D&D 5E Heroes of Krynn Survey is live!

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Love this pass at Dragonlance, and love the direction of character creation.

I'm glad initial ASIs are getting completely divorced from races. Give me a couple iconic, unique, memorable abilities, not some generic +1s.

I actually want to see something like this at character creation:
  • Just a +1 to any Ability score
  • Background has the +1/+1 or +2 ASI built-in.
  • This can be exchanged for a Feat.
And of course, encouraged to mix-and-match and homebrew your own Backgrounds.

This allows Feats to remain Optional in the game, while not "overpowering" Backgrounds (just shifting a benefit at character creation to a different bucket).

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Absolutely. They made their decision.

“Classic” DragonLance fans can kick rocks.

All the easier to segregate opinions they don’t care about from the survey info they are actually interested in.

Does anyone think some employee sits and reads thousands of people comment box opinions on these things?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Does anyone think some employee sits and reads thousands of people comment box opinions on these things?
Oh I'm sure somebody reads them, yes. But I don't think these opinions are going to carry as much weight as some would like.

Wizards of the Coast likely has the first draft of the book written already, and since there weren't as many survey questions about the lore and setting, we should assume that is the part that's already done. They aren't going to rewrite it because five strangers on the Internet have a problem with their lore. If the reviewers see off-topic comments in the survey about the parts of the book that are already written, they might make a note of it in a report, but they aren't breaking out their red pencils.

The survey was focused on game mechanics, specifically about the tone and balance. This suggests they are only looking for polish, not rewrites. If this is anything like the UAs that came out before Xanathar's or Tasha's, most of what we've seen so far will be in the final product...just with a few tweaks based on the survey responses.

Jaeger

That someone better

No Way. Skimmed if that...

The survey was focused on game mechanics, specifically about the tone and balance. This suggests they are only looking for polish, not rewrites. If this is anything like the UAs that came out before Xanathar's or Tasha's, most of what we've seen so far will be in the final product...just with a few tweaks based on the survey responses.

Exactly. WotC doesn't give a toss about Older fans of Classic TSR settings. They sent that signal out more than once, it's time for people to take the hint.

Which is a bit sad as frankly as DL didn't need that much lore change to make everyone happy. Literally one or two sentence tweaks here and there would have been fine.

The underlying idea for the Kender pockets thing is not bad. In fact in many ways it makes them better integrate with PC parties, as PC kender are not actively 'stealing' and annoying the group. It's easily explained by them just 'acquiring' stuff as they move about...

But nooooo, they just HAD to make it magical, and feywild, and oh so pixie cute...

WotC is intentionally swinging the Lore pendulum as far away from the new books H&W wrote coming out as they can, and still put DragonLance on the cover of their 5e version.

There is also the fact that they fell in love with their new 'multiverse' concept and everything must be made to fit in to that paradigm.

i.e. Which means that anything unique gets watered down to fit 'the plan'.

JEB

Legend
Oh I'm sure somebody reads them, yes. But I don't think these opinions are going to carry as much weight as some would like.

Wizards of the Coast likely has the first draft of the book written already, and since there weren't as many survey questions about the lore and setting, we should assume that is the part that's already done. They aren't going to rewrite it because five strangers on the Internet have a problem with their lore. If the reviewers see off-topic comments in the survey about the parts of the book that are already written, they might make a note of it in a report, but they aren't breaking out their red pencils.

Eh, I dunno. The Strixhaven UA is a pretty powerful counterexample, they completely redid one of the book's featured mechanics, and the UA only came out six months ahead of the book's publication.

Maybe the response has to be really strongly negative, though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Eh, I dunno. The Strixhaven UA is a pretty powerful counterexample, they completely redid one of the book's featured mechanics, and the UA only came out six months ahead of the book's publication.

Maybe the response has to be really strongly negative, though.
Ah, but they didn't really change the flavor of the book, they just cut the controversial rules material. Similar to how the Mystic and mass combat rules bombed out of Xanathar's Guide, and they just cut them.

Remove ads