Greyhawk - Return of the Slavelords! Part 1

Scotley

Hero
Verrick Human Rogue/Wizard

"Defrel and Norbac are right. We can't match their pace indefinately. Given the likelyhood of trouble I think we should find a sheltered place to rest. My horse is exhasted and I am fading fast as well. I have the feeling that the locals know we are coming." Looking at Refleev and Lorien, "do you think your woodcraft is suffient to convince the Duke's men that we have turned back?"

Karl Green

First Post
Refleev looks to Lorien for a second and then nods his head "Aye, there be many a switch back and hallow within these hills and this riverbed is old, with other ways cut into it. I be close to the end of my ropes also, but iffin ye want I will try an make a trail that turns back iffin Master Lorien can scout ye out a camp..."

[occ]Assuming that you are in agreement, if not I can edit the following, and I will bum up the timeline a bit...

Lorien finds a good location for the group and their horses to hold up, away from the riverbed and safe from the elements (it is fairly cold already tonight). Setting up watches and eating a cold meal, Refleev turns a couple of hours later and falls instantly to spell...after telling whomever is on watch to wake him for his turn also.

While noises and sounds can be heard throughout the eve... night birds and lizards, maybe even a hunting cat, all watches are uneventful. Sleeping in a bit, and waking all a few hours after sunrise, the party again moves out. When they return to the riverbed, no other tracks but the party's and the raiders that you are following are visible. Refleev shakes his head and says "Iffin they know we be a coming, why do they not send anyone back to check? Lessin they don't leave tracks..."

Just after midday, the party slowly make it way up a hill and looks down into a deep valley spread below. In the center of the valley (about 4 miles from your present location) a large black stoned fortress or manor can been seen. All get the impression that it is some vast and noxious toad squatting there, atop a hill, surrounded on all sides by a wretched and diseased forest. Three towers rise up from the main fortess's body like horns or spikes from a creatures back. Deep and dark windows looks like hollowed out holes or mutant eyes upon it unwholesome body. The trail of the wagon tracks leads straight into the ill forest, and a sense of forborne and sickness seems to cling to the very air you all breath...

Scotley

Hero

Karl Green said:
The trail of the wagon tracks leads straight into the ill forest, and a sense of forborne and sickness seems to cling to the very air you all breath...

This can't be good...

"Refleev, do you know this place?"

Someone

Adventurer
"Urgh, at least they stopped" says Norbac. "Let´s take a closer look, the forest will hide us. But before, now that we going to get into problems..." Norbac walks nex to to Verrick and touches his armor; "Trithereon ward you"

[OOC: Cast Magic Vestment on Verrick´s armor, +1 AC for 6 hours.]

Scotley

Hero

Someone said:
"Urgh, at least they stopped" says Norbac. "Let´s take a closer look, the forest will hide us. But before, now that we going to get into problems..." Norbac walks nex to to Verrick and touches his armor; "Trithereon ward you"

[OOC: Cast Magic Vestment on Verrick´s armor, +1 AC for 6 hours.]

"Yes, we must look into this. Thank you my friend."

Karl Green

First Post
Refleev shakes his head no and says "I have never seen such a place... it must be an old fort from the days when Urnst was part of the Great Kingdom, an outpost mayhaps? I like it not, there is no cover get up to the woods... we would be see by any in the tower long before we made those cursed woods."

There is at least a mile maybe two of open ground down into the valley before one would enter the diseased trees that surround the fort. Anyone in one of the towers would easily see people moving around out here, especially on the trail that the wagon obviously took. The terrain is not totally barren though, with many bolder and wide corps of weeds spread throughout the valley. Looking about, Lorien can see no obvious ways to get to the keep unseen but if the group moved slowly and with luck or stealth they might be able to work their way in unseen. If the group just wanted to ride their horses hard down the trail it would take them maybe only 5 minutes to make the woods and the cover it would provide.

Someone

Adventurer
[OOC: I assumed the forest was at hand, and cast the spell accordingly. Can I hold it until we get into the woods? Also, is there another way into the valley that could have a better access to the fortress?]

Norbac looks around, trying to find a better way to approach the sinister fortress."This stinks. If we have to get there without being seen we´ll have to wait the night."

Rayex

First Post
Geenaa the Furious - Female human barbarian

"Well I'm all for riding hard for the trees. We might be lucky, and if we're not... who knows. We won't be any help to the villagers standing here all day I know for sure." the young woman is starting to show some signs of impatience at having to wait.

wysiwyg

First Post
Lorien, Human Ranger

Lorien scans the fortress.
1. Where will the easiest spot to sneak in to the castle be?
2. How many sentries can view that spot?
3. Where is it in relations to the main enterance?

Last edited:

Remove ads