• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Great Weapon Fighting and damage dice from other sources

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
So, the title is pretty much self explanatory.
Does the GWF give extra roll on 1 or 2 (as long as you use a weapon with two hands) even for damage rolls that do not involve that weapon directly? Like i.e. the superiority die or the hunter's mark, or something similar?

No. Just the weapon dice.

That said, i don't see any major issue allowing it.

The text of GWF does not support that it only allows rerolls from the weapon damage. It states an 'attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands'. If you use Hunter's Mark or any other enhancing damage dice in your attack, that would count for the purposes of GWF. There is no clarification of this in the PHB errata to say that it only applies to weapon damage and not other damage that is part of the attack.

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
In that case there is a clear difference between the intent and the wording as is in the PHB. I wonder if this makes the issue largely academic and mostly a thing of DM concession....

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
My DM lets anyone with Great Weapon Fighting reroll all damage dice as per the PHB. This ranges from hunter mark/hex, to cantrips like Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade, or a paladin's smites. All of them are damage dice from an attack with a melee weapon after all. And even if it is against the intent of the rule, it doesn't seem to break the game. It does seem to make the players happier though. No one likes rolling low damage, especially when you expend a tightly limited resource like a smite. It just feels better to roll again. I'd certainly allow players in my game to reroll all damage dice just for the fun factor.

feartheminotaur

First Post
The RAW/RAI disparity caused a little tiff in our group, so the DM amended it to give eligible weapons the Brutal 2 property (re-roll all weapon dice that are 1 or 2). Hasn't been an issue. But in general, I haven't found smaller damage increases to affect the game at all. Attack increases? Well...that's another story for another thread.

Remove ads