Pathfinder 2E Greatsword Fighter vs Sword and Shield Fighter (2E Pathfinder)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I ran some simulations of a Greatsword Fighter using power attack feat and a followup attack and Shield Fighter using double slice feat and the raise a shield action. I played smart with shield blocking. I would block as long as my shield wouldn't break (unless I would be downed otherwise).

My results at level 4

Important stats were 18 str, 16 con, 12 dex.

Gear:
Breastplate
Sturdy Shield
Greatsword +1 and striking
Longsword +1 and striking

Sword and shield wins 12
ties 3 (higher initiative would win)
Greatsword wins 5

Essentially the sword and shield fighter won about 2/3 of the time.

Thoughts?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Thoughts?

Well I suppose that it depends what role you see your fighter and the "back line" having.

If your role is to keep foes back while your casters and your archers blast the foes to smithereens, go with a defensive build.

If your role is to kill the foes while your back line messes the enemy up/buff you, then go with an offensive build.

Are you saying that the board and shield is better at offence than the greatsword?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Am I missing a link? What were you testing? DPR? Survivability? Tactics choices?

Since it's commonly believed the shield style is bad compared to a two handed weapon I thought one of the best comparisons to counter that belief was to pit 2 fighters with those styles in a deathmatch and since the sword and shield guy won about twice as much, that to me was fairly strong evidence shields do not suck.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Since it's commonly believed the shield style is bad compared to a two handed weapon I thought one of the best comparisons to counter that belief was to pit 2 fighters with those styles in a deathmatch and since the sword and shield guy won about twice as much, that to me was fairly strong evidence shields do not suck.
The large breadth of history would disagree with 'common knowledge' there. Wading into melee without a shield is a movie thing. I mean, unless you weren't expecting to make it out alive, or were in a big formation of other two-handed weapon wielders for a specific purpose.

Man, I really want to look at these classes now.

Remove ads