House of the Dragon spoiler thread

BRayne

Adventurer
Yep, but then uppity little Arrax decides he has to have a go at the biggest, baddest dragon in town ...

Yeah, I think he was only intending to scare Luke, maybe even force him onto the ground so he could take out an eye ... but Vhagar had other ideas. No uppity little dragon is going to breathe fire in her face and get away with it!

To be honest Vhagar probably thought Visenya had an eyepatch now and somehow the Dornish had stolen a dragon

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I guess Viserys was correct, their control of the dragons is an illusion. Im betting we are gonna see more dragons gone wrong ahead!

pukunui

Legend
I guess Viserys was correct, their control of the dragons is an illusion. Im betting we are gonna see more dragons gone wrong ahead!
I expect most of the dragons will die during the civil war ... given that the last dragon (pre-Daenerys) died during the reign of Aegon III, who was only the seventh Targaryen to sit on the Iron Throne and the first to do so after the civil war ended.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
There are no good guys, clearly. Maybe the white worm? To be clear, it is starting to get harder to watch, the lack of anyone I want to root for.

I get it, she's human. All the almost good guys fill history with their mistakes. What if we got an almost good guy that didn't do most everything wrong. They could still lose, but it would be a refreshing change for this show.
If given a character that doesn't make mistakes . . . . wouldn't be very realistic or relatable. Boring show. However, I get it to a point, watching a character make a mistake that, to the viewer, just seems terribly stupid . . . can be frustrating.

No good guys . . . . the show sets us up to root for the women central to the story, Rhaenrya, Alicent, Rhaenys . . . and Rhaenyra's kids are set up as doomed innocents . . . . but with the horrible stuff all three women pull, it is getting harder and harder to root for anybody. In the Game of Thrones series, all sorts of horrible things were being done . . . . but we had the Starks, who generally made moral choices and were easy to root for. House of the Dragon, not so much.

And Rhaenrya's kids . . . just come across as weak milksops just waiting for a bigger dragon to chomp them to pieces . . .

So as always I'm late to any series - I just want to add (I suspect) to the appreciation of the show.
Most importantly besides all the other great casting, spectacular performances, writing, special effects, directing and what not, my ABSOLUTE favourite is Paddy Considene so I was REALLY happy to see the below excerpt of an article (dated 7 September 2022) about him in this show. It articulates far better than I would how amazing he is in this.

“In some ways, I think they’ve made some improvements. I’m particularly thinking of Paddy Considine’s portrayal of King Viserys,” he (GRRM) told the podcast Game of Owns.

“Viserys, when I wrote Fire and Blood, was I guess not a character who particularly engaged me. I saw him as … I kind of liked him, but what Paddy Considine has done has, to my mind, made him much more of a tragic figure and less of an amiable guy who doesn’t really realise what’s going on around him.

“This is not the first time this has happened to me with adaptations. Sometimes you get an actor, director or screenwriter who changes your stuff in a way you like. You kind of wish you could go back and do that version.”

A month earlier, Martin wrote something similar on his personal blog, saying he was “hugely impressed” by the show’s version of Viserys, and Considine had given the character a “tragic majesty that my book Viserys never quite achieved”.

The Viserys originally crafted by Martin is a bare bones version of what we see on screen. He’s a personification of the idea, which pops up several times in Martin’s literature, that a good person is not necessarily a good ruler.

Viserys is a conflict-averse, indecisive people pleaser. He isn’t evil like Joffrey or ruthless like Cersei, but in the wrong circumstances, his haplessness can do just as much damage.

The show has taken that outline of a character and added an astonishing amount of depth, turning a person who readers of the book may have expected to be forgettable into someone equal parts maddening and sympathetic.

Remove ads