villains in popular culture. And he shoots lightning.
8. Wile E. Coyote. You're joking, right? Super Geeeenius. That's all I have to say.

jasper

Rotten DM
the serge...8. Wile E. Coyote. You're joking, right? Super Geeeenius. That's all I have to say....
Hey serge acme package for you. Sign here !
scribble scribble
beep beep
tick tick tick
tick tick tick
tick tic
BOOM!

The Serge

First Post
jasper said:
the serge...8. Wile E. Coyote. You're joking, right? Super Geeeenius. That's all I have to say....
Hey serge acme package for you. Sign here !
scribble scribble
beep beep
tick tick tick
tick tick tick
tick tic
BOOM!
Hi... My name is MUD.

THUD!

Jarrod

First Post
1. Hannibal. Definitely Hannibal. Especially if played by Anthony Hopkins. HAL was... misunderstood.... but Hannibal had *class*.
2. Dracula. "Greatest tactician of his time". Would have been Darth before he became a whiny teenager...
3. Oooh, tough one. I'll abstain; I still think they would team up and take over the world.
4. Insanity and unpredictability vs. philosophy and "know thyself"? Thoth was a badass, but the Joker takes this one.
5. Megatron!
6. Sauron, only because he does "I've surrendered, now make me your counselor" just as well as he does world domination.
7. Mr. Burns. "Excellent". Not as proficient as Emperor Palpatine, but a better face man.
8. Wile E. Coyote. Voldemort's a dink. "Ohhh... I'm eeeeevil". Uh-huh.

Melkor said:
It seems some people don't aknowledge Voldemort as great villain. But all those that read Harry Potter(especially book 4 and 6) surely do.
Meh. His cronies have accomplished more "on screen" than he has, and they haven't accomplished much but finally bringing back to life a guy with a track record for stupendous failure against prepubescent punks. Plus, villains are somewhat defined by their heroes. And Harry lost a LOT of ground with me in book 5. Yes, yes, he's a 15 year old, I get it. Isn't he supposed to be a smart, heroic 15 year old all the same?

Anyone who consistently gets out-thought and out-fought by that kid can't handle the coyote, man.

And on the off chance that Voldemort suddenly developed competence in book 6 (which I've not read yet), even if he manages to hit Wile E. with something, the coyote will dust himself off and go buy another rocket. Voldemort's track record of abysmal failure guarantees that the coyote will outlast him.

DonTadow

First Post
ShadowDenizen said:
C'mon, people!
Support the Coyote! ;)

Canis pretty much stated my thoughts exactly.
Dude, Voldemort's been beaten by a tween. REPEATEDLY.
I'd vote for a broomstick over anything harry potter. Perhaps I'm biased because he's a blatant copy of my favorite boyhood detective, yeah, that's right you guessed it, Encyclopedia Brown, but his books haven't touched the best fantasy fiction authors.

Go Wile go....

Gomez

First Post
DonTadow said:
Perhaps I'm biased because he's a blatant copy of my favorite boyhood detective, yeah, that's right you guessed it, Encyclopedia Brown.

I just don't see the connection.

Leroy "Encyclopedia" Brown is a fictional boy detective, the main character in a long series of children's books written by Donald J. Sobol.

Brown lives in the fictional Idaville, Florida, where his father is chief of police. In the books, Brown will either solve cases presented to him by his father, often cases his father has been unable to solve, or by having someone walk into his detective agency ("Brown Detective Agency 13 Rover Avenue Leroy Brown President NO case too small 25 cents per day plus expenses"). Brown is sometimes assisted in his investigations by his friend (and "muscle") Sally Kimball. Two of the most frequent "villains" are Bugs Meany (leader of a gang of kids called the "Tigers" with a big dislike for Brown and Kimball), and Wilford Wiggins (a pre-teen con-artist who attempts a scam every week to get kids to give up money).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads