• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guns in a fantasy setting

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It wasn't firearms per se that ended the Middle Ages; it was cannons, capable of bringing down castles. In a D&D fantasy world, it's not clear that cannons would play that role.

Indeed, if you spin out the implications of magic, it's not even clear castles as we know them would exist: they are just as easily breached by powerful spells- Disintigrate, Move Earth, Rock to Mud, Summon Elemental, Earthquake, Dimension Door, etc.- as by cannon.

mmadsen

First Post
Let's recap and see if we can get everyone on the same page.

Elf Witch's original question is about how to add guns to a D&D-style fantasy game.

My first response is that early guns were considered, by soldiers of the time, as roughly comparable to crossbows, so you can simply use hand-crossbow stats for a pistol, light-crossbow stats for an arquebus, and heavy-crossbow stats for a musket, while remembering that guns are noisy and smoky.

(Early guns, by the way, were cheap and easy to shoot -- if not so easy to reload quickly in combat. So the typical response of making guns super-weapons, but super-expensive and requiring an exotic weapon proficiency, is almost exactly backwards.)

This brings up the issue that crossbows aren't handled all that well in D&D, either:
The problem with reskinning crossbows is that they never go up in damage. So you end up with the issue I see with bows and crossbows in DnD and that is at higher levels they are no threat at all.

Now, you can make the case that no weapon is handled well in D&D:
There's nothing different from an arrow attack.

That's HP, not guns. And again, that's a feature, not a bug. It may not be a feature you like, but it is a feature. If you want Rolemaster, you know where to find it.

I actually don't disagree with that notion that no weapon is handled well in D&D, but I feel that some kinds of combat are handled better than others.

For instance, in a sword-fight between two knights in head-to-toe armor, it does not strain credibility that they exchange multiple blows before one of them lands the telling blow, and that even the winner is rather beat up by the end. That seems realistic, and it matches the fiction; go back and read Le Morte D'Arthur for countless examples. Is it a perfect model of knightly combat? No, but it works, because we expect most sword blows against armor to be less than final, and because we expect the fighters to be worn down over the course of the exchange.

For other kinds of fight, the system does not match expectations nearly as well. As I mentioned earlier, in a samurai movie, we expect a fight to be settled by one decisive hit. Hit points can handle this well, I suppose, as long as no one has enough hit points to survive a single katana-stroke. In such a hyper-lethal system, no one would survive a second hit.

Western gun-fights tend to follow the same pattern as samurai-movie sword-fights, where a quick-draw is vital, because the weapons are hyper-lethal. Plot-protection rarely comes in the form of withstanding many hits, but rather in not getting hit: spotting the ambush just in time, shooting the attacker just before he shoots, etc.

A more realistic gun-fight would involve less-lethal guns, but not less-lethal in the D&D sense of causing no real harm until the nth hit. A .22 pistol, for instance, can kill you dead in one shot -- or not:
Point of reality fact; the .22 automatic lost a lot of it's popularity when a homeowner shot a burglar 8 times at point-blank range, and then the burglar proceeded too beat the homeowner to death.

I think this quality of "it could kill you" plays an important role in the feel of a Western, which should be full of gamblers pulling derringers, gun-fighters dueling at high noon, etc.:
But there is an aspect of DnD HP system that does bug me a little and that is the idea of heroes being surrounded by the town guard with more than a dozen crossbow bolts or say rifles pointed at them and they don't surrender because they know that even if every crossbow bolt or bullet hits them and they take maximum damage they are not going down.

D&D, by default, conflates toughness, fighting skill, and luck into its hit points, which makes it hard to tease out one element from the others:
Oddly enough, Kevin Sembieda- of RIFTS fame- first articulated in his game something I've seen other GMs do: 100% suicidal acts get rewarded by death.

To put it in context, he had heard stories about PCs in his game doing things like putting guns in their mouths and pulling the trigger to impress/intimidate someone because they knew the damage wouldn't kill them.

He said "No- this is wrong- the PC should be dead." he then talked about the abstract nature of HP, and how being THAT meta should be penalized by he death your PC courted.

Similarly, in a current 3.5Ed campaign, the DM has a little house rule: if a foe "has the drop on you", he will be able to act before you, and if he hits, it will be treated as a maxed-out crit. So far, I'm the only one this has happened to- I rolled a 1 for my stealth check and a modified 7 for my listen... Never heard the guy 'till the crossbow was inches away from the back of my head.

I opted to be taken prisoner.
If you have one trait for toughness, one for skill, and one for luck, it's much easier to say, "No, you can't use your luck points to intentionally strain credibility."

Anyway, how would you like your Western hero to deal with a dozen armed men? If the answer is not "get shot repeatedly, but win anyway," then D&D-style hit points aren't quite the right fit.

The problem is not that the high-level character is too awesome; it's the way he's awesome. And the in-game consequences. For instances, when you're going up against the toughest hombre in town, the obvious answer is... to bring a Buffalo rifle, because it does the most damage, and soaking up damage is what "tough" guys do, right?

AWizardInDallas

First Post
I don't think I'd consider it derailing. Your point:
The main reason I've avoided allowing firearms altogether in my games, is simply because the lessons of history. Historically, advancements in firearms pretty much ended the effectiveness of metal armor. [...] Firearms also ended the middle ages, so I feel that any campaign using firearms is at least pre-victorian if not renaissance.​
It wasn't firearms per se that ended the Middle Ages; it was cannons, capable of bringing down castles. In a D&D fantasy world, it's not clear that cannons would play that role.

Also, the late Middle Ages, when knights wore head-to-toe plate armor, had plenty of early guns, which eventually pushed armor toward much thicker (heavier) plates covering less of the body. D&D's combat system may not model this well, but there are hundreds of years of guns overlapping with swords and armor.

Totally agreed. Some goblin somewhere is already inventing a bigger gun. :devil:

Elf Witch

First Post
I have been watching a lot of westerns lately and I think this is the issue for me.

Take Kid Curry from Alias Smith and Jones he is fast scary fast he has his gun out of its holster and ready to fire before most people have even started to pull theirs.

But I have seen him surrender more than once when faced with more than one person pointing guns at him especially if they surprised him.

That to me is realistic far more than him letting himself get shot because the bullets can't kill him.

One way to do this is to use rules like they have the drop on you and if it acts like a confirmed crit and does max damage. I can see players hating this rule and really whinging over it.

Or asking your players to ignore things like their hit points and how much damage the weapon can possibly do.

When I DM I make two sets of stats for the town guard one set is for if the players play their characters in a realistic way IE they base their decision on other things then how many hit points they have and the max weapon damage as well as what level the guards are. If they do that then I play the town guard as the same level as the PCs and boy do they get surprised.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
A couple of quick 'patches' that might give you the feel that you want, with minimal tinkering- all characters inflict sneak attack damage as rogues of the same level against flatfooted opponents.

Drop Massive Damage down to Con.

Use both - the first round of battle can be incredibly lethal, after that it is more of a batter of 'duck and shoot' - closer to D&D territory. While it is unlikely that a high level character will be killed with a single shot, it is possible.

Being ambushed would really hurt.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Swashbuckling Adventures also had a fun system, to help keep characters alive with similar rules - If a character takes enough damage that a Massive Damage check is necessary then the character can instead opt to roll on a hit location table; before rolling the Fort save. So a character can lose a limb, eye, get a damaged lung, etc. instead of checking to see if they up and died. Good for villains, too. For steampunk it gives an excuse for prosthetics.... :)

Last edited:

KiloGex

First Post
That to me is realistic far more than him letting himself get shot because the bullets can't kill him.

Ultimately, I think this is the biggest problem that people have with firearms in D&D: They know that one shot from a gun can EASILY kill a normal person. Hell, even an untrained kid with a glock can do it. But when they're going up against a 3rd level fighter it may take a good 2 to 3 shots just to make him even worry about the situation, and by that time he's already closed ranks and made his enemy's gun useless.

This is why I like alternative systems in hand with my firearms. Warhammer 40K has a great system that is mimicked very well in the Pathfinder Ultimate Combat system Wounds and Vigor. It makes your average adventurer slightly more powerful than the regular commoner, but then what is all that experience really good for if it's not going to make you slightly better than the average person?

mmadsen

First Post
A couple of quick 'patches' that might give you the feel that you want, with minimal tinkering- all characters inflict sneak attack damage as rogues of the same level against flatfooted opponents.

Drop Massive Damage down to Con.

Use both - the first round of battle can be incredibly lethal, after that it is more of a batter of 'duck and shoot' - closer to D&D territory.
You could also borrow an idea from Buffy's rules for staking a vampire: you multiply damage by some large factor, and if the multiplied damage is enough to drop the target below zero, great; if not, they only take the original un-multiplied damage.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
You could also borrow an idea from Buffy's rules for staking a vampire: you multiply damage by some large factor, and if the multiplied damage is enough to drop the target below zero, great; if not, they only take the original un-multiplied damage.
BtVS used x10, which is easy on the math and obscenely large. Really nice for making guns deadly for everyone without being guaranteed death for anyone.
Of course, this will just increase the frequency of "why can't I kill him with a single sword-swing / arrow?" questions.

What Elf Witch is worrying about is as much a matter of player buy-in as anything else. One of the best ways to handle that kind of problem is talk with your players; if no one is going to do those kinds of actions then you don't have to worry about whether or not the game rules allow them. It becomes an aesthetic concern rather than a practical concern.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Remove ads