D&D 5E How are people currently feeling about 5e?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Optimistic that I'll like the core game and overcome my own 'out of the box'ism and be willing to pick options, exclude options, and house rule new rules when necessary like we did with every previous version.

Pessistic on the niche hobby as a whole on the number of gamers who won't be happy unless the 'out of the box' core version matches their specific gaming practices, preferences, and principles despite it being a syncretic game.

If we tend to be unwilling to modify, ignore, improvise, and add to the existing rules versions already in print for D&D (including every fantasy RPG with magic and dragons) which already appeal to different styles, I have little hope for the same people to suddenly 'get' the often repeated Rule 0 from each version of the game.

Syncretism
noun 1. the attempted reconciliation or union of different or opposing principles, practices, or parties, as in philosophy or religion. ... Or roleplaying.

Dordledum

First Post
Cutiously optimisitc, but Monte Leaving again doesn't offer me much hope.

Will probably give 5th edition a chance, never even bothered with 4th.

Also skeptical about the playtest even being available to us European players.

It is way too early for me to say. Cook leaving so suddenly raises some legitimate questions...but WOTC is in an odd spot so I am not expecting the edition will be my ideal game by any stretch. Even though I tolerated a lot of 3E, i really haven't been satisfied with WOTC management of the line (the initial core phb, dmg and mm for 3e i enjoyed but i disliked strongly the supplemental material). So my expectations are not very high to be honest. That said I have been impressed with Mearls and co, when he has made public statements and taken questions. I just haven't been wow'd by the support material over the years (The castle ravenloft redo was the worst module I have ever purchased from any company). For me to come back on board I need to see they can at least do basic things like modules and flavor books because those are just as critical to me as the core game.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I'm looking forward to D&DNext way too much. I'm damn sure I'll buy the "core 3" books on day one, and we'll be playing it within 2 weeks of release as our regular weekly D&D game.

It has little to do with my expectations for the game being "my perfect D&D," but is more about my prefreence to play "the currently supported official D&D."

erleni

First Post
Not very optimistic. All I've seen is leaning too much towards older editions stuff. But I'll wait for the playtest and see...

Very optimistic. But I am not that hard to satisfy. Maybe if 5e was not on its way, I would have backed Myth and Magic, 2nd edition. Now I first wait for the playtest of 5e and then I´ll test both games.

From the first reasing I like myth and magic. And It has the "proficiency rank system" Mearls talked about in 5e, and it looks reasonably well. Also numbers are deflated. HP don´t go up too much. So maybe this could be the game I am looking for... but: 5e has design goals along those lines. They are doing a great job so far, not rushing out anything. Allowing us to participate. I will surely test it. At last, it is D&D. ;)

Dornam

First Post
I bought the 4e "preview" design books and agreed with almost everything said there. I didn't like 4e.

I like almost everything thats being said now about 5e.
I learned that this may mean nothing and so I feel nothing.

On a sidenote I think it is a mistake to make a development semi-open to the public for such a long time and feed the masses with small bits that can easily be taken out of context and ultimately do not say a lot anyways.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
It has a nice beat but I just can't dance to it.

I feel 5E has murdered and defiled my childhood. I feel D&D Next is the last chance at redemption for the human race, a great shining beacon on a hill.

If anyone has feelings beyond interest/disinterest at this point in development of the new edition, they are exaggerating a bit. There is not enough information out, other than goals and PR, or lack of good PR, to make a more impassioned decision.

I guess worry or optimism over the development so far is fine too, but let's not dive into hyperbole of Edition Apocalypse or D&D messiah.

It is never happy for a lead developer to leave a project, but if a developer leaves, it is better early in production than later. I think Monte's departure is a negative to the fee fee chart.

Open playtest starting when promised is a nice, albeit low bar to clear is a slight positive to our 5E feelings.

Ridiculous polls at end of blogs or L&L as 'coversation' starters. Big bad feelings.

Mearls design goals for start of development, overall, fighter, rogue, etc. For me, big positive.

Overall interest, discussion and breadth of topics about D&D past and future. Big positive.

So overall, I am interested and feel slightly optimistic.

Remove ads