• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Hivemind]What did you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skade

Explorer
Ashwyn said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't it matter that not everyone can afford the high-end machines?

You are correct. For me its a matter of staying at the low end of the curve. I tend to upgrade parts every year, spending a small amount on necessary components, until I have no choice but to upgrade the motherboard/processor.

I do not buy vendor machines, and I am left with that luxury as a result. There are relativly inexpensive ways to get around my means, but not everyone can afford that either. Until a month ago I was running a P2 350, which is rather old. I had tweaked it to the point I could run most anything but the most modern video games.

My mom runs a Circuit City. Floor model PCs often come available. The last one she sold was a HP pavillion, with a p3 processor, 40 GB HDD, and 128 MB ram for 100 dollars even. I can always let people know when deals come available.

Surefoot

First Post
Howdy just dropped in to say hi. I've just seen Othello in the theatre and it's very late and i'm almost going to bed!

Ashwyn

First Post
Skade said:

My mom runs a Circuit City. Floor model PCs often come available. The last one she sold was a HP pavillion, with a p3 processor, 40 GB HDD, and 128 MB ram for 100 dollars even. I can always let people know when deals come available.
That's pretty cool, Skade.:)

Surefoot: Hello!:)

Skade

Explorer
I have never run a campaign for ten years, though I did run interlinked campaigns in the same world for that long.

Dragongirl

First Post
I am using an old HP Pavillion p2 333 Mhz, 128 RAM
though if I can fix my other computer I will use a
1400 Mhz Athalon, 640 RAM

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Carnifex said:
:D *smiles sweetly and innocently*

BTW, have you done another update recently, Barsoomcore?
You're just not getting the Mack Daddy thing -- sweet and innocent my Aunt Fanny. I've seen you with your Little Red Wagon of Love...

Update, update, must update

Working on it now...

What? I'm at work, aren't I?

Michael Morris

First Post
Ashwyn said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't it matter that not everyone can afford the high-end machines?

I wouldn't be so fustrated at this bickering if we were talking about high end machines, but we're not. A properly maintained Win 95 machine with only a 133 mhz processor is able to handle these pages - you can buy something like that at a used computer store for around $50. Maybe I just don't get it. I have 4 computers on my home's LAN. The fastest of the bunch is a 2 ghz AMD Athalon machine with 3 hard drives with a combined storage capacity of 115 GB - Definately a pretty high end machine though I put it together for around $500. The next to slowest of the bunch squeaks along at 133 mhz and IT can run this script without a noticable slowdown - I just now bothered to check. So I don't know what the Hell DG has done to her computer, but it's not my fault.

I did notice she said she was running AoL 8.0 on the system. Maybe she should hunt up one of those AoL 5.0 disks, uninstall AoL 8.0 and install version 5.0. Installing new bloatware on an old system is the quickest route to slowdown purgatory I know of. My oldest machine runs Win 3.11 and there is no way I would try to run anything newer on it because it can't handle it - (Neither can it run the script because Netscape 2.0 is it's browser).

There is a definate art to getting the most oompth out of old hardware - one I know well because it wasn't too long ago that I was in college and unable to afford much of anything. I'm not trying to mean here. When I say "get a real computer" I'm saying get one that works. A 300 Celeron mhz machine running Win 98 SE with 64 MB of RAM and a 12 gig hard drive is everybit as much of a real machine as a 2.1 ghz Athalon running Win XP Home with 512 MB of RAM and 100 gigs of hard drive space. However, a 300 mhz Celeron machine trying to run Win XP or AoL 8.0 or some other bloatware is a joke. The moral of the story is to live within your means. If you have old hardware then use old software and you will have a good system. If you match old hardware to new software your system will suck. That just life, and the topbar I suggest adding to this site being slow is a symptom of a much larger problem, not a problem in and of itself or one I'm in a position to correct.

Carnifex

First Post
Dragongirl said:

At the moment I normally use my girlfriends lovely shiny good computer, a good processor and lots of ram (can't remember how much). I on the other hand have a not-very-good laptop, but it does its job - ie word processing for essays, dissertation and gaming notes, storing files for my gaming stuff, etc...

Skade

Explorer
Dragongirl said:

If you were in the Corpus Christi area I would gladly do what I could to fix it. What's wring with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads