House of the Dragon spoiler thread

Zaukrie

New Publisher
right but how did the baby die? the baby was crying. the dr says you have a son and then blam its dead? i think they edited out something . a line would have been helpful. Sire the baby died and we couldnt save it. she died in a horrible way and they could have said we couldnt save both.As a viewer i agree with you but it wasnt good storytelling

Happens all the time on television. probably a ton on shows like greys anatomy. plus we had white walkers killing babies in GOT
Ya, I don't know why we need that at all. Babies die all the time. I actually found it more powerful to see the wrapped body.

I find i don't need the gore, frankly. They could make the same points without it.

As for the prince, he's an interesting mix. He seemed very caring at the funeral, for example.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
right but how did the baby die? the baby was crying. the dr says you have a son and then blam its dead? i think they edited out something . a line would have been helpful. Sire the baby died and we couldnt save it. she died in a horrible way and they could have said we couldnt save both.As a viewer i agree with you but it wasnt good storytelling

Happens all the time on television. probably a ton on shows like greys anatomy. plus we had white walkers killing babies in GOT
I understand . You want more information than I want.

There is a film by Paul Verhoeven that I think is the best medieval depiction called Flesh and Blood. There is a superstitious religion, dirty, nasty, debauchers of people. It's shocking to watch because its so contrary to our modern values and norms. I think its a good exercise to examine that once in awhile. The scene with the prince's speech is just such an occasion. It's so out of the ordinary, a den of debauchery, yet still an adherence of respect for authority, thats just great writing.

For the prince, they seemed to be developing a relationship here. As you seen one scene hes with a madam, and then he shows her his dragon. Thats foreshadowing the closeness of that relationship. I wouldn't call it gratuitous either.

I had more an issue of them making face hamburger out of random knights. I mean, is it typical for a dozen or so men to buy the farm at these tourneys? That seemed a little over the top to me. Especially, in contrast of the prince yielding. Why did all these other guys just eat it?
It seems you know more of the story than I, to me it looked like a throwback to Tyrion and Shae but without the fun.

I understand . You want more information than I want.edw
It's interesting - I feel the opposite way. To me, the scene of the forced Caesarian was TMI: unnecessarily gratuitous, and its visual horror actually detracted from the impact of the king losing his wife (and child) after being confronted with an impossible choice. What we didn't see was his emotional reaction upon learning that his heir had died, which struck me as a missed opportunity for development and audience investment in the character.

I felt the "tourney" was overly brutal and felt more like a gladiatorial contest. It seems that this kind of attrition amongst your mounted aristocracy wouldn't be very sustainable, but maybe it's intended to demonstrate the overall decadence of a kingdom that's been at peace for so long.

Zardnaar

Legend
The house succession rules are moronic. Basically there are none.

Daemon or Rornaye(sp?) Should be the heir depending on the rules with the heir after that being the queen that never was son at least until one of them has a kid (or male kid if it'sale preference).

The reason they have succession laws fair or not was to prevent situations like this. The dynasty has been in power over 100+ years by now.

Dagger used to kill the night king made a cameo.

I liked it though probably not as good as S1E1 of GoT hard to say.

Instead of 5 kings I can think of three claims but when two rude dragons the third won't matter to much.

Dioltach

Legend

The baby is in the maester's arms, and makes a choking noise. The maester looks worried. I think that's all you need, particularly in a show that's about a war of succession.

Remove ads