D&D General Holding non-Paladins to their class vows

Have you ever disciplined or taken away powers from a character for not following their devotions?

• Yes, but it was really a one-off situtation.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I will do it for clerics.

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • I will do it for druids.

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • I will do it for monks.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I will do it for warlocks.

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • I will do it for paladins. (Just here for a baseline to compare.)

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • I never discipline characters for not following their class devotion.

Votes: 11 28.9%

In historic lore? At least for the FR, Yes they do become powerless.

I'm not up on other settings nearly as much for this, but given that FR is now the default setting I think the older lore applies to the setting in general.

When Bane died in the Avatar Crisis, his priests lost their spells until they switched to worshiping another god. Most jumped to Cyric or Iyachtu Xvim. Same with Leira when she died, though being priests of illusion and deception, they pretended. Some started to get their spells from Cyric as well.
Thank for the historical lore, but setting is a DM matter. So he may do some tweak.
So I would see no problem for a good fiendish warlock, explaining he made contact with fiendish energy by some ritual, bloodline, possession,...
I prefer letting freedom to players than babysit them,

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Sure ok. You can always just say “it’s up to each DM”.

Baseline lore for the default setting of D&D runs counter to what you posted and asked, which is what I was responding to.

Not sure if you thought the question was rhetorical or not, but it’s not because default D&D does work how I described it.

Of course any DM can change whatever they want.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Disciplining and taking away powers are two separate things, even if sometimes the discipline is to take away powers.

Clerics don't actually get a say in being a Cleric. Some divine emissary shows up one day and issues a mandate: "You are a Cleric now!" Too bad if the person wanted to be something else. Their god might stop giving them spells (in which case, some other deity might pluck them up) but you can't stop them from being a Cleric. It used to be that you stripped away all of their powers, but I find the idea of a non-consenting or reluctant Cleric to be an interesting character arc, and it's an idea which often reflected in myth or religious stories.

Druids have taboos, which traditionally that have been enforced with removing powers. Which are similar Paladin Oaths of a granola flavor, but they are "easier" to deal with because they aren't based on nebulous ideals.

There are already a bunch of threads talking about Paladin oaths.

Monks don't lose their powers. They can stop being a Monk at any time, but they don't automagically forget their training. It's a reflection of those eastern philosophies where people spend some time as a monk then move on to something else. They can be kicked out of or even hunted down by the monastery that trained them, but there isn't anything that actually stops them from learning how to be a better Monk by themselves.

Warlocks are encouraged to rebel against and test their patron. They need to do something for a patron to get more power, but they keep anything they already have. Changing patrons is possible, but bound to cause issues.

Salthorae

So I would see no problem for a good fiendish warlock, explaining he made contact with fiendish energy by some ritual, bloodline, possession,...

Sure, I have no problem with a character who starts the game good but has made a pact with a fiendish power. The fiend is going to string them along and try to tempt them at every turn. But if they continue to resist the Fiend and use its power against itself willfully, eventually that Fiend is going to stop giving them more power.

S'mon

Legend
In the recent discussions about Paladins and their oaths, @Oofta pointed out correctly that there are many other devotional classes. How often do as a DM do you take players of other classes to task for not following their devotions, up to and including taking features or spells from them until they atone?

I would reserve the right to have a deity, patron etc punish a PC, st least in settings where the gods are 'real', but it has never come up for any PC of any class, including Paladins, Warlocks, Clerics et al. IME players tend to worry about their gods'/patrons' opinions more than I do.

ccs

41st lv DM
I see the lowest example is currently Monks. Anyone want to share an actual play issue where they had to discipline a monk for not following their vows or devotion?

There haven't ever been enough Monks in any of the games I've run (any edition) for it to be a thing.
But I would absolutely discipline/remove abilities if it came to that point.

I guess the closest would be a kid at the shop about 10 years ago. He was definitely playing a Chaotic monk. But the character died (largely because of his chaotic actions) before it needed to be addressed & he rolled something different.

ccs

41st lv DM
I would reserve the right to have a deity, patron etc punish a PC, st least in settings where the gods are 'real', but it has never come up for any PC of any class, including Paladins, Warlocks, Clerics et al. IME players tend to worry about their gods'/patrons' opinions more than I do.

That's the real key.
The players need to know your stance on the issue & they need to believe that you'll actually apply consequences.
After that it's often a self-policing process.

Though in the case of Warlock patrons I do like to play them a bit more actively.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It's curious to me that you're willing to punish players with the natural outflow IC social consequences at the "human" level, but not any natural outflow consequences between a character and their divine patron who gives them the ability to even cast spells.
A fair question! Frankly, the main reason is a meta one. I don’t want to take class features away from the players. For a more Watsonian answer though, the gods are more distant in my games than I think is the typical assumption for D&D. A cleric certainly believes their powers are granted to them
by the gods, and with good reason. But there is also good reason to believe they are mistaken.

Maybe we have a different metaphysical starting point on the source of divine powers and spells that explains our divergent view points?
I think we do, yes. Or, rather, the metaphysics of my games intentionally diverge from the metaphysics of typical D&D. Like I said, the gods are more distant. Clerics entreat the gods through ritual and prayer, and can produce miraculous effects through them, but there is room for doubt whether the magic is truly the result of divine intervention, or of the ritual itself. After all, Warlocks summon powerful planar entities and bind or negotiate with them to convince or force them to do magic on their behalf, who’s to say Clerics aren’t unknowingly doing the same thing?

Salthorae

A fair question! Frankly, the main reason is a meta one. I don’t want to take class features away from the players. For a more Watsonian answer though, the gods are more distant in my games than I think is the typical assumption for D&D. A cleric certainly believes their powers are granted to them
by the gods, and with good reason. But there is also good reason to believe they are mistaken.

I think we do, yes. Or, rather, the metaphysics of my games intentionally diverge from the metaphysics of typical D&D. Like I said, the gods are more distant. Clerics entreat the gods through ritual and prayer, and can produce miraculous effects through them, but there is room for doubt whether the magic is truly the result of divine intervention, or of the ritual itself. After all, Warlocks summon powerful planar entities and bind or negotiate with them to convince or force them to do magic on their behalf, who’s to say Clerics aren’t unknowingly doing the same thing?

A very Eberron POV on "gods" and spell power, which is totally valid!

I grew up being exposed to the D&D novels first and then FR as my original setting I played in, so the gods are very much "real" and very much "interactive" with the world to me. There is no doubt that they are powering the faiths of the Realms.

Now... there is always room for shenanigans with that (e.g. Leira & Cyric or Ibrandul and Shar) or Grazzt & Waukeen from the ToT. But regardless, they are very much real and very much investing/invested in the people to whom they actually grant powers.

That is the other thing for me and my games and in line with Eberron and other thoughts. PC classes are exceptional not just the PC's themselves. In that, most priests to the gods, even in FR aren't Clerics, though certainly the upper echelons of the hierarchies are and would be naturally. Similarly, most members of a paladin order would be some NPC warrior with an acolyte feel to them. Paladins are exceptional.

So not only are the gods/patrons/etc super observant of those they've chosen to empower but aren't that many of them relatively to keep track of in the first place.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Clerics don't actually get a say in being a Cleric. Some divine emissary shows up one day and issues a mandate: "You are a Cleric now!" Too bad if the person wanted to be something else. Their god might stop giving them spells (in which case, some other deity might pluck them up) but you can't stop them from being a Cleric. It used to be that you stripped away all of their powers, but I find the idea of a non-consenting or reluctant Cleric to be an interesting character arc, and it's an idea which often reflected in myth or religious stories.

This may be a setting, but I don't see this as any sort of universal. It's not supported in the class fluff nor in the default setting. As a matter of fact, the opposite is supported in the default setting with clerics historic cases of clerics changing their god.

EDIT: Leatherhead proved me wrong in that it is an option in the class fluff. My mistake, didn't want to leave it standing.

Last edited:

Remove ads