• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help getting old 2nd player to DM for 8 and 10 year old daughters

TheGlow

First Post
I was thinking of something like this.
Again I dont want him to steal the show, more like hide in the back and cheer them on and maybe distract/kite 1 enemy on occasion.
Do you feel 2 heals is enough? Should I go with something else super minor like a 1d4 heal/temp hp with a recharge on it?
shamo.JPG

I was thinking of something like this.
Again I dont want him to steal the show, more like hide in the back and cheer them on and maybe distract/kite 1 enemy on occasion.
Do you feel 2 heals is enough? Should I go with something else super minor like a 1d4 heal/temp hp with a recharge on it?
View attachment 57553

I would have no problem with that. I don't even think you have to put his attack's damage as low as you do, the typical level 1 monster will do something like 2d6+1 or 1d6+4 or something like that, with ranged attacks usually a bit on the low end, especially if its a secondary ranged attack from a skirmisher, so maybe 1d4+4 with the Blowgun and 1d6+4 with the Thick Stick would not be out of line. Of course if you want to keep his attacks really distinctly weak that's not going to hurt a lot. Just remember, XP-wise a Companion Character counts for XP budget, so they shouldn't be too much weaker than PCs, just designed not to be popping out a big nasty strike that say kills off the bad guy (inevitably even the weakest NPC/CC will eventually do something cool, but that's OK). Also, remember, CCs DO get XP and can level (you have to decide exactly what new capabilities they may get now and then as they go up), though you may not keep one around long enough for its stats to change much.

TheGlow

First Post
What other options are there to supply heals?
I saw dwarven armor has a power and some heal potions.
Its that so far for the last week ive had 3 diff people keep saying theyd show and dont.
Id rather not have a companion take an EXP slot, but if so then I think id rather have a more fleshed out NPC that can assist them, a leader type role. But I dislike the idea of the npc being the "leader".

Yeah, my one NPC leader was "Sarge", he didn't LEAD the group, he was just the adviser and tactical assistance (basically an NPC Warlord). He would shout out things like "No, go left! Don't let that one flank you!" (and use his power to shift an ally on square). As the PCs leveled up I retired Sarge, he was old and he'd taught the PCs most of what he knew.

As for heals, you've hit some of the main choices. There is also the Cloak of the Walking Wounded, Battle Standard of Healing, Belt of Sacrifice, and some more specialized healing items mostly for clerics. At higher levels there are some regeneration things too. Clerics also have powers like CLW which do 'surgeless' healing (its a daily power, heals as much as a surge would, but doesn't expend one).

I think if you want your NPC to be more of a leader type, then you could have an at-will attack that grants some buff/debuff (IE +2 for anyone hitting the target or a -2 to the targets defense) for a round. Again, this is similar to what clerics etc have. It won't steal anyone's thunder but it helps the party.

pemerton

Legend
An option that [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] has used is to build a "lazy" warlord, and then let the players run it not as an extra person in the party, but as a metagame construct.

Or if that's too abstract for a new group with kids, it could be a friendly "ghost" or "spirit" that inspires the PCs.

TheGlow

First Post
It looks like this campaign won't even be really taking off.
I initially started it for my 8 and 10 year old daughters.
The 8 year old finally opted in today, but 1 hit away from the last dire rat death she got bored and left.
The 10 year old bugs me constantly to play, but all it is is Hunters Quarry, twin strike and then she cries if I go into any sort of details on how a monster dies.
My wife was interested first day, and seems to be neutral about it.
Then the other 2, 1 friend from first session said he'd be able to come Sunday, maybe monday as well. He shows up neither.
Then my brother in law who was there for first session said we can do after work on Saturday. Proceeds to spend the night at a friends. Comes back Sunday night, just to go out again in the morning.
It's bad enough I'm not quite confident in my abilities and would prefer to be a player but everytime I try and set it up, it falls apart.
I found a store nearby that does Encounters and I may jump into that just to get this out of my system, but a very big let down.
Seems my bro in law quit and tomorrow is his last day. I think I'll pass the materials to him and tell him either he DM's or this is dead.
Such a shame.

And I thought today was going ok. 8 year old as wizard was spamming beguiling strands and tearing minions up.

To the end that @pemerton is speaking of, the same route is available for beginners via the "Companion" rules in DMG2. Its extremely easy to make a simple, Companion NPC in the vein of the (more complex) lazylord and let your girls (if you can switch them back on) run that in combat as mundane inspiration, manifest destiny or something more substantial such as a the friendly spirit/ghost that pemerton outlines above (there is modern genre fiction galore supporting that trope).

I'm thinking about starting a 4e thread on Companion characters as we've used several of them in my game to round the group out (and fill a key Defender or Leader Role) when we wanted to amp up the difficulty/complexity to BBEG fights to the max degree. I'm not sure how much use people would get out of it however, as it appears that most people have normal sized or larger groups.

We've had:

- The aforementioned lazylord (this was built as a fully on lazylord however and not a Companion analogue) once as manifest destiny and another time as inspiration from a group of felled settlers who died defending their home against insurmountable odds.

- A magical, animated sword as an Aegis of Assault Swordmage Companion; suite of actions/resources controlled by the Bladesinger.

- The Ranger/Rogue's trusty dog as a standard Companion Leader; suite of actions/resources controlled by the Ranger/Rogue.

- The Druid's Bear companion as a standard Companion Defender; suite of actions/resources controlled by the Druid.

- A Silver Dragon Paladin Mount at Epic tier as a standard Companion Brute Striker; suite of actions/resources controlled by the Paladin.

I highly recommend this technique for small groups or new players.

And don't sweat it @TheGlow. My 8.5 year old nephew is the same way. He is tremendously creative and full of imagination but I cannot pull him away from Minecraft or just running around outside and playing ball sports or make-believe, Calvinball games. I suspect he will come around in a few years and be able to harness the attention span (and sustained interest) for an adventure, and I suspect the same thing will happen with your 8 year old.

TheGlow

First Post
Sadly my 8 year old is a bit of a video game fiend now because of me. She even managed to beat FF13-2 which IMO wasn't a good game.
And she can play in sandbox type games for weeks at a time no problem.
I put her on something older with pixels "daddy its ugly, its all squares"
If she isnt able to play a game because someone else is on the tv or some other, she will hassle me to play something and watch.
Just no interest in d&d it seems.

Sadly my 8 year old is a bit of a video game fiend now because of me. She even managed to beat FF13-2 which IMO wasn't a good game.
And she can play in sandbox type games for weeks at a time no problem.
I put her on something older with pixels "daddy its ugly, its all squares"
If she isnt able to play a game because someone else is on the tv or some other, she will hassle me to play something and watch.
Just no interest in d&d it seems.

Yeah, you can't push them, as you well know I'm sure! Maybe she'll come around in a couple years, or maybe she's just not one that has the gaming bug. Too bad about your other players though, I know it sucks when people don't follow through, but maybe a round of playing Encounters will be good, you may be able to hook up with some more interested people.

TheGlow

First Post
Wow, these guys. They show up at my house 8pm with new chessex $10 dice saying they're ready to go.
My 10 year old starts hopping up and down. Tables a mess, and I'm tired from work.
Reroll!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads